Thread: Insulted

Insulted

As a women I can't help but find this book some what insulting. I find this book exstreamly sexist in the sence that the author is making all women seem like robots.

I can understand that the time peirod this book was written in was just that, sexist. How ever if things could change in the government to that exstent. You would think the author would be a little optimistic toward woman and give them some rights.

If anybody could maybe explian to me way Mr, Orwell made wome so "stupid" it would be much appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I don't know; I find that there is very little gender distinction in the novel. Orwell seems to have blurred the sexes together to further create the feel of his world. If you are comparing Julia to Winston, Orwell tends to place more focus on the difference of their age rather than their sex. So yes, it's a male-dominated world - as was Orwell's world - but I don't think he had a polemic attitude towards women (or at least, no more than towards men, for he was quite the misanthrope)
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Quote Originally Posted by WinterGirl0502 View Post
    As a women I can't help but find this book some what insulting. I find this book exstreamly sexist in the sence that the author is making all women seem like robots.

I can understand that the time peirod this book was written in was just that, sexist. How ever if things could change in the government to that exstent. You would think the author would be a little optimistic toward woman and give them some rights.

If anybody could maybe explian to me way Mr, Orwell made wome so "stupid" it would be much appreciated.
    I agree. And that has nothing to do with the sexist times. Women had realized sexism a long time before that. Feminism was already old hat. Women are far from the stupid beings Orwel posed as reality. Quite different than the position of Aldous Huxley as evidenced by his interviews with Wallace.

Im not disagreeing with you, but Orwell sort of switches the sterotypical role for example,Winston was terrified by a rat that enters the room that he and Julia rented. Julia didn't freak out at all and even fixed the rat hole. Also Julia is the one who picks the places to "frollic" as my teacher would say. Sterotypically speaking aren't guys the ones who know all the places to go on/ set up dates. Also i'd ;ike to point out that both genders are like robots; what i like to call emotionally illiterate except for the proles, ex. Winston is walking through the street when a rocket knocks down a building, he then just shoves aside a severed human hand, theres a sense of a lack of compassion. Winston explains to Julia that he and his wife were on a community hike when they were lost and winston thought of pushing her off the cliff, but didn't, and Julia replies well why didn't you?