but sometimes I think of you.
    I light a cigarette
    and write one more line
    as
    the
    walls
    close
    in
    Last edited by E.A Rumfield; 09-12-2012 at 12:39 AM.
    Her hair was like a flowing cascade and her breasts were real awesome also.
    My ***** Better Have My Money by Fly Guy
    My ***** better have my money.
    Through rain, sleet, or snow,
    my ho better have my money.
    Not half, not some, but all my cash.
    Because if she don't, I'll put my foot dead in her ***.

Blog Entries
    I'm afraid this really doesn't read like a poem, more a blog or a diary entry. It's good prose with some nice humour though.

Live and be well - H

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A Rumfield View Post
    I don't write unless I am inspired to
    and I don't go out often, because
    usually there is nothing to do,
    and sometimes, peoples company
    bothers me more than solitude
    so I learned to make a friend
    out of the four walls
    "Human understanding is marvellously enlightened by daily conversation with men, for we are, otherwise, compressed and heaped up in ourselves, and have our sight limited to the length of our own noses." -Michel de Montaigne

It is good advice for any writer, because while ones own nose may be fascinating to them the rest of the world finds it quite boring. I am not belittling you, just giving some advice which will help with your poetry.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I must agree with Hawkman. As is a very common problem among contemporary poets (those of LitNet definitely not excluded) this just seems like prose broken up with odd line breaks. I think it's mostly a problem with the first two stanzas. I think the last two stanzas are quite good, though.

Quote Originally Posted by E.A Rumfield View Post
    I try not to think too much
    they say it's bad for you
    so I sit around smoking rolled cigarettes
    and reading several books at a time

I don't write unless I am inspired to
    and I don't go out often, because
    usually there is nothing to do,
    and sometimes, peoples company
    bothers me more than solitude
    so I learned to make a friend
    out of the four walls

you are going to be around
    yourself for the rest of your life

so

you

better

get used to it

Anyway
    there are
    worse things
    than being alone
    and the sooner you learn that the better

but sometimes the four walls
    start to stare back
    and close in
    and when that happens
    I like to think of all the beautiful things

like an evergreen forest
    after the first snowfall
    with a pair of footprints
    leading to a lonely frozen lake

or

my insomnia
    as you sleep, peacefully next to me
    with your hair fanned across the sheets,
    an ode to randomness

And even though you're gone now
    your smell remains,
    for now at least
    though I don't miss you
    like I don't miss that scab
    I picked off this
    morning
    but sometimes I think of you.
    I light a cigarette
    and write one more line
    as
    the
    walls
    close
    in
    Sixty years ago, you would have been hailed as a beatnik but they belonged, albeit as a temporary aberration, to another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    "Human understanding is marvellously enlightened by daily conversation with men, for we are, otherwise, compressed and heaped up in ourselves, and have our sight limited to the length of our own noses." -Michel de Montaigne

It is good advice for any writer, because while ones own nose may be fascinating to them the rest of the world finds it quite boring. I am not belittling you, just giving some advice which will help with your poetry.
    This may be true but it's worth remembering that Montaigne, a man whom I am also wont to quote occasionally, didn't live in an age when physical communication had been reduced to conversation by electronically transmitted signals via the Internet and similar devices.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I must agree with Hawkman. As is a very common problem among contemporary poets (those of LitNet definitely not excluded) this just seems like prose broken up with odd line breaks. I think it's mostly a problem with the first two stanzas. I think the last two stanzas are quite good, though.

Thomas Disch called it "snapped prose":

Take any piece of prose you like
    and snap it into lines of verse
    like this, using the end of the line

as a kind of comma. You can create
    a further sense of shapeliness
    by grouping the snapped prose in stanzas, so.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

It is very prosey as others have already pointed out (blogs are rarely as well constructed), but I still think it has certain merits.

My only piece of advice would have been to make it much shorter. You had a great exit line with

so

you

better

get used to it

but for some reason you stretched the idea to its limit and beyond.

H

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    This may be true but it's worth remembering that Montaigne, a man whom I am also wont to quote occasionally, didn't live in an age when physical communication had been reduced to conversation by electronically transmitted signals via the Internet and similar devices.
    As a recently turned 20 year old (my birthday was last week), who goes to university and lives with a group of 5 other fellows - I have no idea what you are talking about. Modern technology allows me to stay in touch and communicate with my friends in real-time and without cost from Singapore to Argentina regardless of where I am in the world. When I have the benefit of being in the same same physical location as a friend, communication occurs as it normal has occurred for millennia. The case is the same for other 20 year olds.

Naturally there are children who all sit at table texting each other instead of talking, but considering the quality of conversation of the average 12 year old, I cannot help but feel grateful that instead of communicating out loud and polluting the environment with their noise they do it in the most silent of manners available. I also cannot help but feel that it is your lack of understanding viz modern technology that produces your hostile and rather inexplicable opinions.

As a recently turned 20 year old (my birthday was last week), who goes to university and lives with a group of 5 other fellows - I have no idea what you are talking about. Modern technology allows me to stay in touch and communicate with my friends in real-time and without cost from Singapore to Argentina regardless of where I am in the world. When I have the benefit of being in the same same physical location as a friend, communication occurs as it normal has occurred for millennia. The case is the same for other 20 year olds.

Naturally there are children who all sit at table texting each other instead of talking, but considering the quality of conversation of the average 12 year old, I cannot help but feel grateful that instead of communicating out loud and polluting the environment with their noise they do it in the most silent of manners available. I also cannot help but feel that it is your lack of understanding viz modern technology that produces your hostile and rather inexplicable opinions.
    As someone who was working with computers even before DOS, I think my understanding of new technology is probably greater than your own.
    However, I suppose that one does have to make allowances for 20-year-old undergraduates.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

A 40 Bag To Freedom E.A Rumfield's Avatar
    What does any of this have to do with what I wrote? Most conversation is trying and I'd rather avoid it then fake my way through it. For the few people out of every hundred that has something interesting to say I am a participant. And if it is not poetry what would make it so, should it dwell in some abstract realm of faux meaning. It is quite straight forward instead I say what I mean nothing else.
    Last edited by E.A Rumfield; 09-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.

some parts of the text relate to poetry, others not or less... nevertheless there is something inside it that retains the attention of the reader.
    He noblest lives and noblest dies
    who makes and keeps his self-made laws

Richard Francis Burton

Blog Entries
    Poetry is not grounded in faux meaning, or even heightened meaning (unless it's a sonnet) - but it has a rhythm. Anything from structured, to blank, to free verse has a distinguished rhythm that is not just lines broken up based on arbitrary pauses.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    As someone who was working with computers even before DOS, I think my understanding of new technology is probably greater than your own.
    However, I suppose that one does have to make allowances for 20-year-old undergraduates.
    I have had a dcik since I was born, doesn't mean I know how to use it. Faulty logic comrade.

Besides the opinions you expressed are so stereotypical and at odds with reality that what else am I to assume if not that you resort to false stereotypes, and cliche generalizations because you don't know how to use this modern technology, and thus it appears ebil...?

Most conversation is trying and I'd rather avoid it then fake my way through it. For the few people out of every hundred that has something interesting to say I am a participant.
    Have you ever considered the fact that the problem is you and not everyone else? I mean based on the views you expressed about contemporary culture in another thread, the majority of peoples views are too mature for you. Instead of rejecting them because they are not like yours, why not try to pay attention to them?

And if it is not poetry what would make it so, should it dwell in some abstract realm of faux meaning. It is quite straight forward instead I say what I mean nothing else.
    No one here is saying that it is not poetry, they are just trying to say that is is not very good poetry. And one of the chief reasons that it is not very good is that it is too prosaic and lacks art.

I have had a dcik since I was born, doesn't mean I know how to use it. Faulty logic comrade.

Besides the opinions you expressed are so stereotypical and at odds with reality that what else am I to assume if not that you resort to false stereotypes, and cliche generalizations because you don't know how to use this modern technology, and thus it appears ebil...?
    This merely underlines what I have said. Your views, as with anyone else, would have more conviction were they to be made personally rather than by use of the Internet. A face to face conversation will always be more meaningful than one carried on over an Internet chat line between people who don't have any personal connection.

A 40 Bag To Freedom E.A Rumfield's Avatar
    I disagree and I never liked the stink of art anyway. And Charles it is not broken up arbitrarily it has its own rhythm and is pleasant to read I thought. But never mind dwelling in the past is useless and the goal is to master new terrains and while this is unfamiliar ground I am sure I'll gain my footing soon enough.

And behold another pathetic pissing contest on a windy day where no one wins and everyone smells like urine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast