Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you met any poets?

Have you met any poets?

So, have you met any poets in your time, or established a correspondence with one? How would you describe them? Perhaps this can develop into an instructive discussion.
    What is now proved was only once imagined. Blake

Why..no not really it is kind of difficult when there is so much poetry here to be had.
    Why go looking for one plus I do not really wish to bump into a Larkin in case I get depressive tones from him.
    I like it light and refreshing like a glass of fizzy water only with a squeeze of fresh for a zesty after taste.
    You see I have just finished writing this one as my signature. It takes time effort and dedication.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    I hear they sometimes can shapeshift into animals. Other tales say that they can fly, but only when the moon is waning.

Or if you don't buy that, then they are people. Some are really nice, some are *******s - as people are.

During my time at university I met some prominent and some not-so prominent Canadian poets.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Blog Entries
    I hear they are nocturnal and exist as fluffballs under beds during the day...but that's a story my grandfather told me.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    Why..no not really it is kind of difficult when there is so much poetry here to be had.
    Why go looking for one plus I do not really wish to bump into a Larkin in case I get depressive tones from him.
    I like it light and refreshing like a glass of fizzy water only with a squeeze of fresh for a zesty after taste.
    You see I have just finished writing this one as my signature. It takes time effort and dedication.
    Do I detect echos of Robert Frost in your signature?
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Do I detect echos of Robert Frost in your signature?
    Haha Robert Frost?! well I am not so sure and I am flattered indeed.

Last edited by cacian; 08-30-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, dozens of them.

I'm a member (albeit not a productive one) of my university's poetry society - quite a few of my friends therein are published poets. Heck, two of my housemates are published poets.

Or do you specifically mean famous poets? I've met Andrew Motion and Simon Armitage, but that's about it.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've met Simon Armitage. He was lovely. I'd like to meet Mark Strand but I fear I might end up licking his shoes.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

I'm familiar with Andrew Motion alright. What was your impression? What about Seamus Heaney and Paul Muldoon, and Derek Mahon?
    I am not studied in the poetry of Mark Strand - this is the first I have heard of the poet - but he must be of some merit for you to abase yourself for him!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yeah. They're just people like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    Indeed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    'People like everyone else?' If they were like everyone else they probably wouldn't be poets, I guess. I don't think everyone chooses to write poetry fairly regularly or call themselves a poet.

People, like everyone else? Well, yes, apart from the supernatural poets and the born-again Edgar Allen Poes.

I have met several published poets in this city and in New Zealand. They come in various colours. Some enjoy reciting their poetry from memory while others would be lost without the paper their poems are written on. Some are unkempt while others are tidy. Many here like to drink, a few don't. It's very hard to categorize what poets are like, but poets love language and literature otherwise they would be doing something else.
    Last edited by Silas Thorne; 08-30-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Famous poets? No.

But, I've met plenty of local poets in the various cities...They're a lot like musicians. You respect the **** out of them for their enormous talent, drive, and artistic integrity...But when you hang out with them long enough and have to stop what you're doing every 20 minutes to listen to every half-baked composition they've ever come up with, you start to get a tad annoyed and wish they would chill out a little bit. This is mostly true of the younger (late teens to early 20's) ones, I think.

no.i dint meet anyone.but am interested to see them

Blog Entries
    I met Ted Hughes. He had presence.
    ay up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast