Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Funniest Book Ever Read

Blog Entries
    I thought that Don Quixote Book I my Cervantes was hilarious, soda shootin' out the nostrils funny.

Forgive me its by Cervantes, not my Cervantes. I will practice more diligence in future posts.
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Blog Entries
    I thought "The Importance of being earnest" was really funny. My favourites, though, are by Idilko von Kürthy. Alas, I think there aren't any translation of her books, yet.
    “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”- Robert McCloskey

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Talking

If you want to laugh so hard you loose your breath...

Dave Barry

Pat McManus

Douglas Adams (especially his Dictionary Deeper Meaning of Liff written with John Lloyd

Ambrose Bierce's The Devil's Dictionary

Lewis Grizzard (Some get a little too earthy for my taste, but the man's killingly funny)

Robert Fulghum (He's a modern philosopher with a wicked wit and an hilarious outlook on life.)
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

the human trampoline
    Don quixote ,
    Hocus Pocus by Vonnegut.
    Slaughter house 5
    breakfast of champions

ham on rye and post office by bukowski

the things they carried

huckleberry finn
    All across the telegraph
    His name it did resound,
    But no charge held against him
    Could they prove.
    And there was no man around
    Who could track or chain him down,
    He was never known
    To make a foolish move.

Anything by P G Wodehouse makes me laugh, especially the Jeeves and Wooster books. In fact I am reading Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves at the moment and it's wonderful,Light as a soufflé but witty and entertaining. If you haven't read him I strongly recommend him to you. If everyone read Wodehouse there would be no depression in the world!
    It's a derelict old cinema packed with inflammable filmstock. Got a light? See? Careful. I'm everything you ever dreamed.

maybe i'm just way too happy in general, but i don't think i've ever read a book that didn't make me laugh, although some made me laugh more than the others.

the latest book that i remember laughing at more than ten times is nick hornby's a long way down.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Some people I know mentioned this book as a very funny one also..However, haven't got the chance to read it...

Quote Originally Posted by Themis
    I thought "The Importance of being earnest" was really funny.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by underground
    maybe i'm just way too happy in general, but i don't think i've ever read a book that didn't make me laugh, although some made me laugh more than the others.
    That's pretty much the same for me too ... Right now I'm reading this book called The Year My Life Went Down the Loo- by Katie Maxwell. It's hilarious

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Maybe you are, because I can not imagine someone's laughing when s/he read books like Crime and Punishment..

Perhaps.. ironic laughs?!

Quote Originally Posted by underground

I don't know whether this entirely counts as it isn't really fiction but a book that I can't stop laughing at is 'The World according to Jeremy Clarkson.' obviously by Jeremy Clarkson.

I love his TV show 'Top Gear' despite not knowing anything about cars, because it is really funny and the book is just as good.

It's filled with loads of small chapters with his opinion on everything from health and safety laws to the European Union and is a great read!

weer mijn koekjestrommel Schokokeks's Avatar
    "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving: very deftly written, Owen and his best friend are very comical yet heart-breaking characters. Very good read!
    "Where mind meets matter, both should woo!"
    Currently reading:
    * Paradise Lost by John Milton

Books that make you laugh

I stumbled across the title to this thread while tracking a URL that had entered my web site so I registered today to respond and offer a challenge to those who care about this timeless question.

I am the author of the golf book - 'Who Were the Red Ball People?'.

According to Golf Today Magazine:
    “‘Who were the Red Ball People?’ rivals the famed 'Golf in the Kingdom' but with much more panache and hilarity.”

“. . . This may be the funniest book I have read in my adult life. The specific vocabulary created by the author and the terms WILL find their way into the golf lexicon, I am almost certain!”

{snip}
    Last edited by Logos; 07-14-2006 at 07:57 AM. Reason: edited to remove further advertising/self-promotion

Lover of all things epic
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov was v.funny, in a clever way
    Hard Times by Charles Dickens was v. funny in certain places, particularly when "facts" are mentioned e/g: "In this life we want nothing but Facts, sir: nothing but Facts" and "ready to have imperial gallons of Facts poured into them.." Reminds me of an awful French teacher I used to have lol
    "Haunt me, take any form. Only, do not leave me in this abyss where I cannot find you."

Most of the books I would mention have already been listed, A Confederacy of Dunces, Master and Margarita and I would add Bulgakov's short story, Heart of a Dog, if simply for the dog's 'human' name, Polygraph Polygraphovich and the greatest thing is when someone gets his name wrong and calls him Telegraph Telegraphovich. People have already mentioned Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams and I would like to add a shout out to Adams' The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul, the scene with a naked Thor with floorboard glued to his back is absolutely priceless and to add to the Pratchett thing, Good Omens, the book he wrote with Neil Gaiman is the funniest story about the apocalypse ever written. Everything is Illuminated had some truly hilarious moments and Infinite Jest also had moments of comic genius.

Blog Entries
    Hmm, I think I'm the first to post this but I find many passages of Hemingway quite funny and I laugh out loud quite frequently throughout many of his novels. Particularly in 'A Farewell to Arms' mostly during the first bit of the book some of the conversations just made me laugh out loud.
    "Americans should know the universe itself as a road, as many roads, as roads for traveling souls."
    -Walt Whitman
    They have their worries, they’re counting the miles, they’re thinking about where to sleep tonight, how much money for gas, the weather, how they’ll get there—and all the time they’ll get there anyway, you see.
    -Jack Kerouac

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast