Thread: What self-published book should I read? I need suggestions!

Blog Entries

What self-published book should I read? I need suggestions!

I'm between books right now and want to shake things up a bit by diving into something I wouldn't normally consider. I decided to start this thread as I wanted to "crowd source" and see what comes up.I'm all ears for suggestions.

Conditions:

-It has to be available on amazon for my kindle
    -It has to be $5.00 or less.....tough economy out there people

I'll return the favor of sorts. Here is one book that I really enjoyed from a self-published guy I met on another forum.

Thanks one and all. I won't promise to download everything in one night, will update as I do and as time permits. So if you are a writer or a fan of a few writers who self-publish, feel free to chime in.

Quite funny that you should have more than 140 views yet not a single answer. I would've thought that anybody having self-published something on amazon would jump at this chance to self-promote some work of his/hers.
    Well, I'll try to persuade myself that I post an answer out of pure pity and not because it's a book of mine It's called "Small Portions" and contains a collection of prose vignettes, i.e. very short stories.
    So if you want to have a try, don't be shy; book launch is on Nov. 15th but it's already available here.
    Apart from this shameless bout of self-promotion, I wish you more luck (and more answers) for your quest!
    "Im Arm der Liebe schliefen wir selig ein…" ("Liebesode" - Otto Erich Hartleben)
    New poetry collection available (Kindle and paperback)

If you enjoy short stories you could try 'Summertime Blues - The Collection' (£1.93 on Kindle)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Summertime-B...2483842&sr=1-8

H

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting Dieter. I just purchased your book tonight, I'm looking forward to a good thanksgiving of reading and going through my "to read" pile. I hope to read so thoroughly that it would embarrass a first year law student.

hillmaker-Dude, does currency exchange occur automatically if I as a norte americano click 'buy'?

Anyone else? Don't be shy, I'm hardly a critic like Simon Cowell.

Currency exchange does occur automatically - fear not.

And if you decide to click I hope you enjoy.

H3K

Blog Entries
    hill-just tried it and got a notice that I have to use the American site. Is it available on the U.S. amazon site? Might have to get creative on that one, ahhh!

dieter-I'm exactly half way through and I have to say that I absolutely love some of the vignettes. I think we've all had that time in our lives in which we were carefree and eager to go out and about. I also loved the story about coffee and how at one place, they leave the grounds in the drink.

On to continue some more reading, have a great end of the week one and all.

It's priced ar $3.07 last time I checked on http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...al-text%2C243.

but when I click on the cover it says 'Pricing Information not Available' - possibly because I'm Uk-based.

H

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hillwalker View Post
    It's priced ar $3.07 last time I checked on http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...al-text%2C243.

but when I click on the cover it says 'Pricing Information not Available' - possibly because I'm Uk-based.

H
    H-Bought it yesterday with success, thanks for your help.

I've just started the first story which is the namesake for your work. I have yet to get to the "twist," but I plan on doing some mean reading this morning, started too late last night to get through it.

Dieter-I loved small portions, I think you should get a cover on goodreads so that people can post about it and that it gives folks a picture of your work and perhaps, who knows?, spread it around a bit more. I had to chuckle about the bit about the Nebraska tourist girls........

Thanks - hope it was worth every cent.

H

I'm still waiting for Umberto Eco to go on sale. Perhaps a book on Dante I wrote would merit your consideration.
    http://www.amazon.com/Afterlife-Intr...Dante+Lafferty
    David Lafferty
    Author of "Afterlife - An Introduction to Dante's Inferno"
    Creator of Website Dante Explorer - www.davelafferty.com

Blog Entries
    Dante-I have your link bookmarked, I will purchase it soon enough and will do a review, just give me some time. Thanks for the recommendation!

H's Summertime Blues is definitely worth a read. I particularly enjoyed sweetpea, which is a story that features an insane asylum inmate's depiction of his connection to a dummy and how he takes down a worker in the end with a knife. Talk about creepy! Great job on that one H, wow. I also enjoyed The Brocken Spectre and Harry's Last Case. The former's ending just tricks you out something fierce, can't say enough about it.

Dieter's Small Portions is like H's in that it is a collection of short stories. What luck to read two self-published books that share a similar structure! As mentioned earlier, I enjoyed Coffee in Prague and it had me in stitches. Mormons in the metro was also an amusing read, especially as I have had friends of that particular sect. The account of them had me laughing, if they only knew the author's thoughts! Bits of who he was and the funeral are perhaps the most serious writings in the collection. If you have lost someone in your life, you will identify very strongly with them. The portions of a person's life are varied and Dieter documents very well what we have all gone through at one time or another. From the wild and carefree early 20s, to dating, to the hardship of losing a parent and dealing with life in between, a reader will see common themes in their own life and how it compares to what Dieter mentions.

Great job gentlemen, and H, I'm almost done with Summertime Blues, just have three more stories to go. I haven't done your works justice, so forgive the pithy observations, though I thank you both for being willing to share your works.

Wow, SFG75, so that buyer was you! I had been wondering ever since I saw someone had finally purchased my book... And thank you for your positive feedback, it means a lot to me. Btw, hillwalker, those short-stories are yours? Gonna have to get'em, then. To both of you, a wonderful weekend! PS: SFG75, you're certainly right about Goodreads, but fact is you have to get an ISBN before adding your book. As I'm always broke (must be a genetic thing, lol), I just can't afford that right now. Had some blogger friends of mine help me with the book launch on several blogs, but promotion is some serious, professional stuff. Anyway, to have found one sympathetic reader is already very rewarding!
    Last edited by DieterM; 11-24-2012 at 06:48 AM.
    "Im Arm der Liebe schliefen wir selig ein…" ("Liebesode" - Otto Erich Hartleben)
    New poetry collection available (Kindle and paperback)

Thanks SFG75 - always reassuring to discover someone actually likes what you've written. Thanks again.

H

PS - Just got my hands on 'Small Portions' and will let you know how it goes, Dieter.
    Last edited by hillwalker; 11-24-2012 at 10:03 AM.

I'm currently reading Lauren Oliver's work! And I loved it all, you should 'em out.