View Poll Results: Poetry Contest: What TiME is it now?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • God Only Knows

0 0%
  • The Photon's Frame of Reference

5 21.74%
  • Time

0 0%
  • Time, it goes so slowly

5 21.74%
  • Inside a Box Inside a Bigger Box

3 13.04%
  • Godsong

0 0%
  • The Time is Now

1 4.35%
  • Dandelion Clock

8 34.78%
  • Our timing was good...

1 4.35%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: What TiME is it now? Poetry Contest

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Poll: What TiME is it now? Poetry Contest

This poll is now open for voting. Please choose the one you like the best. The poll will close (for definitely sure!) on December 15 at 10 p.m. Central Standard U.S. time.

Happy Voting.
    Last edited by qimissung; 11-26-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Ok I have now voted. An impressive turnout of poetries and all worthy of a win.
    Good luck everyone.
    Last edited by cacian; 11-26-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    An impressive turnout indeed - it's been a while since a poetry contest had this many submissions.

There is also clearly some very good poetry here - I'll take a little time before voting, as right now I'm hard pressed to pick a favourite.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

I wish a cascading point system was possible in the polls, since I hate having to pick just one when I like several.

Also, is it normal to do public rather than private polls for contests like these?
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Excellent poems. Is it too late to make the results private?

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry, it is. I hope you'll vote anyway, Tony. No one is going to track you down, I promise. And yes, we have always done public polls.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Really fantastic poems. Worth keeping. Tough decision.

Blog Entries
    A three way tie as far as I'm concerned. Will sleep on it - for a week.

Edit: There, I've voted.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 11-28-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    ay up

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung View Post
    No one is going to track you down, I promise.
    /me lubricates chainsaw
    Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you've got the makings of a ghost story there, DocHeart!

Justifiably inexcusable DocHeart's Avatar
    Methinks it is TIME for some more votes
    Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine...

Yes thanks, I'll vote later.

Cheers, Neely.

Whoops, I didn't mean to post on the thread.

Still, on a chalk plateau Bar22do's Avatar
    I wish I could vote for more than just one poem... Another good choices would be the Box in a Bigger Box or Dandelion, but all these poems are interesting! and so very different one from the other; I spent a delicious long (?) MOMENT pondering time... Thank you all the poets, thanks Qim for your initiative!

This is a spectacular collection of poems, all of them with very fine moments and things to recommend them (and those here that know me know I'm not an easily impressed critic). A few words about each:

God Only Knows: I love the aphoristic, almost parable-like humor in this. That last line definitely had me grinning. I also like how, despite the brevity, we get the detail of St. Augustine fetching the watch “from the poke by his side.” Only negative is the lack of meter given the rhymes and half-rhymes.

The Photon’s Frame of Reference: Love the subject matter, and we need more poets writing about the innately poetic nature of quantum physics. The paradox of the photon being everywhere, so not feeling itself moving has an almost metaphysical quality to it. Only negative is that the last rhyme seems a bit arbitrarily tossed off.

Time: Love the sound play in this one. The lack of capitalizations and the fable-like quality makes it read like a piece by ee cummings. Again, only negative is that last rhyme pair; not sure what “flies the truce” means, and is it “its duce” or meant to be “it’s duce”? Either way, I’m not sure of the meaning.

Time it Goes Slowly: Reminds me of a Renaissance poem. The line “their song was sung” is reminiscent of Tichborne’s “My Prime of Youth is But a Frost of Cares” in its almost hymn-like refrain. I also like the unique use of hexameters. Again, I think the ending is a bit haphazard, but I like everything else.

Inside a Box Inside a Bigger Box: I like reference to Dali’s “melting” clocks. The metaphorical conceit of the great writers awaiting us like dogs is wonderfully unique. The whole piece has a wonderful combination of modern and classical techniques. I especially like the ending’s “Not as… But as…” construction, where the “But as” clause is given three lines over the “Not as”’s two, emphasizing that, however numbing the latter is, the former is a kind of oasis.

Godsong: Beautiful—like George Herbert or Gerard Manley Hopkins meets modernism. There is certainly that Biblical combination of simplicity and poignancy together. I also love the soundplay, especially in the “The silent sea / stood unheeded, / fields unfarrowed, / fire unheeded, / mountains and meres, / but men unknown.”

The Time is Now: I love the line “Living in the moment is all we can afford,” as well as the closing couplet. I wish the meter was more consistent, given the rhyming quatrain construction.

Dandelion Clock: Ravishing images, wonderful rhythms. I love the subtle repetition of subject/verb always being placed at the beginning of lines, as it gives the piece a kind of tick-tock rhythm, and every time the pattern is violated, there is a purpose behind it (eg, in ho the “feathered seeds” take their time getting to verb “found” in the next line). I also love the asymmetrical stanza construction, with the first, lengthier part recounting what happened before the goodbye with its wealth of verbs and selective use of imagistic details; and the second what happened after, ending with three lines of wonderfully composed images in perfect balance. A sublime poem; better than anything I’ve read recently in any major poetry magazine.

Our timing was good…: I like the combination of the simple, anapestic dimeter ABCB verse and all the hints of something rather dark going on under the sing-song rhythm and rhymes. The fourth stanza is especially outstanding, with the almost Burns-like “Your kisses are sweet” leading to the darker idea of the heels being red, and that redness connecting to the blood of the dead.

All good pieces; my vote is for Dandelion Clock.
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

Enjoyable reads, well done, but there was one clear outstanding piece for my money, very good indeed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast