Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Have you been published?

The 5&1/2 Minute Hallway The Truth's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Small presses sound like they do beautiful thing, I should really start looking for the right one for me.
    Why did god create a dual universe?
    So he might say
    Be not like me. I am alone.'
    And it might be heard.

― Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Small presses sound like they do beautiful thing, I should really start looking for the right one for me.
    Definitely check their websites and maybe read a few of the authors that publish from them. Astraea Press is very specific about certain things as it's a christian company -- though your work does not have to be religiously themed to write for them. Here's what I mean, http://www.astraeapress.com/submissions.html

Darcy, if you write romances, you should check out that link too. Though they publish other genres, they focus on romance. But it must be "clean."

Hope that helps!
    Hwt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/eodcuninga rum gefrunon,/hu a elingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaena reatum,/ monegum mgum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syan rest wear/ feasceaft funden; he s frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weormyndum ah,/ ot him ghwylc ara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. t ws god cyning!

Blog Entries
    Yeah my work is not clean. haha

But thankfully, there's literally a small press for everything.
    So he might say
    And it might be heard.

Yeah my work is not clean. haha

But thankfully, there's literally a small press for everything.
    lol, yeah I'm sure you'll find a fit. You might even shoot an e-mail to my publisher and ask her advice. She was in the publishing industry for several years before starting Astraea and might be able to point you in the right direction. http://www.astraeapress.com/contact.html
    Hwt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/eodcuninga rum gefrunon,/hu a elingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaena reatum,/ monegum mgum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syan rest wear/ feasceaft funden; he s frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weormyndum ah,/ ot him ghwylc ara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. t ws god cyning!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    lol, yeah I'm sure you'll find a fit. You might even shoot an e-mail to my publisher and ask her advice. She was in the publishing industry for several years before starting Astraea and might be able to point you in the right direction. http://www.astraeapress.com/contact.html
    Thanks a ton! I may do just that!
    So he might say
    And it might be heard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    Definitely check their websites and maybe read a few of the authors that publish from them. Astraea Press is very specific about certain things as it's a christian company -- though your work does not have to be religiously themed to write for them. Here's what I mean, http://www.astraeapress.com/submissions.html

Darcy, if you write romances, you should check out that link too. Though they publish other genres, they focus on romance. But it must be "clean."

Hope that helps!
    Thank you. That looks like a decent company. I like writing young adult fiction. I had a weird high school experience and so I like vicariously living out one more ideal.
    Last edited by Darcy88; 07-25-2012 at 08:04 PM.

No problem to the both of you. Glad I could help!

Darcy, the main character of "Harp Lessons" is essentially a fictionalized version of myself as a freshman in college. Though I never studied at NYU and never fell in love with a man from Ireland. I totally understand where you are coming from.

Blog Entries
    I had 4 short stories published but it doesn't really count because my sister was editor of the magazine so I didn't face as much chance of rejection as others might, anyway only the first one was any good, the other three were just crap spin offs of the original story, it's just embarrassing reading them back now (annoyingly the first one was anonymous but the later 3 weren't, it should have been the other way round)
    What are regrets? Just lessons we haven't learned yet - Beth Orton

Blog Entries
    Shea, I emailed her and she really couldn't help me with anything. Thanks for the contact anyway, I'm still looking around.
    So he might say
    And it might be heard.

Shea, I emailed her and she really couldn't help me with anything. Thanks for the contact anyway, I'm still looking around.
    Oh, well. Worth a shot. Good luck!

Nielgee, I'll look at some of my old stuff from high school sometimes, and think "Did I really let my teacher read that?" I'm glad I never tried to publish any of it... lol

Blog Entries
    I thought I'd bring this up in this thread:

I was thinking of writing a collection of poetry specifically for the chapbook genre which I've researched a little and it seems like a very cool form of publication. Has anyone looked into this? It seems like chapbook publishers seem like respectable companies and I would love to see my work in that form. Any advice?
    So he might say
    And it might be heard.

I thought I'd bring this up in this thread:

I was thinking of writing a collection of poetry specifically for the chapbook genre which I've researched a little and it seems like a very cool form of publication. Has anyone looked into this? It seems like chapbook publishers seem like respectable companies and I would love to see my work in that form. Any advice?
    Make sure they have a good editor, expect to do most of your own marketing, and only go for a small and inexpensive run first of all.

Two short stories and a poem in community college "literary journal". They pretty much published anything submitted though I think.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234