Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The definition of God

The definition of God

Is god one or anyone with certain aspect of the human design?

I tend to believe that God is a made up word to try and give the idea that god comes across as one, a ruler by himself and the rests are shepperds or worshippers.
    I feel this idea is a replica of what goes on in real life where a ruler/dictator/president/prime minister assumes a role of control over a population a kind of government or a base of power.
    The population is to live and obide by the rules.

I see the concept of 'god' as a majority of people coming together because they share a same meaning.
    Therefore to worship one is irrelevant and leads to nowhere but to aspire to be one is what it is all about.

how do you perceive god?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Concept of 'God' is no different from a language - its just that there is no specific one to speak in - different people from different parts of the world have different languages, or here, different GODS. But there is one exception, THIS language even the people who are unable to speak can also communicate in. As simple as that.

"Gods" can be defined as beings with supernatural powers. To the highest degree of belief, "God" was the "one who created it all".

Scientifically, in my opinion, "God" can only be defined as "Big Bang before its explosion", and after the explosion He/She is the each and every particle existing in the universe and its laws. So God lives in us all. But in science they obviously don't use the term "God", so it doesn't really make too much sense. It's just one way of interpretating the word.
    Last edited by LIB; 10-24-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    ☯ There are Black and White ☯
    ☯ In Black there is White; in White there is Black ☯
    ☯ Mixing, seperating, changing, both attacking and protecting, creating, destroying, lasting ☯

I think I would agree most with LIB's definition of a god. Although the real definition of god is I think non-existent. Religion and god(s) are very personal things, and there are probably as many views on religion and/or god(s) as their are people on this planet. God has a different meaning to everyone, even between those of the same religion there are different approaches to religion and views on god. In my opinion god is something made up by people to explain things they had no control over and could not explain. I think the notion of god is heavily outdated. It is however up to everyone to make up his own mind about this subject, because it is very personal and if people feel comforted by the notion of a god than that is up to them and not up to me to criticize that.
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past - The Great Gatsby

Give every man thine ear, but few thy voice - Polonius (Hamlet)

Blog Entries
    I was reading a survey by Justin L. Barrett, Born Believers: The Science of Children's Religious Belief, that described "Gods" as superhuman intentional agents. I like this way of putting it because it includes demigods, angels, demons, or something beyond all of them. To be a superhuman intentional agent these entities have to be able to make choices.

It would also be nice if they liked us since they are, by definition, more powerful than we are.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I was reading a survey by Justin L. Barrett, Born Believers: The Science of Children's Religious Belief, that described "Gods" as superhuman intentional agents. I like this way of putting it because it includes demigods, angels, demons, or something beyond all of them. To be a superhuman intentional agent these entities have to be able to make choices.

It would also be nice if they liked us since they are, by definition, more powerful than we are.
    According to Epicurus, the gods have nothing to do with humans, that makes them a non-intentional suoerhuman force, at least as regards humans, and thereby any aspect of the material world

The definition of God is misconceived idea, for there is nothing to compare God with, or there is no metaphor to understand God. However we have volumes of books defining God and confining God to mere words and sentences. This is stupid, for God goes beyond our physical realities and mundane dimensions.

What is God? We borrow the meaning of God from few mythological books or from the mouths of a few priests and transcend these parameters there is no God. Yet we are incapable of living without thinking about God.

We do not want to limit the beauty of living to death's cold hand on us. We aspire to live beyond death. In that case only the existence of God can enable us to realize this truth.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Banned
    Hi everybody including Blazeofglory

I am new here, and I just would like to learn a bit and share with anyone whatever comes to my mind..

I believe that an accurate definition of God has never been written to date, as their as as many definitions available as there are people on this earth. Many of the religious texts emunerate definitions that were scribed by disciples of religions founders (Masters)... Not the founders themselves, and they are always open to interpretation and new editions as time goes by.

Philosophers opinions are mostly gained from their own knowledge, which is usually second hand knowledge. Some knowledge is downloaded directly from the cosmos or inner self.

The big questions as blazeofglory correctly points out have yet to be tackled scientifically, and yes deep thinking about the meaning of God can help us reveal our real nature.... Without God their is no meaning of life in my opinion.

Thank you

There is no possible definition of God. They are just useless attempts, with or without science.

Banned
    @Cafolini you are absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post

Indeed I am sure they do they would not make us if they did not.
    I am however less inclined to believe in this:
    ''demigods, angels, demons, or something beyond all of them''
    Only because I think that no one would want a competition in a land where everyone including gods can be equal.
    Last edited by cacian; 11-16-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

delete
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

To try to define would be pointless, so let me write this: I think of "God" as something man strives to relate with--to comprehend. It could be scientific or supernatural. We have trouble with things that are beyond our own capacities... so we say "God."
    "It is perfectly okay to write garbage--as long as you edit brilliantly." -- C. J. Cherryh

To worship God means to try to inculcate His Qualities in us - as much as humanly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by twist View Post
    To worship God means to try to inculcate His Qualities in us - as much as humanly possible.
    Since God must ultimately be the author of anything, you could be capable of anything with that proposition. Morality is best left to the individual.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast