Thread: HAROLD BLOOM and ME

Blog Entries

HAROLD BLOOM and ME

Harold Bloom(1930- ) published 25 books before this one,(1) and some of the books are almost as long as this 800 page tome. His terrific fluency, along with the unrivalled scope of his interests are among the reasons why he is probably the most celebrated literary critic in the United States even at the age of 82.

Bloom is an American literary critic and is still Sterling Professor of Humanities at Yale University at the age of 82. Since the publication of his first book in 1959, Bloom has written more than 20 books of literary criticism, several books discussing religion, and one novel. He has edited more than 600 hundred anthologies.-Ron Price with thanks to (1)Frank Kermode, Hip Gnosis, A review of Genius: A Mosaic of One Hundred Exemplary Creative Minds by Harold Bloom, The Guardian, 12 October 2002.

You published your first book
    and got married when I was in
    the midget baseball and hockey
    leagues in a small town by a big
    lake in Ontario, going through a
    9th and 10th grade school system
    & curriculum, & into the newest
    of the Abrahamic religions when(1)
    everyone I knew was Catholic, Jew
    or Protestant or nothing. They were
    mostly nothing-at-all and there they
    remained until the end of their days
    due to the anathema of commitment
    in anything except sport, fun, family,
    jobs, friends, vast secular humanism.2

1 I joined the Baha’i Faith in 1959, the same year Bloom published his first book.
    2 Bloom developed theories of poetic influence, marked by the publication of The Anxiety of Influence (1973) which he started writing in my first year as a professional teacher: 1967. These theories dominated his writing for a decade until the 1980s.

He began to focus on what he called "religious criticism" in the 1980s in books such as The Book of J (1990) and The American Religion (1992). He says he is a gnostic Jew and a product of Yiddish culture. He also says that he can't understand a Yahweh, or a God, who could be all-powerful and all-knowing and still allow the Nazi death camps and schizophrenia.

Ron Price 25 June 2012
    Last edited by Ron Price; 06-25-2012 at 02:48 AM. Reason: to add some words
    Ron Price is a Canadian who has been living in Australia for 42 years(in 2013). He is married to a Tasmanian and has been for 37 years after 8 years in a first marriage. At the age of 69 he now spends most of his time as an author and writer, poet and publisher. editor and researcher, online blogger, essayist, journalist and engaging in independent scholarship. He has been associated with the Baha'i Faith for 60 years and a member for 53 years.cool: