Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 86 of 91 FirstFirst ... 36768182838485868788899091 LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 1356

Thread: How's The Weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    A wonderful piece of shadenfreude!

I can't stand hot weather - give me cold and rainy any day of the week...
    Cold and rainy? Actually, I do like rain--so long as I don't have any plans to do yard work or I have to go out for some reason. And I don't like thundering and lightening--mainly because I can't do anything electronic if I don't want to kill it. And I don't know what it is--but the minute you can't do something, that is when you want to do it. I have plenty of interests that don't require a computer or TV, but the minute it lightenings....
    I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, I'm just glad to have a glass.

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    I can't stand hot weather - give me cold and rainy any day of the week...
    We have had quite hot weather (for Sweden) for about four weeks, but right now it is bucketing down... and I hate it already: Small wonder when we are frozen half the year.

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMute View Post
    Cold and rainy? Actually, I do like rain--so long as I don't have any plans to do yard work or I have to go out for some reason. And I don't like thundering and lightening--mainly because I can't do anything electronic if I don't want to kill it. And I don't know what it is--but the minute you can't do something, that is when you want to do it. I have plenty of interests that don't require a computer or TV, but the minute it lightenings....
    Is it really dangerous to be on the computer during a lightning storm?

I actually love the power and majesty of a thunder storm. It scares my mother that I want to be out in the rain and wind and lightning.

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. The Third View Post
    Is it really dangerous to be on the computer during a lightning storm?
    It certainly is to the computer: I know a few people who have had their computers fried during thunderstorms. I have not heard of anyone coming to harm due to a lightning strike while on the computer, but I'm quite sure it could happen. Thus far I know only one person who has been hit by lightning, but he was at 10000 feet in a glider inside a Cumulonimbus cloud at the time, which makes it rather less surprising.

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I actually love the power and majesty of a thunder storm. It scares my mother that I want to be out in the rain and wind and lightning.
    I'm the same! I love striding the moors and high fens in the middle of nature's fury!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Claes. Would it be bad for the computer to be plugged in, but not turned on? I'm a complete technical ignoramus.

I think it is dangerous if the computer is on...though I suppose if the socket got damage, it could at least damage the plug. The main problem with us is that we have brown outs during storms, and that isn't too healthy for a computer.

It may depend on where you live on how dangerous the weather is. Lightening does touch down frequently here. In fact, there is spot in the road in between my house and a neighbor's where the lightening frequently hits. We do have several cases a year of people getting struck by lightening.

For myself, I was scared from the thought of "singing in the rain" by all the tales of tales I heard growing up about how lightening just loves to smote fair-haired, blue-eyed Caucasian children...particularly girls.
    I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, I'm just glad to have a glass.

Blog Entries
    I'd never heard the term "brown out" for a power failure.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentMute View Post

For myself, I was scared from the thought of "singing in the rain" by all the tales of tales I heard growing up about how lightening just loves to smote fair-haired, blue-eyed Caucasian children...particularly girls.
    Well... okay. How strange is that? But my mother generally keeps me indoors during storms, or I would be striding the fields (no moors here) like Lokessnna.

Blog Entries
    I love the rain and cold weather, I always go outside to play with my son or just to sit in the pouring rain. there hasn't been a real storm with thunder and lightnings for years now I think.. (but I think our new years eve gets really close to it though)
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Claes. Would it be bad for the computer to be plugged in, but not turned on? I'm a complete technical ignoramus.
    Just make sure you have it plugged into a power strip with a surge protector built in rather than straight into the wall. The only time I had a bad surge, it melted the strip, but all my electronics were fine.

Brown outs aren't power failures exactly. It is a power hiccup. It doesn't go off totally, but it dims or fluctuates. That can actually be worse for electronics sometimes than it going off totally.

Mid-September and it's still 96F.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    It's about 10-12C today - not too bad
    ~ I cannot stand people who are not serious about food. It is so shallow of them. (Oscar Wilde)~

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Cold and cloudy
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Blog Entries
    It finally stopped snowing, we only got like 6 cm thankfully!

I can't wait for the winter to be over so I can start complaining about the heat and waiting for winter to arrive again.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood