Thread: Nonpolitical Themes in the Novel 1984

Nonpolitical Themes in the Novel 1984

Hello! As a first-time reader of the novel 1984, I've been eager to interpret as many of Orwell's messages as I can, and honestly, it's been a bit of an overwhelming experience. Because I am not at an age where politics really play a role in my life (and because I blatantly have no real experience in the "outside" world) it's been a bit of a challenge for me to catch all of what he's saying. I know that 1984 can be strictly categorized as a politically centered novel, but I can't help but wonder if Orwell has some other issues to touch upon. I know that most any topic can easily be tied back to politics, but I still would like to believe that he has something more to say.

Because of this, I have spent nearly all of my time with this book stubbornly searching for a message from Orwell about completely nonpolitical matters. I realize that his main purpose for writing the book was to warn us about the power of totalitarian governments and their intention to cease the basic rights of citizens, but I believe that I have found a few glimpses of otherwise irrelevant affairs. Now, I'm only half way through the book, so it may be possible that I have not reached the point where he displays his ideas in their most complete form, but I still have taken a few things away from his words.

For example, based on what Orwell has said so far, I can soundly assume that one of the main messages that he is trying to send is about the value of one's personal past. Yes, Winston experiences first-hand what the government can do with history in order to add to their strength. But when Winston finds it difficult to recall his own mother, I was brought back to instances in my life where it was hard for me to recall whether or not an event really happened. I'm obsessed with keeping track of the past, and one of my greatest fears is forgetting it. Whenever I am handed a paper, I find myself more concerned with making sure I mark the date than I am with writing my own name. When I read Orwell's warning, I really appreciated the fact that he finds it important to keep track of your memories.

I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas about nonpolitical ideas Orwell might be sharing, and I would love to hear what you think.

I think every issue is political Politics is intrinsic to the human experience and imagination. It is imposible to avoid. Orwell is just as political as anyone. He adresses paranoia that will never be of consequence in the UK or USA.

I suppose Orwell is pointing out the importance of individuals' past, in addition to global history. I think he also is showing us the importance of our relationships with each other. The lack of emotion required in most Party members, and Winston and Julia's rebellious love, prove the need for connections with each other in a normal society.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~ Adam Savage