Thread: Difficult Topics to Tackle in Writing

Lightbulb Difficult Topics to Tackle in Writing

How do you write about Insanity or include insanity in a character?
    and
    What do you find difficult to write about?
    Last edited by cacian; 11-29-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Insanity is extremely easy to write about. If you're not insane how come you're writing?
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

Quote Originally Posted by WolfLarsen View Post
    Insanity is extremely easy to write about. If you're not insane how come you're writing?
    How come I am writing? I am not insane and therefore I write.
    I was wondering how would one write an insane character without sounding extremist.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    How come I am writing? I am not insane and therefore I write.
    I was wondering how would one write an insane character without sounding extremist.
    What's wrong with being an extremist? Extremist writing is more interesting! And insanity can be a form of extremist individuality (depending on the case of "insanity"), and "normality" is often just a form of extremist conformity.

We are all just primates with brains not always well-wired for what we are trying to make them do, because basically we are animals. We are mammals who have evolved from a form of rodent that survived the dinosaur age. Our rather limited brains are having a difficult time of it in modern society, particularly as modern society is rather chaotically "organized" in the interests of a privileged few.

Obviously the people on the street who are screaming at somebody who isn't there are mentally ill. But how do you know the normal acting person at work sitting at the cubicle next to you isn't mentally ill as well? Maybe they're just better at hiding their mental illness. Perhaps most people are mentally ill, in some form or another. What do you expect from a brain that came from a monkey which in turn came from some form of rodent?
    "...the ramblings of a narcissistic, self-obsessed, deranged mind."
    My poetry & other stuff on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr...or=Wolf Larsen

Quote Originally Posted by WolfLarsen View Post
    What's wrong with being an extremist? Extremist writing is more interesting! And insanity can be a form of extremist individuality (depending on the case of "insanity"), and "normality" is often just a form of extremist conformity.

We are all just primates with brains not always well-wired for what we are trying to make them do, because basically we are animals. We are mammals who have evolved from a form of rodent that survived the dinosaur age. Our rather limited brains are having a difficult time of it in modern society, particularly as modern society is rather chaotically "organized" in the interests of a privileged few.

Obviously the people on the street who are screaming at somebody who isn't there are mentally ill. But how do you know the normal acting person at work sitting at the cubicle next to you isn't mentally ill as well? Maybe they're just better at hiding their mental illness. Perhaps most people are mentally ill, in some form or another. What do you expect from a brain that came from a monkey which in turn came from some form of rodent?
    wow I happen to think I am not a primate and therefore I think insanity is to do with humans and never animals.
    There is no such a thing as an insane animal and yet there many insane people out there.
    I decided to redefine insanity as some type of illness that lacks intelligence and so insanity can be a lack of fluidity in meanings and behaviour.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly