Thread: Buddy Reads: The Magnificent Ambersons

Blog Entries

Buddy Reads: The Magnificent Ambersons

I had been looking forward to reading The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington for a while, and since it will not be chosen for our official book club read, I plan on going ahead with my reading of it still and thought I would create this for anyone else interested in reading and discussing this book.

You can join in at any time, and discuss as you read along, there are know set times for reading and discussing, please just try and post spoiler warnings.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I will join you as I have it on my ereader.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Cool Booth Tarkington is one of America's most neglected authors

I read him extensively as a teenager. Read not only Ambersons, but his Penrod books which have been compared to Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn for early 20th century juvenalia adventures. His historical novella, Monsieur Beaucaire, is also a good read.

The Magnificent Ambersons was made into a movie by Orson Wells shortly before (maybe shortly after) he made Citizen Kane. It is one of the best movies of the 20th century and has Well's Mercury players (Joseph Cotton, Agnes Moorehead, et al) in the roles.

Tark, as he was called, was a midwesterner born at Indianapolis, Indiana and Princeton educated. He won the Pulitzer Prize twice. Others of a long list of novels are Seventeen and Alice Adams.
    Last edited by dfloyd; 09-03-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Half-way through (it is a quick read) and enjoying it very much as I often do with American Literature from early 20th C.

Read Alice Adams a few years ago and it was dealing with similar issues even though the approach was from a different angle.

Does anyone else feel like bopping Georgie?
    ~
    ~

Blog Entries
    I myself am a bit of a fan of 20th century lit. I am not yet that far along, but yes Gerogie is quite the annoying character. I have to say I am starting to agree with everyone else in wanting to see him get what is coming to him. And his parents should be bopped on for letting him get away with it.

Thus far I have to say I have some mixed feelings about the narrative, while I am enjoying it, and it is easy to read, it is hard for me to really get into. I enjoy learning about the different passing fads and fashions of the day and the cultural atmosphere, but I do not really feel much of a connection to the characters in the book.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    I myself am a bit of a fan of 20th century lit. I am not yet that far along, but yes Gerogie is quite the annoying character. I have to say I am starting to agree with everyone else in wanting to see him get what is coming to him. And his parents should be bopped on for letting him get away with it.
    I think it is one of his problems that there isn't a strong male figure in his life. For quite a while, I assumed that the father must have died because he was never mentioned. When we come across him, it becomes obvious why.
    Thus far I have to say I have some mixed feelings about the narrative, while I am enjoying it, and it is easy to read, it is hard for me to really get into. I enjoy learning about the different passing fads and fashions of the day and the cultural atmosphere, but I do not really feel much of a connection to the characters in the book.
    I think the fads and fashions tie in nicely with the theme of the book; I have enjoyed reading about those too.

Regarding the characters, I like Eugene and Lucy.

The movie is available on youtube, by the way.
    ~
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    I think it is one of his problems that there isn't a strong male figure in his life. For quite a while, I assumed that the father must have died because he was never mentioned. When we come across him, it becomes obvious why.I think the fads and fashions tie in nicely with the theme of the book; I have enjoyed reading about those too.

Regarding the characters, I like Eugene and Lucy.

The movie is available on youtube, by the way.
    I thought it was curious how the father seemed to play such a little role within his life, and only his mother ever was mentioned. I also found it quite interesting when in fact it stated that children belonged much more to the mother's family then the father's as generally speaking it usually goes the other way (at least historically).

I have just got to the chapters of which Lucy is introduced but thus far I am enjoying her character, and she seems quite interesting.

Also I think George's belief that girls ought to be aloud to attend college was rather surprising and unexpected.

I think George was being rather patronising and arrogant when he made that comment about girls needing to attend college.

Finished the book. For me, it went down hill after Lucy's refusal and the ending was utter disappointment.

Still feel Alice Adams was a much superior book.
    ~
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    I think George was being rather patronising and arrogant when he made that comment about girls needing to attend college.
    Yes he was being partonizing when he said, but I still found his making the remark to be surprising, even if he was not saying it in earnest.

Blog Entries
    I am starting to quite like Mr. Morgan, and Fanny. I am finding that as the story progresses the characters are starting to be developed more, and taking on more vivid life. I have to say though thus far while I am enjoying reading the book, and I find it entertaining, I do like the humor of it, I cannot say as I am really blown away or deeply impressed by it.

Blog Entries
    I think it is interesting seeing the way in which the magnificence of the Ambersons seem to be fading away in part because of George's own pride, in the way in which he looks down on everyone else and refuses to acknowledge the fact that anyone could do anything better than the Amberson way and so he refuses to see the changing world around him and obstinately clings to the old ways that are starting to be left behind.

His refusal to see anything which disagrees with him can be seen in various ways throughout the story. Even as automobiles are becoming more and more popular and advanced, he still insists upon their inferiority compared to horses, and tries to laugh them off. There was also his scoffing of the idea of building apartments, and his mockery of the house which Lucy liked better than Amberson's mansion, which shows George being blind to how the town is developing and changing around him. As well there was his persistence in insisting that nothing was wrong with his father, and his unwillingness to see him as ill.