Thread: Preparing For a Scholarship

Preparing For a Scholarship

I'm applying to sit an entrance exam in February, in which I need to sit an exam in two subjects: I'm going for Spanish and English Literature. Spanish I'm fine with, I'll just need to go over grammar and stuff; however, I'm at a loss as to how to study for the literature exam. Here's the low down on how the exam itself works:
    There are two sections: poetry and prose. In the poetry section we're given two poems to compare and contrast on a given theme. This shouldn't be too hard seeing as I'll have the texts in front of me to work from. The problem arises with the prose section. There are five questions to choose from, and they range from discussion on a certain theme, to writing about the effect of literature on society. The broadness of the questions is what's troubling me. I know I'll have to read quite a bit, but I don't know where to start, in all honesty. I don't know if I should maybe look into larger themes in a selection of novels (at the moment I'm going for religion and law/justice), or perhaps if I should just learn a whole bunch of quotes from numerous novels that I could work into a question on numerous themes.
    If you have any advice on what you think I could do, then I'd appreciate it a lot! Also, if you know of any novels/short stories/poems that deal with a lot of themes, then drop them down here - anything would be really helpful right now!
    Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Often with these exams there is a list of suggested readings; books that may be useful to you on such an exam. See if you can find that list.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

I would get a bunch of novels that you can talk about rather than just a bunch of quotes.