Thread: Alternative ending for Tess

Alternative ending for Tess

What would have happened if Tess's bad luck had changed at Wintoncester? It seems quite likely she would have received a reprieve and possibly even a parole after a number of years (see here) No doubt Angel would have hired a good lawyer to defend her case. Would he have stuck by her though, or would he have divorced her while she was in prison? He would not know how long she would be in jail, and he had the grounds for divorce. Surely he would not divorce Tess and then marry her sister (especially as marrying a sisten-in-law was illegal). I read in the library that Thomas Hardy said that Angel would eventually have started taunting Tess for her second fall if she had lived.

I would have thought that it had to end in tragedy in order to fully reflect the kind of society Tess lived in, but it sounds like you've done research on this and an alternative ending may well have been possible. Interesting.
    "I have never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude." - Henry David Thoreau

I expect that after the reprieve, Tess would tell Angel, visiting her in prison, "I won't ever come out of here. You must divorce me and find someone else."
    Angel would reply, "Are you sure? Well, all right, if you insist."
    Then Tess would be overcome with grief and hang herself in her prison cell.

Or

Tess finds herself pregnant again and bears another son, but can never be sure who the father is, Alec or Angel. Until one day coming back from church, the boy says, "Why does the church say Jesus arose from the dead on the third day when it was more like one and a half?" At which point Angel would clutch him to his chest and exclaim, "My son!".

Or one day Tess looks under her son's bed and find his collection of artistic photographs of Edwardian ladies, at which point Tess sinks her head in her hands and screams, "NOOOOO!""

I made two Alternative ending for Tess. Enjoy!

Alternative Ending 1

After Tess murdered Alec, Tess and Angel finally consummated their marriage.

Tess: O O O.....

Angel: What's the matter?

Tess: Oh, Angel, I didn't know your xxx is as small as my pinky... O O O.

Angel: Was it so bad?

Tess: Yes, Oh yes..you didn't even last more than a minute! You will never ever satisfy me!! You deceived me!

Angel: Oh, Tess, thats why I wanted to marry a VIRGIN!!

Tess: Oh, I was a silly woman, for marrying a man without having sex with him.....O O O.... Oh, what should I do now? I killed Alec, and I am going to be hanged for murder....
    Because of YOU!!!

She stubbed Angel to death and Tess faced gallows for double murder.

Justice was done.

Fin

Alternative Ending 2

After Tess killed Alec, Tess and Angel hid themselves in the old mansion to finally consummate their marriage.

They were cuddling in the bed, and suddenly Angel cried,

I'm sorry, I can't. I can't.

Tess: Why? We are finally together now? No more Alec! What's wrong now?

Angel: I can't make love with you, because....... you are a Woman!!

Tess: I don't understand.....

Angel: I.... I....I'm GAY!

Tess: Ah! You told me you have had sex with other woman before?

Angel: Yes, but.... I lied....she was actually...a Man!

Tess: Oh no! Oh no! Is that why you play harp?

Angel: ?

Tess: Is that why you didn't sleep with me on the wedding night?

Angel: .......

Tess: Oh Angel, why did you come back to me?

Angel: I really thought I could do this, because I love you so much, believe me, but I just realized now that I can't! I'll go back to Brazil and have a free life!

Tess: Oh Angel....What should I do now? I killed Alec.... I cannot go back to him anymore, I am going to be hanged for murder....Because of YOU!!!

She stubbed Angel to death and Tess faced Gallowes for double murder.

Justice was done.

Fin
    Last edited by Wayne Jr; 03-07-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Wow, I have no words for it...
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Seriously, Hardy presented Tess as the novel's tragic hero, in the Greek tragic hero mold. She had to die, victim to her fatal flaws. In the cases I know, tragic hero fatal flaws, like hubris, aren't endearing. Tess' fatal flaws are endearing: pride, unbounded acceptance of self-sacrifice, acceptance of mistaken social standards and total devotion to a flawed man. Without Tess' demise, the novel has little meaning. Likewise, in her demise she can't change her character that brought her to her demise.

More interesting than how this reader takes this twist, imagine yourself being invited to MaxGate for dinner with Tom and Emma. Over a nice meal you mention your idea suggesting that in a hundred years or so his novel will be still read by a society rapidly being abandoning past sexual taboos. Then stop and study Tom's face. My guess is that he'd get up, walk in measured steps to behind your chair, grasp the collar of your shirt, guide you to the door and heave you into the darkness. He might shout that if you want an ending like that then write your own novel.

A more realistic ending

Alec , seeing Tesse's pallor and disturbed state of mind immediately understands the reason.

Alec : "Is he back ?"

Tess : (In a subdued voice) : "Yes"

Alec finishes his meal slowly and tells Tess : "I know i am the person who ruined your life and i am really sorry for it. I have tried to make amends and i have tried to make you love me but i know now that it is impossible. At least let us part the best of friends and allow me to love you and love me as you would a friend. I have squandered many chances of improvement in my life , been a wastrel. But i can now tell you that though i have tried to enjoy life, devil take the hindmost, i have never meant to hurt, least of all you, Tess. Give me the chance to redeem myself by willingly allowing you to go to Angel"

Tess is first shocked and then hugs him with tears in her eyes "I am really sorry for having hurt you. You are a much, much better man than i have given you credit for. I can now say that if Angel was not there, i would have no problem in marrying you"

Alec : "Now go, before i change my mind"

Tess leaves.

Meanwhile , Alec who cannot bear the thought of life without Tess kills himself by shooting himself with a spare revolver.

Tess and Angel are reunited and attend Alec's funeral

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this scenario, Alec is dead but redeems himself and tess and angel leave happily ever after

Possibly, someone can make a movie by adapting the novel to show Alec in a much better light. Would be really interesting