Thread: David Foster Wallace, Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries

David Foster Wallace, Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story

DFW's biography is to be released on 31st August this year. I am a big fan, but it will be a bit hard to read.

Blog Entries
    I read most of the biography last night-it's very good. A lot of information on his writing process - which was good for aspiring writers. He was also equally gifted at math in university - which is pretty damned incredible.

You jumped on that quick. I had read that it was coming out but wasn't sure if I wanted to read it, however I would be interested in reading about his writing process, especially on his use of footnotes. Do you know what the relationship was between the author and DFW? Has learning more about his life changed the way you feel about his work?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLucky View Post
    You jumped on that quick. I had read that it was coming out but wasn't sure if I wanted to read it, however I would be interested in reading about his writing process, especially on his use of footnotes. Do you know what the relationship was between the author and DFW? Has learning more about his life changed the way you feel about his work?
    The author, DT Max was a writer at New Yorker who had written a very long article about DFW after his death. I know he was not a very close friend of DFW, but would likely have met him at some point.

I feel the same about his work, but wish he could have written more conventionally at times. Ironically (or not) he wanted a certain amount of applause, but the complexity of this books afforded him a small but cult following.

I have read the article I think you are referring to titled "The Unfinished." In an interview, I think with Charlie Rose, DFW talks about how when Infinite Jest first came out it received a lot of praise but he didn't think that a lot of the people praising the book had even had enough time to read it. Thanks for the information, I think I'll check it out.