Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: wedding stories

Red face wedding stories

Weddings can be a great place for stories that are out of the unusual, out of the ordinary or simply funny.
    One thing I find intriguing about weddings, in the traditonal ones at least, are the throwing of the bouquet of flowers.
    I wonder how truthtful is the myth that one would get married upon receiving the bouquet.

Are you planning of get married at some point and will it be traditional or totally unusual?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

If I were to ever get married (which I do not really see likely anyway) it would be something very untraditional, since, at least wedding ceremonies in my country tend to be a great deal extravagant! There's a lot of social pressure and one really needs to rebel against it otherwise it would continue being this way that people can't get married unless they are financially prepared for all the extravagant parties/dowry/! I would rather have a very simple celebration with only a few family members and close friends. And no fancy wedding gown, even.

In our tradition they also have the bride crying at the time when the ceremony is over. The idea is she's leaving her parents' house and going to somebody else's. I find it particularly silly. But then again now a days many brides do not cry out of the fear of ruining the expensive makeup!
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Hmm, and what if you are so happy and can't cry when you're happy? I mean, do poeple really cry on command?

Where do you live? Somewhere like Inda, I am guessing.

I am married. Catholic ceremony. I would have preferred a masked ball , but we had normal party instead. I'm happy I didn't need to account for all my family's wishes, because we paid for eevrything ourselves. You can have that kind of stupid stuff, parents insisting on inviting people because they are paying for your wedding.

No bouquet-throwing though, we don't do that in Belgium. And we eat the wedding cake at the wedding, which our English guests were slightly puzzled about.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Quote Originally Posted by Pensive View Post
    If I were to ever get married (which I do not really see likely anyway)
    Hi Pensive I hope you do not mind me asking this.
    Do you doubt marriage?
    it would be something very untraditional, since, at least wedding ceremonies in my country tend to be a great deal extravagant! There's a lot of social pressure and one really needs to rebel against it otherwise it would continue being this way that people can't get married unless they are financially prepared for all the extravagant parties/dowry/! I would rather have a very simple celebration with only a few family members and close friends. And no fancy wedding gown, even.
    I am liking the word a 'fancy wedding gown' I do not know why it reminded of cinderalla and the pumpkin and the fairy god mother.
    What is traditional in where you are?
    You mention extravagant partying to be honest I never turn a party down haha.

In our tradition they also have the bride crying at the time when the ceremony is over. The idea is she's leaving her parents' house and going to somebody else's. I find it particularly silly. But then again now a days many brides do not cry out of the fear of ruining the expensive makeup!
    Interesting. Do you mean the bride has to cry even though she does not want to?
    A wedding day is happy I guess they talk about tears of happiness.
    Haha I am liking the makeup bit a good cause for not crying.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    Hmm, and what if you are so happy and can't cry when you're happy? I mean, do poeple really cry on command?
    Actors do. It made think how difficult it must be to play crying or strange in fact to cry over an act that is not real.
    Where do you live? Somewhere like Inda, I am guessing.

I am married. Catholic ceremony. I would have preferred a masked ball , but we had normal party instead.
    A masked ball. Sounds intriguing I have never been to one. Have you?
    I'm happy I didn't need to account for all my family's wishes, because we paid for eevrything ourselves. You can have that kind of stupid stuff, parents insisting on inviting people because they are paying for your wedding.
    True. I found the wedding list present interesting. It is the only you get to tell invitees what you present you want.

No bouquet-throwing though, we don't do that in Belgium. And we eat the wedding cake at the wedding, which our English guests were slightly puzzled about.
    Haaaaa no bouquet haha. I married to an English and we did eat the cake as soon as it was cut. Not eating the cake must just a tradition in some part of England.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly