Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Do For A Living?

A 40 Bag To Freedom E.A Rumfield's Avatar

What Do You Do For A Living?

Out of high school I got a job in a telemarketing company. Probably the best job I've had. Worked there for about a year met some great people, crushed on a girl, feel in love, learned what love wasn't. A rather corrupt company, the boss was a degenerate gambler and ex con. The company started to go under, they began letting people go. Before I was let go I was given a check and told not to cash it, next day they paid me cash. A month later I was let go given my last check, I went to the bank and cashed both checks, effectively giving myself severance(anyone got a story that can beat that?) After that I did my best not to work for as long as possible. I got a job working security, the work proved inconsistent and the pay lacking. Right now I find myself selling high quality kitchen knifes, a little bit of joke I thought at first but it actually pays if you work hard. I find myself making a trend of working in sales. Not something I would have thought I'd be doing and if I don't make it as a writer I might just find myself selling insurance, which scares me greatly. So what do you people do? Are you a man or woman, a factotum, a jack of all trades working various jobs you stumble across all while trying to make your dreams come true? Or did you go to school and get a job and sell out right away just to have a comfortable place to begin to die in? Did you ever beat your boss for a cool G and get away with it?
    Her hair was like a flowing cascade and her breasts were real awesome also.
    My ***** Better Have My Money by Fly Guy
    My ***** better have my money.
    Through rain, sleet, or snow,
    my ho better have my money.
    Not half, not some, but all my cash.
    Because if she don't, I'll put my foot dead in her ***.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You had me curious to actually answer this thread seriously until that second-to-last sentence. I'll answer anyways. I'm 25 and a graduate assitant at a nearby university, a teaching assistant to be specific. I teach English 101 and tutor students in the university's writing center. I make very little money, but it's what I love to do.

I'm surprised at all your working experience, Rumfield. I assumed you were still in high school, or just out.

Blog Entries
    I'm 15 and I live off my parents money. It's a hard life, but I manage to make do...

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm 24, and a PhD student - my university does pay me the teaching work I do, though it's not enough to live on. I do, though, have a government grant, which means I can continue to exist without getting a part-time job. I also do a fair bit of work at a local museum, which whilst it doesn't officially pay me does allow for very liberal expenses.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

I am currently a bachelor student in Economics, the Dutch government thankfully subsidizes the tuition fees and gives every Dutch student a monthly grant. Therefore working is not a necessity to live day-to-day life but I do have a job at a company's HR department, just one day per week but it's a good job and it's great experience-wise.
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past - The Great Gatsby

Give every man thine ear, but few thy voice - Polonius (Hamlet)

Currently, I make Sulfuric Acid. It is the most produced chemical in the world and goes into just about everything. So if you're reading a book, driving a car, taking a train, working on a computer, fertilizing your lawn, using batteries, or even drinking water today you are an unknowing consumer of Sulfuric Acid.

If selling out means to go to school to learn something you love then get paid to work in a field you adore I guess I sold out. My job isn’t always a delight but overall I enjoy being in a Chemical manufacturing setting.

One of my first jobs the company was downsizing, they were closing one of the buildings. Everything in the building was fair game so I furnished my first apartment. I got a couch, a cafeteria table and four chairs, a book case, a small side table, and a couple of picture frames. The second company I worked at I left there with a nice gas grill.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    I sold out careerwise.

But, speaking of household goods and furnishing - I've got a nice set of glasses, hand sanitizers any old time, and old generation electronic communication devices (did we have 17 or 18? hhmm? - eh F#$k it, just tick the box) and and a whole lot of cool stuff......that I can (but not necessarily may) take...

Blog Entries
    Well I got a BS after high school, during the pursuit of which I worked in veterinary clinics in various roles, from reception to lab technician and assisting in surgery. After I got my degree I worked in a lab briefly, but hated it. I then worked doing diagnostic lab work for a company with multiple veterinary hospitals in Montreal. I was a bit bored so I got a BA in English lit along the way. I quit my job and am now a graduate student at McGill in cultural studies, theatre, and literature. I live off of my fellowship and a grant.

Also, at various times over the course of my education I've worked part-time as a janitor, rental agent, in a pub kitchen and one night as a bouncer.
    Last edited by OrphanPip; 11-20-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: egregious typo
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Banned
    I am 20 and soon to finish my undergrad. I actually need to decide what to do with my life right about now.

Banned
    Karmas for surviving..

Blog Entries
    I actually know a couple of guys that married women that provide and are stay at home dads. Why not make it your aspiration to be a house husband. It's very vogue in NYC.

I've done three things overall after I dropped out of uni because my father didn't agree with my choice of partner. Thank you, dad. I started out as an administrator. I worked for DHL in their callcenter for a while until I let the boss know he was frankly incompetent and that it was basically one law for us (no mobiles) and another for them. . That didn't go down well... Then I moved up to database assistant where I was replaced by someone who slept on his desk... grrr
    Then I decided to call it a day and became a self-employed teacher. Bad idea. Bad teacher...
    Then I decided to become a housewife.The best job I've ever had! Until it became financially unfeasible.
    Now my hubby and I work together as freelance translators, which is going really well. No good for the house, though.
    So, now we've found our niche and we really enjoy this. Time to accumulate more cash and get a housekeeper...
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

A 40 Bag To Freedom E.A Rumfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buh4Bee View Post
    I actually know a couple of guys that married women that provide and are stay at home dads. Why not make it your aspiration to be a house husband. It's very vogue in NYC.
    Not a fan of voluntary psychological castration. Besides, I don't think I could learn to make water on the newspaper and not hump her friends legs when they stop by for a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    You had me curious to actually answer this thread seriously until that second-to-last sentence. I'll answer anyways. I'm 25 and a graduate assitant at a nearby university, a teaching assistant to be specific. I teach English 101 and tutor students in the university's writing center. I make very little money, but it's what I love to do.

I'm surprised at all your working experience, Rumfield. I assumed you were still in high school, or just out.
    I'm twenty. Isn't there a lot you want to do in life? I feel people settle too easily. A lot of people wake up twenty years from a certain date and wonder where did it all go. The world can provide us with whatever we want why choose so quickly?
    Her hair was like a flowing cascade and her breasts were real awesome also.
    My ***** Better Have My Money by Fly Guy
    My ***** better have my money.
    Through rain, sleet, or snow,
    my ho better have my money.
    Not half, not some, but all my cash.
    Because if she don't, I'll put my foot dead in her ***.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Graduated form high school with two directions in mind; engineering or architecture degree.
    My father earned a major degree in engineering physics and minored in electrical engineering which certainly influenced the interest engineering, although my preference was aeronautical engineering.
    So, there I was HS degree in hand and off to college starting out in engineering. It didn't take long to realize I was in over my head, it must have been the fried brain cells caused by breathing in glue building airplane models when I was younger - how ironic.

However, it was the loss of brain cells that led me to architecture; a field that allows me to express my creative side while still providing opportunities to excercise the "engineering" side.

That's a long way of saying I work in architecture. For the past few years, I've worked in the role of Construction Administrator. In simple terms, I take over projects when they enter the construction phase and work with the contractors administering the construction documents (drawings and specs), keeping an eye on quality, problem solving, reviewing submittals, issuing field reports, etc.

Me on the job. Taken two years ago at a project in Illinois:

"Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Right now, I live on student loans. I wouldn't recommend it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast