Thread: 1984- High School or College?

1984- High School or College?

In my mind, while it is applicable to English when taught in high school, 1984 is a book that is probably better suited for college students, as it can be a more difficult read and has themes that require a bit more thought than some other high school literature.
    Of course, students would gain the most if the book was first taught in high school, and then later revisited in college. However, that would require coordination on behalf of both the college and the high school, and as such, isn't, in reality, a very practical concept.

I understand your concern that Orwell's idea may not be so acceptable in high school because it puzzles some students who cannot understand his idea. However, totalitarianism is about to govern a country with dehumanized rules, most of the teenagers are establishing their value towards the world around 17~18 years old when they are reading the book. It is better to let them know how horrible it is to operate a country with a totalitarian regime; reading "1984" can prevent any students who are, politically active to become a dictator, or a political oligarch in the future. So, it is better to let students in high school to study it right now, and if they are really interested in Orwell's works, they should probably go back and read it during their college times.

Blog Entries
    I don't think the book is very complex at all, it is rarely ever taught at universities for a reason.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

As a high school student I believe this book should be read in high school and again in college. It should be read in high school because it goes along with our global history class, with the two combined we get a better understanding of the book. I agree with BadWolf0013 there are some things in this book that are pretty complex for us as high schoolers to understand, but then again some things not so much.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's a perfect book for high school. It's got an interesting story an enough themes to foster some good discussion.

I think the reason it isn't taught that much in college is because it's taught so much in high school, or at least that's part of it.