I was just wondering whether Wuthering Heights was some sort of proto-vampire book when in the last chapter Nelly herself wonders whether Heathcliff is a ghoul or a vampire. I was surprised as I did not think vampires had been discovered till later. I have not watched any of the Twilight films (and I don't intend to neither) but it struck me there were some similarities between Wuthering Heights, Twilight, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and other vampire films and television series. Heathcliff can stand bright sunlight; bibles, wooden crosses, garlic and holy water might annoy him but would not be sufficient to ward him off; and although driving a wooden stake through his heart would kill him, so would other methods of execution. However, there are some similarities:
- Heathcliff is evil (like most vampires).
- Heathcliff and Catherine continue to walk the Earth after death and do not find rest.
- Heathcliff has no hope of salvation, neither does he want it.
- Heathcliff's idea of heaven is close to torment.
- Heathcliff's love for Catherine is eternal (rather like some vampire love stories).
- Heathcliff's love for Catherine is rather chaste.
- Heathcliff is tall, strong, rather dark with long, black hair.
- Heathcliff forms one point of a love triangle with Catherine as the apex (a bit like Twilight I believe).