Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: What is yoga?

Banned

What is yoga?

Thoughts about Yoga

The eternal Adi Nath Shiva (who was the first Guru of YOGA) transmitted the paths to cosmic realization eons ago, codifying many methods to raise human consciousness to the divine. The transcendental methods known as Sadhanas were inscribed in the Tantric & Yogic Shastras, and passed on along a living lineage through the Guru and Disciple relationship. The transmission of ancient knowledge still exists today, and will be preserved for future generations as a divine gift from the ancient masters of reality.

Methods of achieving YOGA, "union of individual consciousness with cosmic consciousness" and thereby becoming a YOGI are known as SADHANAS" spiritual practices". A Student/ Chela/ Disciple practicing Sadhana and receiving tuition under the watchful eye of A GURU is known as a SADHAKA. Through discipline and training in Yoga Sadhana, Sadhaks can become ADEPTS and true YOGIS achieving cosmic union and expanded consciousness.

Yoga was born in the Himalayas eons ago and has survived throughout the ages because the powerful presence of the perfected Himalayan masters of Yoga such as Shiva, Babaji, Goraknath and many other known and unknown Yogic masters who still inspire present generations of Yoga aspirants in many ways.

Thank You.
    Mounamurti Saraswati

Interesting question and tahnk you for asking. My mother was is a yoga fan.
    This what I think yoga a meditated type of body language, a form of intricate pilate only upside down.
    Last edited by cacian; 11-16-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Banned
    Cacian ~ Thank You. Yes there are many forms of Yoga, and the emphasis in the west is on the body however overall development is the best approach..

Quote Originally Posted by mounamrit View Post
    Cacian ~ Thank You. Yes there are many forms of Yoga, and the emphasis in the west is on the body however overall development is the best approach..
    Are you a yoga practitioner?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Banned
    Yes I have a bit of experience..

Yes I have a bit of experience..
    The hardest position I have seen done in yoga is one standing upside down with head on the floor and body up straight.
    Can you do that?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Banned
    Yes,Thats the position of the headstand known as Sirshasana...

Yes,Thats the position of the headstand known as Sirshasana...
    Oh my.
    Can you explain how long it took you to do that and where does the pressure and blood go to as you do that?
    Not that I want to do it or anything haha!!
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Banned
    Some people can do this posture at their first class or attempt, others take years.. When you turn youself upside down the bloodflow to the brain is definately increased. Yoga postures (Asana's) are the usual starting point for most yoga students, from there the work starts and a dedicated student of yoga works their way through all Yoga practices. The body being the usual starting point before moving into the more subtle aspects of Yoga. Its like going to school in kindergarten then working your way through to high school then Uni then hopefully you know enough to enjoy life more fully

The word yoga is derived from the root sanskrit word yuj. Yuj means yoke as you yoke a plow to
    a bull, i.e. joining. But joining of what? Joining of an ordinary soul with the divine is yoga. In short
    it means Union with the God. This is the basic fundamental aim of the yoga. It is another thing
    that people usually use it more for health reason than for spirituality.
    The benefits of yoga and pranayama are too vast to be Concised into this forum. In one
    sentence you can say the benefits of yoga extend from head to toe and even beyond. Hope this
    basic information meets your need. Good luck and God bless. Cheers! :o)

Blog Entries
    Some people can do this posture at their first class or attempt, others take years.. When you turn youself upside down the bloodflow to the brain is definately increased. Yoga postures (Asana's) are the usual starting point for most yoga students, from there the work starts and a dedicated student of yoga works their way through all Yoga practices. The body being the usual starting point before moving into the more subtle aspects of Yoga. Its like going to school in kindergarten then working your way through to high school then Uni then hopefully you know enough to enjoy life more fully
    I find that position can sometimes help relieve my headaches. I also like to read books while doing a shoulder-stand.
    “To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.”

- Kurt Vonnegut