Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you been published?

The 5&1/2 Minute Hallway The Truth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Have you been published?

I have not yet, but I believe a poem I wrote will appear in a youth poetry collection. Kind of cool but I just wish I could get my stuff out there and make a living writing.

Has anyone here been published? If so, could you tell me your journey on doing so and its rewards? And if you have not, how are you attempting to do so?

I've entered several contests and submitted my work to several literary magazines and all I can do is wait and see if anything happens. The waiting is sort of strenuous on me and I know I shouldn't let it be so but I can't really help it. I just really want to make a living doing what I love.
    “Why did god create a dual universe?
    So he might say
    ‘Be not like me. I am alone.'
    And it might be heard.”

― Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves

Blog Entries
    No. Apparently my writing sucks. lol. But I wish you the best of luck. Its a tough game. I find the hardest part is the waiting. Worse than the harsh rejection letter is the damn waiting.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I got a poem published in my university's yearly literature magazine. There was really no journey. I had written it quite a while ago and sent it in as an afterthought. I didn't even get one of the magazines.

This is the poem (I think one of the reasons it got in is because it's so short and therefore didn't need much space):

“Death and Oreos”

No good can I see in the world
    Death and despair
    Rape and murder
    Sickness and famine
    (Oreos on sale this week)
    Three soldiers killed in a car bomb
    Oreos sound good, come to think of it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    I got a poem published in my university's yearly literature magazine. There was really no journey. I had written it quite a while ago and sent it in as an afterthought. I didn't even get one of the magazines.

This is the poem (I think one of the reasons it got in is because it's so short and therefore didn't need much space):

“Death and Oreos”

Death and despair
    Rape and murder
    Sickness and famine
    I like that poem. I really like it. Mixing the tragic with the trivial really creates a strong impact. Detachment from suffering and disaster is what seems to me to be the theme. Or maybe you've plunged right into suffering and disaster and the oreos on sale is like you poking your head out of your black despair-filled burrow.

This is my own subjective viewpoint, but I think writing for living may decrease the quality of a written text. Right?

The 5&1/2 Minute Hallway The Truth's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In some cases it most certainly does but honestly I don't go into writing thinking, "I hope this makes the big bucks." It'd just be nice to get paid for what I put a ton of work into and not feel the pressure of having to find time to write when I have another job.
    “Why did god create a dual universe?
    So he might say
    ‘Be not like me. I am alone.'
    And it might be heard.”

― Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves

Blog Entries
    Writing for a living doesn't decrease the quality of writing. We like to think that writers write solely because it its their drive and they can do nothing else - and to an extent, this may be true. However, the truth is that writing takes an inordinate amount of time (both to perfect your craft and to perfect a work) that is not available to someone who is writing on the side while he or she works to support themselves.

It is hard, and many will tell you not to think about making a living as a writer, particularly if you are young. I don't know. I wanted to, for the longest time, make a living off writing - and still do to an extent - but at this point, have not had the good fortune.

I suppose the practical solution is to work your way in to the practical writing community (publishing houses, copy-writing, journalism) and try to publish from there.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Today everything is different thanks to the internet. Write an intriguing and emotional story and publish it in kindle format. Kindle ebooks are selling. Their price is low, but many people are making a lot of money by selling many kindle ebooks. This is a way to be recognized as an expert.

When you become famous somehow, many doors open for you.

I know you prefer to see your writings admired for their quality and you care more about recognition than about making money. However, if you’ll sell your kindle ebooks, you’ll be respected. You can also publish a regular book at Amazon and become known this way, but kindle ebooks are more attractive and successful.

If I had enough time this is what I would do, but right now I cannot care about my literary talent. I have the intention to it someday, though.
    Scientific Dream Interpretation = Sound Mental Health and Wisdom

“Death and Oreos”

Death and despair
    Rape and murder
    Sickness and famine
    Like.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Publishing has nothing to do with making a living out of it. Making money requires good marketting, which is a separate and unrelated task. Most of you misinterpret the market and think that if you write well, you'll get rewarded for it. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    Publishing has nothing to do with making a living out of it. Making money requires good marketting, which is a separate and unrelated task. Most of you misinterpret the market and think that if you write well, you'll get rewarded for it. Ridiculous.
    I agree that marketing is something else. Of course, you cannot expect to sell your work only because it is good. However, you can learn a few marketing techniques and promote your work online. If you are a good writer, of course your writing will attract many readers.

For example, most marketers rewrite already written content and sell their poor-written kindle ebooks because there is an audience online looking for romances in kindle format. If they can sell their ebooks of poor quality, don’t you think that a good writer has the chance to sell even more?

It’s not so hard to learn how to be an internet marketer. However, it’s not a simple matter to learn how to be a good writer.
    Scientific Dream Interpretation = Sound Mental Health and Wisdom

Blog Entries
    I think many well-known writers started with a real job and a hobby of writing. I say hobby because they didn't publish anything until someone (relative or a friend) suggested so. I'm a good example myself I work in translation services and write just to pass time because writing is something I really enjoy.

I don't know if it counts, but I got one story published in a weekly mag. It was a murder case. I received some feedback (believe it or not) from some readers after publishing the last part. I don't think it's that hard to get anything published in a magazine, though. Still, it's thrilling all the same.
    When life gets hard... Laugh!

For my sins. But it doesn't pay the bills.

Mostly I submit stuff cos it would be weird to just hoard it.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries

“Death and Oreos”

Death and despair
    Rape and murder
    Sickness and famine
    I really like that Mutatis. It's damn good. It's got a bit of Bukowski in it. Love it!

Blog Entries
    I have given up on ever being published. I've sent several hundred emails over the years to writers and publishers but I am very incompetent when it comes to professionalism and so they always react negatively. I tried to self-publish but it was too stressful. I have reams and reams of material which people read and give rave reviews but I have given up on ever being published. I am just going to do what I always do - write stuff here and let the fine people who frequent this site read what I write. I don't care about money. All I care about is self-expression and reaching people.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast