Thread: Pride and Prejudice vs. Bridget Jones's Diary

Post Pride and Prejudice vs. Bridget Jones's Diary

For a paper, we need to analyze and interpretive choice between Pride and Prejudice and Bridget Jones's Diary along with textual evidence from the novel and the film. Can anyone help me out with some examples? Thank you!

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    The most obvious comparison is Mark Darcy being played by Colin Firth in the film, who made his name playing Mr Darcy in the P&P TV adapation.

It's a long time since I read Bridget Jones's Diary, and I remember a lot of sly references to P&P and I'm sure others will come up with ideas later.

(I'm not sure that there's any deep connection, just joky references. Lizzie is sensible, Bridget is fluffy and totally lacking in self-control. They both have utterly irritating mothers, but irritating in quite different ways. Daniel and Wickham are quite different, although both are the man the heroine fancies before winning the love of a strong silent man called Darcy. But I can't remember any equivalent to the Jane/Bingley or Lydia/Wickham elements.)

Good luck.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyj056 View Post
    For a paper, we need to analyze and interpretive choice between Pride and Prejudice and Bridget Jones's Diary along with textual evidence from the novel and the film. Can anyone help me out with some examples? Thank you!
    If you would like to share your own thoughts first, Casey, you are more likely to receive some feedback.

Welcome to the Forum
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Oooh, I could write a lot about this. I have seen that film a few times now (ITV keeps repeating it...) and like it ever more since I've read P&P.

As Scheherazade said, we like to hear the OP give us something to think about first, but in order to already make a contribution, I'd say have a look at the structure and the general makeup of the characters, rather than looking at details.

The author of Bridget Jones's Diary admitted that she inspired Mark Darcy on Colin Firth's portrayal of Mr Darcy. Hence why Davies (the same adapter as 95's mini series of the original) casted Colin Firth.

That was my contribution for now.

Hopefully see you soon .
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)