Thread: Artefacts

Artefacts

Hindley's knife-gun described by Isabella must have been something like this

I noticed in another chapter that Cathy Linton had a watch. That must have been very expensive in 1800.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kev67; 11-17-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Interesting.

Oooh, that looks like the same idea as a bajonette at the end, there. Muskets (or guns at any rate) with bajonettes are still used in the military for parading purposes. They were still fought with in WWI. And those bajonettes are like 20-30 even 50 cm long. I think they were made to stab the enemy when you had no time for munition or you had none left or something. Imagine...

The watch Cathy had must have looked a little like the watches nurses in the UK still wear on their uniform. That's straight from the 19th century still, when women wore their watches not in a pocket with a chain like men, but on the front of their frock or something. I suppose it's a good compromise for a nurse, as it is probably more hygienic than one on your wrist.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'me ne se vide ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scne VII)

Hareton's fowling gun he used to shoot birds with presumably looked a bit like this:

It has a long barrel. I suppose it needed a long barrel to improve accuracy, although it would be more difficult to keep it steady.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell