Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Sensuality and what it means

Wink Sensuality and what it means

I often hear of sensuality but never quite sure what it actually means.
    I am sure sexuality plays a part in it but not all of it.

What does sensuality involve and how do we associate with it?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry, but do you really need to make a thread for every inconsequential question that pops into your head?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    I'm sorry, but do you really need to make a thread for every inconsequential question that pops into your head?
    Why don't you create a thread for that question?
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sensuality is essentially essentially related to... or an indulgence in/embrace of pleasures of the senses. Sexuality is frequently linked with Sensuality for the simple reason that sex is perhaps the most sensual human experience... an experience of a heightened awareness of sight, touch, taste, etc... But one can speak of sensuality of sound in referring to a given singer's voice or the lush music of Wagner or Debussy. One may speak of the sensuality of language with regard to Shakespeare, Keats, Verlaine, Proust, etc... Not only do they employ a language that alludes or suggests pleasures of sight, touch, sound, etc... but the very sound of their language is sensual. And of course one may refer to art as sensual. The paintings of Rubens:

Ingres:

Pierre Bonnard:

Matisse:

and others are all incredibly sensuous... regardless of the subject matter they choose (I intentionally avoided all nudes) due to the manner in which they can seemingly convey the sense of touch... the texture of satin, lace, or flesh; the way in which they can suggest warmth or cool; as well as the sensuality of color itself.

Sensuality can seemingly relate to any pleasure of the senses. Is there not a definite sensuality in a medium-rare Prime Rib accompanied by a glass of wine... in coffee... in chocolate... or even (for those who imbibe) in tobacco?
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta40 View Post
    Why don't you create a thread for that question?
    I'm surprised cacian didn't beat me to it.

All in all, though, I guess I should be thankful this thread was created since it brought about one of stlukes art lessons. There should be an egg-on-face or crow-eating emoticon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    Indeed you guessed it right.
    whenever an idea pops into my head I shall attempt to share it and discuss with friends here with or without your consent.

Unless you are saying your the Zeus of all threads which in this case it still does not stop from thinking it.

If at any moment you think a thread is not tailored to your needs you could start your own threads

That will save you and me the inconsequential irritable task of arguments.
    Last edited by cacian; 08-19-2012 at 06:06 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Stlukes thank you for the interesting thread.
    What I am not getting is where does sensuality stand in terms of sexuality?
    Am I right to say that sexy is not the same as sensual because one is to do with the act of sex itself and the other is arousal of the senses from the 'flesh' only.
    One is active and the other is passive.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    What I am not getting is where does sensuality stand in terms of sexuality?
    Am I right to say that sexy is not the same as sensual because one is to do with the act of sex itself and the other is arousal of the senses from the 'flesh' only.
    One is active and the other is passive.

Well... if you are trying to differentiate the term "Sexy" as opposed to "Sensual" as they are used in the English language with regards to sexuality you must realize that this will vary according to the user. I wouldn't say "sexy" is limited to that directly linked with the act of sex... nor that "sensuality" is limited to the flesh only. A person's voice, their perfume or scent... even the way they move can be interpreted as sensual. "Sexy" (to me) refers to someone whose appearance are immediately sexually attractive... a sort of combination of "cute" and "hot". In some ways "sexy" seems less... seductive... less overtly evocative than "sensual".

Audrey Hepburn was "sexy":

Drew Barrymore is "sexy":

Jessica Alba is "sexy":

Scarlet Johansson is "sexy":

"Sensual" seems to convey or evoke a more intense response related to the senses. For example, Liz Taylor clear had sensual eyes. Many would speak of her eyes as "hypnotic" or "smoldering"...

... and Taylor eye's retained this aspect even as she grew older and put on weight.

The same can be said of Marilyn Monroe's "bedroom eyes" and that arch in her eyebrows that suggested at once a playful innocence and yet an woman fully aware of her effect upon men ... and certainly her lips convey ideas related to the senses:

Angelina Jolie and Scarlet Johansson are both known for their sensual lips:

As I suggested above... sensuality, with regard to people might refer to a scent or perfume, to taste, or to the way a person moves.

Sensuality is also not so limited to a common youthful idea of what constitutes "sexy". Salma Hayek and Monica Bellucci both ooze sensuality... and yet at nearly 50 years old they are certainly not the common ideal of "sexy":

By the same token, neither Christina Hendricks and Crystal Renn would fit the average fashion designer's or Hollywood casting crews notion of "sexy". Both are far too voluptuous... and yet both are clearly extremely sensual women:

Of course this is but a single interpretation. Others may have a different take on the terms.
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain

Great stuff Stlukes anything sensual regarding the opposite sex?
    I am sure a man can be as sexy as a woman if not more right?
    Sex symbols tend to always be women which is byest in a way.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    ...anything sensual regarding the opposite sex?

I'll leave that to others.

I am sure a man can be as sexy as a woman if not more right? Sex symbols tend to always be women which is byest in a way.

Surely there have been plenty of male sex symbols... whether we are speaking of rock and pop stars (Elvis) or actors (Marlon Brando, James Dean, etc...)

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    Great stuff Stlukes anything sensual regarding the opposite sex?
    I am sure a man can be as sexy as a woman if not more right?
    Sex symbols tend to always be women which is byest in a way.
    Depends on where you are. The bulldog bathouse has all men on the wall. They need to sort out to floor though - sooo slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt View Post
    Depends on where you are. The bulldog bathouse has all men on the wall. They need to sort out to floor though - sooo slippery.
    Sorry tony I can't make sense of this. Would you mind explaining what you mean?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    ...anything sensual regarding the opposite sex?

I'll leave that to others.

I am sure a man can be as sexy as a woman if not more right? Sex symbols tend to always be women which is byest in a way.

Surely there have been plenty of male sex symbols... whether we are speaking of rock and pop stars (Elvis) or actors (Marlon Brando, James Dean, etc...)

Oh, I was hoping for a few sensual men pics from you...

I can see sensual aspects in women but I do find it harder in men. James Dean was not sensual to me, but just a hot rebel...

but is sensual a part of ones look? can't it be the way a person acts? The only male I can think of that has sensual eyes is Morrissey, and I can't really explain why.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    Oh, I was hoping for a few sensual men pics from you...

I can see sensual aspects in women but I do find it harder in men. James Dean was not sensual to me, but just a hot rebel...
    but is sensual a part of ones look? can't it be the way a person acts? The only male I can think of that has sensual eyes is Morrissey, and I can't really explain why.
    That is music to my ears and what a hero/heart throb he was simply amasing.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly