Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiction - "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    In a review by the great Dorothy Parker she said that the problem she had with a certain book was that once she put it down, she couldn't pick it up again.
    This is one of my all time favorite quotes, but I had always heard it attributed to another great writer with a talent for the insult: Mark Twain. It's included in "The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain":

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ee_...0twain&f=false

but I don't know if it can actually be found in his letters or any other actual documents of his, or what the original source might be...
    Last edited by billl; 08-13-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buh4Bee View Post
    Maybe it wasn't the book, all that beauty and genius of a young god approaching may have blinded her into submission.
    Do I detect a note of sarcasm ? I ask only because the recipient might take it as a compliment.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    I've never heard of this book except for on litnet and reddit. I never would have guessed that a sadomasochistic book would become mainstream, that's surprising. The way I've heard it described, it sounds like Secretary. I loved that movie.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

I'm starting to think I should maybe at least skim a few chapters, just to get an idea of what might be expected of me.

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by billl View Post
    I'm starting to think I should maybe at least skim a few chapters, just to get an idea of what might be expected of me.
    I read the first few pages on Amazon. It left me totally bemused as to what all the fuss was about. It reads like the worst part of your teenage years - continuous babbling stream of consciousness of the worst kind of inanity. Made me disappointed to be a woman, that my fellow gender would fall for such utter cr*p in droves. Having read some reviews of the book the worst thing about it seems to be not the sex but the fact that it seeks to romanticise what is in essence nothing more than an abusive relationship in which a supposidly educated women willingly signs away her freedom for the sake of...well I've not really figured that big out. A large **** by all accounts.

If you want to read a good S&M book, read The Story of O, for general erotica, it'd be hard to surpass Anais Nin. For sexy fiction, Nicholson Baker has some interesting takes (I'm just reading The Fermata and it's pretty sexy).

There's much, much better erotica out there.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Whoa, slow down, that was a lot to digest in that paragraph, women are signing away their freedom in droves or something?

"The Fermata", though--that's a great read!

Blog Entries
    That's it, I'm reading it.
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 08-14-2012 at 06:17 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    I wonder if Mrs P would like it for Christmas? It would make a change from Georgette Heyer.
    ay up

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    That's it, I'm reading it.
    Ooo, you HAVE to do a review on this thread once you're done!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Props to you if you can get through it, Juniper. I thought of reading it too, but when I read some excerpts of some of the more elicit parts (because, really, what else is there to be interested in?) I found the prose so astoundingly horrible, I just couldn't do it. Plus, the sex parts I read seem along the lines of any online erotica one can read for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    Props to you if you can get through it, Juniper. I thought of reading it too, but when I read some excerpts of some of the more elicit parts (because, really, what else is there to be interested in?) I found the prose so astoundingly horrible, I just couldn't do it. Plus, the sex parts I read seem along the lines of any online erotica one can read for free.
    I read some of the reviews on Amazon...hilarious to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by billl View Post
    Whoa, slow down, that was a lot to digest in that paragraph, women are signing away their freedom in droves or something?
    hahaha, No. Women are READING it in droves.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TurquoiseSunset View Post
    I read some of the reviews on Amazon...hilarious to say the least.
    Yep there are some excellent reviews on Amazon. Also this one on Goodreads which, I think, tells you everything you need to know
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TurquoiseSunset View Post
    Ooo, you HAVE to do a review on this thread once you're done!
    I will, I'll be like a litnet inside investigator. I'm having a hard time finding it online though, so I'll have to wait until I'm in Van because they have actual libraries (and I'll be damned if I'm paying to read something that is by most accounts terrible).
    -Pi

Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    Yep there are some excellent reviews on Amazon. Also this one on Goodreads which, I think, tells you everything you need to know
    Ahahahahaha! Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    I'll be damned if I'm paying to read something that is by most accounts terrible
    Absolutely, my thoughts exactly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast