Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Fitness Thread

The Fitness Thread

Hi! Let's share fitness goals!

Right now this reader has a short term goal and a long term goal. The short time is lose bodyfat. This reader is 17 percent body fat right now and his target is approx 13 percent body fat. Hopefully this will occur between the next 1-2 months. Yay.

The long term goal is to add 10lbs lean body mass. This will be done based on a calculated caloric intake of 3,000kcals per day with much protein and fat and low glycemic index carbs like broccoli and lentils. Also compound lifts for resistance training. This reader isn't confident in his ability to gain mass though. Losing body fat has been ridiculously easy though.

What are your goals?

J
    Last edited by Jack of Hearts; 06-10-2012 at 12:59 AM.

I have recently taken on a vegan lifestyle with some vegetarian concessions. This can be an incredibly healthy lifestyle if you're in the know about nutrition.

Lately I have been more interested in doing cardiovascular activities, such as jump rope, but have begun doing high intensity interval training again because I have noticed some great results in the past with this.

I know I should continue with strength-training, but I'm starting to lose interest. I find that I need to change up my routines and type of fitness training, or I get bored, because it doesn't feel as challenging mentally. It's not so much that it's not 'fun', it's just that I can't stick to a routine that is structured. Strength training is incredibly structured.

I wilt within structures, and I have accepted that this is just the way I am. I need to continue to mold different systems, always throwing out something new and different, to keep the challenge there, and the novelty. I lost interest in jogging after a couple of weeks, so started jump rope, and may switch, for example.

This week has been a lazy week for me though! Hopefully I can get back on track.

My ultimate goal is to be as fit and healthy as possible. I'm at a healthy weight, but I know I can be healthier. I have a particular problem with food. Even though I eat 97 % healthy, I have a tendency to overeat healthy food. This isn't as difficult as it sounds.
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. ~Oscar Wilde.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    My goals at my age is to make it through the night Jack!

Bonafide...Savage. Neo_Sephiroth's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My goal is to wake up and motivate myself to workout at least an hour in the morning. If not morning than in the eve'n. It will be mostly cardio for now and then I'll get into the sculpting.
    "The Lord work from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people and then they take themselves out of the slums. Christ changes men, who then changes their enviroment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature."

~Ezra Taft Benson

Jack, you’re an animal… an ANIMAL.

I’m shooting for a sub-six hour century in the North Georgia Mountains this September – 6 Gap Century in Dahlonega. (it’s a bike ride)

Probably try for a sub-four hour marathon after that. Maybe California International in December (it’s downhill), maybe Austin in February (good music), maybe Avenue of the Giants in May (big trees). I’ll see how the bones are holding up.

I may try to get my sorry butt to the top of Mount Rainier this summer. Donno. I’ll see.
    Some people call me Maurice
    'Cos I speak of the pompatus of love

Quote Originally Posted by BookBeauty
    I have recently taken on a vegan lifestyle with some vegetarian concessions. This can be an incredibly healthy lifestyle if you're in the know about nutrition.

Lately I have been more interested in doing cardiovascular activities, such as jump rope, but have begun doing high intensity interval training again because I have noticed some great results in the past with this.

I know I should continue with strength-training, but I'm starting to lose interest. I find that I need to change up my routines and type of fitness training, or I get bored, because it doesn't feel as challenging mentally. It's not so much that it's not 'fun', it's just that I can't stick to a routine that is structured. Strength training is incredibly structured.

I wilt within structures, and I have accepted that this is just the way I am. I need to continue to mold different systems, always throwing out something new and different, to keep the challenge there, and the novelty. I lost interest in jogging after a couple of weeks, so started jump rope, and may switch, for example.

This week has been a lazy week for me though! Hopefully I can get back on track.

My ultimate goal is to be as fit and healthy as possible. I'm at a healthy weight, but I know I can be healthier. I have a particular problem with food. Even though I eat 97 % healthy, I have a tendency to overeat healthy food. This isn't as difficult as it sounds.
    That’s a great goal. It sounds like you’re doing really great. This reader vehemently dislkikes veganism though (as a perosnal choice). He would never give up meat. Or cheese. Or eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by MANICHEAN
    My goals at my age is to make it through the night Jack!
    That’s a great goal, you golden oldie, and slightly similiar to one of this readers’: make it through the night with as many beautiful women as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_Sephiroth
    My goal is to wake up and motivate myself to workout at least an hour in the morning. If not morning than in the eve'n. It will be mostly cardio for now and then I'll get into the sculpting.
    Is this the same for you? when you workout in the morning do you feel great for the rest of the day as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho
    Jack, you’re an animal… an ANIMAL.

I’m shooting for a sub-six hour century in the North Georgia Mountains this September – 6 Gap Century in Dahlonega. (it’s a bike ride)

Probably try for a sub-four hour marathon after that. Maybe California International in December (it’s downhill), maybe Austin in February (good music), maybe Avenue of the Giants in May (big trees). I’ll see how the bones are holding up.

I may try to get my sorry butt to the top of Mount Rainier this summer. Donno. I’ll see.
    You are one active hombre. That’s awesome and enviable. You seem like you got a kickass lifestyle there, the Sanch, with yer Lousiana blues and your jetsettin’ and all that we’ve seen you mention.

Thanks for the encouragement. Long ways from animal yet (6’4”, 178lbs currently).

J

Bonafide...Savage. Neo_Sephiroth's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    6'4?! Good grief! That's huge! Anyway, yep I do always feel great afterward. That is, if I don't overdo it.
    "The Lord work from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people and then they take themselves out of the slums. Christ changes men, who then changes their enviroment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature."

~Ezra Taft Benson

Blog Entries
    My goal is to get my BE hunter up to lvl 85. It'll be a challenge, a lot of hard work and diligence, but I think I'm up to it.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

I do a lot of swimming, in a morning before work I do 2.5 K, my goal is to get my time back below 55 minutes. I used to be able to do it in just under 55, but it has gone up to around 58 at the moment.

I planning on no alcohol, lots of coffee & water, warming up before starting (I found on Friday after walking to my sisters house to let her cat out before going that I swam more quickly) and a bit of extra protein.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Sancho is the animal, on any given Sunday you might find him running with Bison in Oklahoma, making his way up Mt. Rainier followed with a margharita on 6th Street in Austin.

Running has been my primary mode of exercise. Lately, my rotuine has been Saturday morning, Sunday evening and Wednesday evening. Depending on temperature and how much ale was consumed the previous night, I aim for 4 miles each run. Sometimes I will opt for a brisk hike in lieu of a run, particularly in fall and winter.
    I couldn't tell you what my bodyfat percent is or even my weight at this point, I'm just trying to keep the spare tire from pushing me into the next size up in my britches.
    Last edited by Gilliatt Gurgle; 06-10-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: .
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

20-some years ago, in my very early twenties, I joined a health club to try to gain weight (6'3" and 155). A year of weights and protein drinks later, I'd gained a whopping five pounds, and as my discouragement grew, my working out became more sporadic and then ended altogether.

Time passed, and I turned 30, then 40, and now I'm about 230 pounds and need to get back to the gym. But, being middle-aged and without insurance, I need to make sure I do it safely and gradually. The hard part, as with most people I'm sure, is motivating myself to actually do it.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

6’3”, 6’4”! What’re they feeding you guys? I’m a little guy by comparison, and yet I’m a giant within the Sancho clan. You see, I come from short people. When I was growing up, they thought I was freak of nature. The whole family started getting excited thinking I was going to be the first of us to top six foot, but then I came up an inch short (story of my life): 5’11” 165lbs, and not of particularly athletic build. Here’s my simple-minded fitness theory:

Keep moving. And when in doubt, pretend like you know what you’re doing.

It works okay for me. If I have to stay in one place for too long, I get cranky, like a baby.
    Some people call me Maurice
    'Cos I speak of the pompatus of love

Blog Entries
    I've got to the ideal weight for my size. I'm 5'11", now 79kg, but at one point I got up to 86 kg, and was really unfit. I lost the weight in the last few months through daily Shaolin forms training (well, daily when I could), prefaced by a little run. I find the shaolin forms a really good workout.
    The next plan is to build up my flexibility so I can drop down quickly into low stances, and to work on my speed and balance doing the forms I am learning. I figure in a few months I'll have some time to do some Sanshou (kung fu sparring) which will increase my reflexes and timing against a real opponent, although of course there are a number of techniques that I am learning which I can't really apply in sparring, due to my own limited time training in them, and due to the fact that some of the techniques are not designed for sparring with gloves.

Blog Entries
    I don't consciously work out, but I stay healthy by just doing what I do. In the winter, it's walking to school through three feet of snow or building snowmen or walking up sled hills. In summer, I wander around through the woods fairly often (it's really hilly obviously, being mountains and all), and I like to play tennis. And stuff.

It's been raining all week, so yesterday on my way home from work I noticed that there were a lot of earthworms drowning in puddles or crawling out on the road and getting run over. "Poor worms," thought I, so I spent a couple hours playing worm rescue. I put 109 of them in my lunch tupperware, then I brought them to my mom's garden because it's covered and the soil isn't mud (worms don't like mud). Now my legs are really sore, so I can tell I "exercised."

You know, stuff like that.
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 06-11-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    My goal is to trim some fat as well... I am pretty fit right now, but I would like to lose about 8-10 lbs more (or about 4kg). Also, I am striving to get to the gym about 5 times a week. Last week I made it 4 times, and the week before 5... so around that range is good. But I am generally also active on the weekends. I like to go hiking, ride my bicycle, roller blade, etc. And now that the weather is finally nice, I can actually do this more... and will not then need to go to an indoor gym as often.

I commend your goals, Jack! Good luck. Living healthy has to be a lifestyle choice, and that's what I am striving for more, rather than some kind of diet plan and workout regime that I can stick to for a month or two and then generally abandon...
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast