Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: The Place of no Darkness

  1. #1

    The Place of no Darkness

    I understand that in the begining of the book Orwell wants the readers to think that the "Place of no Darkness" is the future. But has anybody stopped to consider the fact that the future always truns into the present so is there really a future?

    Plus there is a side of me that expect the "Place of no Darkness" to be a heaven in a sense. (Even though there is no organized religion.)

    I can't help but ponder the existences of the "Place of no Darkness" is it real and if it is what is it?







  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterGirl0502 View Post
    I understand that in the begining of the book Orwell wants the readers to think that the "Place of no Darkness" is the future. But has anybody stopped to consider the fact that the future always truns into the present so is there really a future?

    Plus there is a side of me that expect the "Place of no Darkness" to be a heaven in a sense. (Even though there is no organized religion.)

    I can't help but ponder the existences of the "Place of no Darkness" is it real and if it is what is it?






    No organized religion in Orwell's book? That's of what there is the most.

  3. #3
    Yes but there is organized religion toward and foe the government but not for a "God"

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,890
    Atheism is a form of organized religion against a God.

  5. #5
    There is never any statement of what religion they are. They are so ignorent they do not know there choices. (Weather to believe in a god or not.)

  6. #6
    Registered User kev67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Reading, England
    Posts
    2,234
    iirc, the place of no darkness is the Ministry of Love where Winston is imprisoned and tortured. They never turn the lights out.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by kev67 View Post
    iirc, the place of no darkness is the Ministry of Love where Winston is imprisoned and tortured. They never turn the lights out.
    Thank you. I have finally reached that part of the book and it makes a lot more sense now. But how would O'Brian know what it like there? Has he been there before?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterGirl0502 View Post
    Thank you. I have finally reached that part of the book and it makes a lot more sense now. But how would O'Brian know what it like there? Has he been there before?
    Keep reading and you'll find out! No spoilers here!

    But also a few other things:

    1. The future is very existent!!
    2. Later on in the book, Winston will reveal that he does not believe in a God, and therefore is Atheist.
    3. Being Atheist does not automatically classify you as being
      Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
      against a god
    4. "The place of no darkness" may have religious translations but I think it's very unlikely that Orwell would reference it to heaven because Orwell shamelessly was not a religious man!


    That's all for now!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Everybody wants to change the world, everybody wants to change the world, but no one, no one wants to die!"

Similar Threads

  1. Place where there is no darkness
    By Basketball09 in forum 1984
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 07:52 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 05:17 PM
  3. The Place Where There Is No Darkness
    By Guernica in forum 1984
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 04:18 PM
  4. We shall meet in a place where there is no darkness
    By seattlegrace90 in forum 1984
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2006, 01:27 PM
  5. "the place where there is no darkness"
    By angel_eyez20081 in forum 1984
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2006, 11:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •