Thread: A Novice and "War and Peace"

A Novice and "War and Peace"

I'm about to begin War and Peace (Tolstoy of course) and having only read a dozen or so of his short stories, I got the bright idea I would consult you bright folks for tips. I've heard people keeping notebooks to track characters, things like that. Anything that might be helpful is welcome indeed. Thanks in advance.
    Nothing resting in its own completeness
    Can have worth or beauty; but alone
    Because it leads and tends to farther sweetness,
    Fuller, higher, deeper than its own.

Quote Originally Posted by ZTay View Post
    I'm about to begin War and Peace (Tolstoy of course) and having only read a dozen or so of his short stories, I got the bright idea I would consult you bright folks for tips. I've heard people keeping notebooks to track characters, things like that. Anything that might be helpful is welcome indeed. Thanks in advance.
    I'm hoping to start reading W & P soon, but what I'll be doing is watching filmed versions first, so I can get the main characters set in my head. That approach helped me finally get through Lord of the Rings.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

I suggest making good use of Sparknotes and, or, Wikipedia. These can be very helpful as a character reference and background information while reading, as well as giving helpful analysis for hard to understand parts. I also keep brief notes for most of the novels I read. If nothing else, writing some words down helps me to retain the information longer.

For grievous war these arms don't ask,
    No armor, save this joyous flask

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bIGwIRE View Post
    I suggest making good use of Sparknotes and, or, Wikipedia. These can be very helpful as a character reference and background information while reading, as well as giving helpful analysis for hard to understand parts. I also keep brief notes for most of the novels I read. If nothing else, writing some words down helps me to retain the information longer.
    Good idea, as there are many names and variations of the same names. This is true of most of the translations that I have seen. Sparknotes is excellent as a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    I'm hoping to start reading W & P soon, but what I'll be doing is watching filmed versions first, so I can get the main characters set in my head. That approach helped me finally get through Lord of the Rings.
    I'm nearly through the first book now: it's overwhelmingly well-crafted. Keeping up with the characters hasn't been too difficult because Tolstoy gives them so much life! It's really remarkable. In doing so too, with so many characters, when 2 characters you know interact for the first time you go, "ohhh I wonder how this is going to go!". Not nearly the burden I expected.

I watched Mel Gibson's Hamlet after reading it recently. It was a help. I'm a little weary of things that will reveal the story before I read it. I've even avoided Wikipedia. Tho 1,000 pages remain, I find myself thinking about rereading the book already! Daydreams of triumph in the model of Prince Andrei!
    Nothing resting in its own completeness
    Can have worth or beauty; but alone
    Because it leads and tends to farther sweetness,
    Fuller, higher, deeper than its own.

I just finished War and Peace and felt it helpful to take a break about a third of the way through to study Napoleonic battle strategy. I was able to enjoy the long chapters taking place on the battle fields when the names of the generals, the sites and the manouvers were clarified.