Thread: J.T. Farrell. A depressing read.

J.T. Farrell. A depressing read.

I have just been looking at “Fellow Countrymen” by J.T. Farrell which has been on my book shelves for the last 60 years or so and I have never read a more miserable, cynical and depressing series of stories from any other author. It appears that all he saw was corruption, racism, bigotry and bullying.

Quote Originally Posted by BML View Post
    I have just been looking at “Fellow Countrymen” by J.T. Farrell which has been on my book shelves for the last 60 years or so and I have never read a more miserable, cynical and depressing series of stories from any other author. It appears that all he saw was corruption, racism, bigotry and bullying.
    Yep, the hallmarks of a self-righteous loony.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Eiseabhal
    Having read both The Singapore Grip and Troubles within the last year I can only say that I found him witty, warm, entirely sane and with a profound feeling for the transience of life. But I'm sure there is very little bigotry, bullying, corruption or racism in England. At least not enough to notice, for long.

Banned
    Try the Studs Lonigan trilogy, It is his masterpiece, in it his de vulgaris stlye blooms into a beutifull work of art.

Eiseabhal
    Are you sure that is the same writer?

You are absolutely correct. JT not JG. The communist not the man drowned in Ireland. I stand corrected.

Still looking for a forum on James T. Farrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiseabhal View Post
    Having read both The Singapore Grip and Troubles within the last year I can only say that I found him witty, warm, entirely sane and with a profound feeling for the transience of life. But I'm sure there is very little bigotry, bullying, corruption or racism in England. At least not enough to notice, for long.
    I'm still looking for a forum on James T. Farrell.