Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When I Realized I Was Famous

Blog Entries

When I Realized I Was Famous

It happened at Austin Peay University in Tennessee. I had been invited by a friend of mine who was an English professor at the university to conduct a seminar on creative writing and then to give a reading of certain of my writings in the evening.

Around noon I went into the student lounge and got me a cup of coffee and sat at a small table next to a booth which was occupied by four students.

I couldn't help but overhear when my name was mentioned by one of the students. It seems they were having a discussion about me!

I felt weird sitting there, unrecognized by the students as they discussed my writing.

One young man with shoulder-length hair and a goatee seemed to be attacking my writing. I heard him say, “Have you read his story The Happy Demise of Hidy the Clown?”

Two of the students answered no, but a third—a tall thin girl with waist-length hair—answered “Yes. I think it's one of his best stories.”

The young man with the goatee replied in a disdainful manner: “How can you think it's a good story? He gives away what's going to happen halfway through the story.”

“That's just the point,” the girl replied. “He knew what he was doing when he more or less fired the cannon halfway through the story. What he did was work out the characters' reactions to the firing of the cannon.”

“I don't see that at all,” the student answered. “I think it was a major gaffe in the story. In general, I think he is overrated as a short story writer—and as a poet. He tends to give away everything halfway through the stories he writes. And his poetry is too didactic. The discerning reader is left with nothing, because he or she knows what the result will be—and as far as poetry goes, preaching is a cardinal sin”

“I disagree about his poetry,” the girl said. “It is true that he is somewhat didactic, but the didacticism in his poetry lends itself to the message he's trying to convey.”

I listened for a little while longer as the students dissected my fiction and poetry. I felt a strange sense of gloating as well as a tinge of what I can only describe as shame. Somehow it seemed shameful to me to listen to the students discussing my writing without their knowledge that I was right there next to them, listening to them without their knowing who I was. Mixed with this was a feeling of pride. If someone discusses your writing, it at least means you are somewhat famous—at least to a few.

I left the student center and walked to the Humanities building where I was due to conduct a seminar on creative writing.

I must admit I felt a sense of ironic humor when I noticed the four students whom I had sat next to in the student lounge walk into the room and their looks of recognition when they saw me. All four of them probably had noticed me sitting next to them in the student lounge. Their looks ranged from embarrassment to sardonic humor to a frown on the face of the young man with the goatee.

I began the creative writing seminar with a cheery “I'm sure I've seen some of you before. And at least one of you think I'm overrated as a writer.”

The audience chuckled. The young man with the goatee sank down in his seat.

So that's how and when I realized I was famous—at least to four people.
    Last edited by Jassy Melson; 11-08-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Dostoevsky gives me more than any scientist.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what would be worse/sadder: if this is a true story, or if it isn't.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Blog Entries
    I don't see sadness entering at all in this. I see irony.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Please, explain the irony.

And, Charles, there's no way this is true.

Sad, sad, sad.

J

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    that's what I thought, but I couldn't prove it, and didn't care enough to give it much thought.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

To me this story is half real and half fantasy. That the OP wrote "The Happy Demise of Hidy the Clown" is true. The fantasy part spells M-E-G-A-L-O-M-A-N-I-A.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

--Jonathan Davis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    Please, explain the irony.

Part of the irony consists in the fact that I am sitting incognito next to a group of people who are discussing my writing.
    You say there's no way this is true. How do you know it isn't true?

Quote Originally Posted by miyako73 View Post
    To me this story is half real and half fantasy. That the OP wrote "The Happy Demise of Hidy the Clown" is true. The fantasy part spells M-E-G-A-L-O-M-A-N-I-A.
    What do you mean?

I happen to think it's all true. No one else is pompous enough to write such a self-agrandizing piece of trivia.

H

Blog Entries
    What I actually did with this piece was make fun of myself. I simply don't understand the reactions this piece has elicted.

Even in community colleges, they invite known published writers in creative writing workshops. Why would strangers or college students discuss your "The Happy Demise of Hidy the Clown," a post in literature network forum? Just asking.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

--Jonathan Davis

Blog Entries
    They were discussing my story because it has been published in numerous publications, and the professor who invited me to conduct a seminar had included the story in his classes

That's what you said, Jassy. Can you direct me to the literary journal that published your story? I don't think your story has the quality that deserves to be talked about in a creative writing class or workshop. C'mon? Are you making me question too the quality of the school that invited you?

--Jonathan Davis

Blog Entries
    There are two ways to reply to a post. One can be civil, courteous and polite, or one can be a jerk. I'm not going to take the time to name off the publications which have published my story for your benefit as if I have to prove it has been published in numerous publications to you. You can believe it or not. I don't care.

Blog Entries
    What a pathetic answer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast