Thread: Bibliotherapy

Bibliotherapy

The term itself might not be to everyone's liking, but I'm quite passionate about the idea that literature is of use not only as a form of entermainment or a source of pleasure (though it is most definitely both) but something also more akin to therapy and I would like to gauge the opinions of people on the forum.

I'd prefer it if there were no long tracts of the art for art's sake or all art is quite useless variety; not because I am dismissive of this viewpoint but because I am fully aware of it having been a disciple of Wilde, Pater, and other aesthetes at one time.

Also, as a side note to those who still consider Wilde's Preface to Dorian Gray as a manifesto for true appreciation of literature, as with all of Wilde's work it is important to bare in mind that he was a master of irony and did not hold sincerity in high regard.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    I can't bear to see an honest question unanswered, so here goes.

I like the act of reading books. I may not be that interested in the contents, and when I'm depressed I've found I don't have much appetite for reading.

But on the other hand when I've been seriously depressed, I've found a wander round a bookshop takes my mind off depression unfailingly.

I'm not happy with the concept of literature being justified as "useful" any more than that conversation is only justified if it conveys information.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Blog Entries
    I generally agree with the above.

Wandering around a bookstore can be very soothing - I'm not even sure why. Just the exposure to all manners of stories is a great distraction if nothing else.

As far as bibliotherapy - I can get behind the idea. I find writing more "therapeutic" than reading, but there is something to be said about either escaping for a brief period of time, or putting your own problems into perspective via the problems of others (in books)
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Invisible
    For me reading books can have both effects - they can be a therapy (give me new perspectives on depressing thoughts), but also can do otherwise (ruin my good mood, because they make me longing for a world, a life etc. that I don't have).

I love wandering around in libraries, particularly old ones. It makes it feel as if you are surrounded by supportive people.