Thread: Contest: Christmas Ghost Stories

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Contest: Christmas Ghost Stories

Christmas ghost stories have long been a part of the festive Christmas season. Just ask Charles Dickens. Now is your time to show that you can write a Christmas ghost story as delightful or creepy as one by Sheridan Le Fanu, Algernon Blackwood or Ambrose Bierce. It is in you, you know it is!

Please submit to me by December 15, which will leave us one week to vote. The stories should be between 2000-2500 words long. Your entry should remain anonymous. Should you reveal yourself or post your story elsewhere on the site, you will be removed from the contest. Once the contest is over, you are free to post your story and reveal yourself as the author.

I look forward to your entries, so get to writing, and let's get scared!
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

This sound spooky haha Qimissung. Thank you for the contest! Great idea.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    Does it have to be a ghost, or can it feature frightening creatures that are actually alive? I'm asking cause this could be a chance to write a story that features my ex-mother-in-law.

Thanks, Qimi
    Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As it happens, I'm in the middle of writing a ghost story... and as it happens I'm about 8000 words in and only about a third of the way through it. I guess that disqualifies me (the miniscule chance of me finishing by mid-December notwithstanding)! Though I might try and pen something shorter, if I can.

Great idea for a contest!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHeart View Post
    Does it have to be a ghost, or can it feature frightening creatures that are actually alive? I'm asking cause this could be a chance to write a story that features my ex-mother-in-law.

Thanks, Qimi
    I think an ex-mother-in-law could, in the right hands, be terrifically scary , DocHeart. I dunno. It's supposed to be a ghost story contest. Can she be a ghost/monster? Algernon Blackwood wrote "The Wendigo," which was about a pretty scary monster/spirit.

Sounds like quite an ambitious undertaking, Loka! I'm sure your fertile imagination can come up with version or variation of this, or even something completely different. I look forward to entries from all of you.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein

Santa in your mother lingerie.

Blog Entries
    Is anybody interested in doing this? Because I've gotten one entry. If you are interested, please PM me and let me know the time frame you need to complete your story. Otherwise I'll be calling off the contest.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I never did manage to find time to write a slimmer ghost story - I'm sorry to hear that there hasn't been much take up!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Lokasenna. It is a busy time of year, I know. So my next question is, would you all be interested in something like this for next year? Would you prefer it to be more generic, simply a ghost story contest?

Thoughts, anyone?

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    Hi qimi,

It's a pity that there wasn't enough entries to make this happen.

I think the Christmas ghost story idea is great, so I would suggest you run it again next year. Perhaps allowing more time would be useful, though -- for this one we had about three weeks, but I reckon six would be better.

More frequent topic bumps would also remind people that this is going on.

And finally, why not contact the forum's short story writers by PM when something like this is going on? "Dear X, I know you enjoy writing short stories. This is just a kind reminder that..." You know what I mean.

Just some thoughts.

Best,
    DH
    Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your input, Doc. Actually, I did contact some of the short story writers. I didn't hear back from any of them. However, you are right about bumping the thread more often. I realized when I offered this that it was awfully short notice, but I went ahead with it anyway. I think I'd need to start it around the beginning of November next time, maybe.

I think you'd get a lot more reception to a simple Christmas story.

Maybe it's just me but I have a hard time equating ghosts with Christmas. After Dickens' story everything else seems like an anti-climactic rip-off.

Let's save ghosts for Halloween and warm-&-fuzzy for Christmas. I mean, let's reverse it ... how would YOU like to read a story about Baby Jesus out trick or treating? See what I mean ? ... it just doesn't work.

Contest: Christmas Ghost Stories

Ahah creepy....great idea for a contest ! sure !!

Hi, Qimissung
    Very great idea.

Blog Entries
    Although that short story contest is past, there is a current short story competition that is looking for entries:

http://www.online-literature.com/for...41#post1269641