Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: You think YOU like to read?

  1. #1
    The caffeinated newbie SFG75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    139
    Blog Entries
    1

    You think YOU like to read?

    I got a kick out of this article from NPR. I would have to say that this guy has a LOT of time on his hands. I'd love to know what he does for a living, if he has kids, or if he is involved in the community in any way. Some of his musings are also quite interesting.

    On self-published books:

    Self-published books are great. Self-published books are so, so addled. ... They always have ghosts. Like the ghost of a deer goes into a composer's head and becomes a serial killer, and there's no editor to say, 'You really want to tone this down.' ... They're just insanely bad books. ... I read them, but I read them real fast.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by SFG75 View Post
    I got a kick out of this article from NPR. I would have to say that this guy has a LOT of time on his hands. I'd love to know what he does for a living, if he has kids, or if he is involved in the community in any way. Some of his musings are also quite interesting.

    On self-published books:



    I think you are using one example to generalize on the value of self-publishing. Too much to be acceptable. Many good writers have also self-published. That's fact, although I don't need to give examples to get entangled in this subject. It's already not appropiate to tackle it in this manner.

  3. #3
    Bibliophile Drkshadow03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    My heart lives in New York.
    Posts
    1,716
    One of the bloggers I follow reads about 200 - 500 books a year. As of October he is up to 345 books.
    Last edited by Drkshadow03; 11-01-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

    https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkshadow03 View Post
    One of the bloggers I follow reads about 200 - 500 books a year. As of October he is up to 345 books.
    I read that same blog.

    It blows my mind how much he's able to read and still be able to review in a fairly in-depth way.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,046
    Blog Entries
    16
    I read an average of a book a week--on track to read about 60 this year, and including some of the better comics/graphic novels I've read--but I seriously don't get how someone can read so many books that fast and get something out of it. Isn't the point of reading supposed to be slowing down and savoring the book? I kinda feel sorry for these people who're all about reading as much as humanly possible. 500 books a year? That's just stupid, and I doubt he's reading all of them. Tons of skimming, I'm sure.

  6. #6
    Dance Magic Dance OrphanPip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur but from Canada
    Posts
    4,161
    Blog Entries
    25
    If I included books of criticism I might be over 100 a year, but I really don't keep track of what I read. I tried a bit here, but I left out a lot and then I kind of lost interest in tracking what I read.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,046
    Blog Entries
    16
    I like to track what I read mostly so I can go back and take a look if someone asks for a recommendation (which seems to be happening more and more), plus I admit there is a certain amount of bragging involved when I get to post my reading list on FB at the end of the year. I don't have that much to brag about, otherwise.

    Also, why so much criticism, Pip? Just for fun? I can't get into that stuff no matter how hard I try.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    I read an average of a book a week--on track to read about 60 this year, and including some of the better comics/graphic novels I've read--but I seriously don't get how someone can read so many books that fast and get something out of it. Isn't the point of reading supposed to be slowing down and savoring the book? I kinda feel sorry for these people who're all about reading as much as humanly possible. 500 books a year? That's just stupid, and I doubt he's reading all of them. Tons of skimming, I'm sure.
    I happened to see this link appear in the referral stats of my blog and I thought I would see what was being said. Well, it's difficult to have something eloquent to say to those who just know that it is "doubtful" and "stupid" for someone to be capable of reading (with full reading enjoyment and comprehension) 500+ books a year (for the record, I'm actually on book #402 for 2012, which is Anthony Shadid's memoir, House of Stone, which I'll be reviewing next week when I cover the 2012 National Book Award finalists for Non-Fiction). I suppose you "got me." After all, there was an exposť written in 2010 about how those books are really read. After all, it is difficult for some to accept that there just might be others who have the talent for reading rapidly and with understanding, just as it's difficult for others to admit that some are smarter than them, better looking than them, or who were great at playing sports.

    Now back to watching the MTSU-Western Kentucky football game on ESPNU. Reading just isn't 24/7 for me; I do love sports and having a social life as well

  9. #9
    Dance Magic Dance OrphanPip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur but from Canada
    Posts
    4,161
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post

    Also, why so much criticism, Pip? Just for fun? I can't get into that stuff no matter how hard I try.
    I don't know, I read a lot that has no direct application to my work, but which I hope might give me some insight or inspiration, it usually doesn't though. I've been reading criticism intensively the last few weeks because I need to provide a critical background to my own research for a grant proposal. So far, I've got about 30ish books checked out, but I'll only read a few of them cover to cover; I removed every bit of criticism relevant to my topic that is available in the city from three university libraries. I can be a bit OCD about my work.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

  10. #10
    Bibliophile Drkshadow03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    My heart lives in New York.
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    I read an average of a book a week--on track to read about 60 this year, and including some of the better comics/graphic novels I've read--but I seriously don't get how someone can read so many books that fast and get something out of it. Isn't the point of reading supposed to be slowing down and savoring the book? I kinda feel sorry for these people who're all about reading as much as humanly possible. 500 books a year? That's just stupid, and I doubt he's reading all of them. Tons of skimming, I'm sure.
    I've been reading Larry's blog since I used to frequent the Other Fantasy Section of the now defunct WOTmania. I believe him when he says he reads 500 + books and maintains a high level of comprehension. He's always been a fairly sharp critic and reader.

    I wish I could read that many books a year. Heck, I'd be happy if I could read about 100 books a year. This year I've only read 23 books. I'll be lucky to make it to 30 books. My feeling sometimes is that there are so many good works out there and such little time to read it all.
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

    https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!

  11. #11
    In the fog Charles Darnay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    trapped in a prologue.
    Posts
    2,383
    Blog Entries
    7
    A thread with a sudden twist - I like it

    On the notion of reading fast/too many books - I will have to side with Larry on this one. I don't know if I would call it a talent (although, you do have to perfect it, I suppose) - but it is my biological. Something in the brain-eye-wiring-I-should-stop-pretending-to-understand-anatomy allows certain people to absorb a wider scope of content at the same time. I am not such a person: due to physical limitations I am a fairly slow reader (that and I often find myself pauses to drift off into a reflective world) - but whatever. I guess it's why I have never cared about the "how many books can you read in a year" thing.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,093
    A friend of mine has a PhD in physics, looks & social life the envy of everyone, is a really nice person, and boundlessly happy. But he says he has never read a novel. Might have been exaggerating, slightly, but I know he reads hardly any literature (if any). Is reading many novels better than spotting many trains? That said, I like reading novels... but I couldn't care less about how many novels/year, I read. Reading quickly, or "all the time", I find stressful

  13. #13
    The caffeinated newbie SFG75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    139
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am a member of another book forum and I utilized their "blog" feature as a book tracker of sorts. As of late, I prefer the good reads website. I don't stay faithful though as it creates an internal pressure akin to what you felt in school: "You only read three books the last two weeks?" Life is too busy.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,046
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Nolen View Post
    I happened to see this link appear in the referral stats of my blog and I thought I would see what was being said. Well, it's difficult to have something eloquent to say to those who just know that it is "doubtful" and "stupid" for someone to be capable of reading (with full reading enjoyment and comprehension) 500+ books a year (for the record, I'm actually on book #402 for 2012, which is Anthony Shadid's memoir, House of Stone, which I'll be reviewing next week when I cover the 2012 National Book Award finalists for Non-Fiction). I suppose you "got me." After all, there was an exposť written in 2010 about how those books are really read. After all, it is difficult for some to accept that there just might be others who have the talent for reading rapidly and with understanding, just as it's difficult for others to admit that some are smarter than them, better looking than them, or who were great at playing sports.

    Now back to watching the MTSU-Western Kentucky football game on ESPNU. Reading just isn't 24/7 for me; I do love sports and having a social life as well
    Alright, alright, calm down. I guess I'm wrong . . . though your extreme defensiveness seems a bit odd. Can you not see how one might be dubious when hearing about someone who reads more than one book a day and writes reviews on them, and also apparently has a social life and watches television? It just doesn't seem like there's enough time in the day. How fast do you read? Seems like it'd have to be a page in a matter of seconds. And, I'm sorry, but I still doubt how much someone could get out of a book by reading them that quick. Comprehension and appreciation or two different things, after all.

    And I know there're plenty of people smarter than me (though I'm not sure that just because someone reads a ton of books that makes it so--I've met plenty of people who barely read who are way smarter than me, too).

    Still, I greatly apologize for apparently hurting your feelings, Larry.
    Last edited by Mutatis-Mutandis; 11-03-2012 at 11:19 PM.

  15. #15
    TobeFrank Paulclem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Coventry, West Midlands
    Posts
    6,363
    Blog Entries
    36
    I had to laugh. Sorry MM.

    My wife reads very rapidly - a novel in an afternoon/ evening. She shrugs it off when I point out that it is very unusual, but it is. The way she does it is to look down the centre of a page and take in the lines as a whole. This is uber-speed reading as far as I can tell, and she didn't train herself to do this, but has always done it. Perhaps more of us could if we did train ourselves, but I think the method we use to teach reading to children could preclude the possibility of them realising that they can do it.

    What's your reading method Larry?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DON'T READ if you've never read The Count of Monte Cristo
    By Shea in forum The Count of Monte Cristo
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-14-2016, 10:35 AM
  2. Read it or not, Thank you.
    By SubtleSilence97 in forum General Writing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-18-2012, 09:19 PM
  3. I need to learn how to read please read
    By PuddNheadPete in forum General Teaching
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 06:30 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 03:05 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •