Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DON'T READ if you've never read The Count of Monte Cristo

DON'T READ if you've never read The Count of Monte Cristo

:o :o :o If you've never read The Count of Monte Cristo, DON'T READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! My question might spoil the story. If you have read it, I need help!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o

Dumas is very good at weaving his characters in an intricate web, but I think I got lost in it. Did I miss something, or is the fake son of Cavalcanti the runaway adopted son, who is also the illigitamite child of Madame Danglars and M. Villefort. If this is true, then isn't Monte Cristo setting up a half brother and sister as he is trying to set Cavalcanti up with Euginie? How disgusting!

I've only read to chapter 70 so please don't give me too much info!!!!!!!!
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

I can't believe nobody has responded to my question yet! I don't want to keep reading the story with the wrong idea!!!!!!!
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

HELLO???

Your topic title scared everyone off..

I've not read it though.

Ummm... I haven't read the book for a while, but I believe that you're right about the half-sister/brother thing, and now I am fairly disturbed. But yes, I do believe your right.
    There's my two cents... don't spend it all in one place.

Thank you!! very much! I didn't realize that my title scared everyone off. I noticed that people were looking at it but no one was responding. thanx again for the affirmation!

Shea, I haven't read the book (my French is only gaining strength) but I have seen the movie as a child. It seemed adventurish then. I already forgot all the names from this story except Monte Cristo.

Now I don't think I have humour to read Dumas even when my French improves

Every story is an adventure to me because I'm no longer myself, I've become the characters. I guess it's my escape from life.

I never saw the older version of the movie. I saw the new one before I began the book. As I kept reading, I became more and more disappointed in the movie (as I am almost all the time). The book, as always, is much better!

Shea, the movie I mentioned was French, starring Jean Marais (1954).

yeap you're right...they are sister and brother...but we must think that the count of monte cristo didn.t wanted them to get marry he just used them...I mean he used cavalcanti just to hit danglars..he never tried to actually get them married..I mean...not to finninsh their wedding ceremony:P.....the one who continued the story of Dumas's count of Monte Cristo is Jules Lermina in'The son of Monte Cristo"..in which we see more of the relationship between calvacanti and Eugen...so don.t be mean with the count of monte cristo he knew what he was doing just form the start! (ps...I.m a bit happy because romania is finally going to be accepted in U.E..maybe we will finnaly live better!..)

Darksoul makes an excellent point, because - well I don't want to spoil anything, but Monte Cristo's planning is almost flawless untill - well read it and find out.

Blog Entries
    I haven't read the book.. I was saving up for it though..
    Dreams! adorations! illuminations! religions!
    the whole boatload of sensitive !

— Allen Ginsberg, Howl II.

I am going to assume that you have not read the rest of the book, but it is revealed that the younger Calcaventi(sp) is the abandoned son of Villefort. I think that the Count could easily read that Euginie was in no way interested in Calcaventi. Plus since the Count knew exactly who Calcaventi really was, and the things he had done, he knew that something would make Calcaventi leave. Either the marriage would go through, and the inevetable revelation would be part of Danglar's downfall, in addition to his financial desolation. Or, as happened in the book, Calcaventi ran away.

In the end, all that really matters is that the Count used Calcaventi for revenge upon both Danglars and Cadderouse.

Please excuse my inability to spell.

Blog Entries
    Monte Cristo didn't want to see them married, he was merely using then in his elaborate plan for revenge.
    Shall these bones live?

The first time I read the book I thought the same, but after reading the ending and having the whole plot come together it made sense. So, yeah Dantes just used them both for his plot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast