Thread: Elizabeth Bowen Tears, Idle Tears

Smile Elizabeth Bowen Tears, Idle Tears

actually with this title Tennyson has written a poet, but now i am looking for something else which is written by Elizabeth Bowen. have you read the short story by Bowen?
    Honestly i read it but for me because in modern literature i am not that proffesional i had problem. i didn`t get anything form the text.
    a boy start crying and at the end that girl with an apple shut him up, so what ? what does it mean ??
    if anyone has read the story please help me. actually i didn`t get exactly the last paragraph.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Congratulations, mohammadali, on reading a sophisticated English text. Don’t be too worried if you think you don’t understand what’s going on. The important thing is you’ve understood the words – I take it you are learning English as a second language.

I’m English born and studied English literature at university and have read most of the famous English books. I still don’t “get” lots of short stories. Often they are not telling a story so much as giving a picture or an insight into the human situation. Often the important things are not said and you have to work it out. I don’t know the story you mention, but it sounds like a study of human loneliness and the possibility of humans being kind to each other.

Good luck with you exploration of English literature.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1