Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: Are you a vegetarian?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I'm hardcore. I refuse to eat anything that comes from any animal in any way.

3 8.33%
  • Yes, but I'll still eat dairy.

10 27.78%
  • Sort of--I won't eat beef or pork, but fish or fowl is okay.

2 5.56%
  • No, but I could do without red meat if I had to.

11 30.56%
  • No. I love meat. Veal rules.

10 27.78%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Are You a Vegetarian?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Varenne Rodin View Post
    Fertilized or not, eggs contain goo from some kind of female body. If someone told me they were going to scramble human ambiotic fluid in a pan and try to feed it to me, I would have the same reaction.
    Yes, and honey is bee vomit!

And alcohol is yeast pee...
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Blog Entries
    True true, and plants contain corpse particles.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Lol, I'm not squeamish in any way. I love learning this stuff. I'd talk about it over dinner, if only people wouldn't get fussy about eating and having interesting discussions. :P

My main reason for going vegan was for health, then animals and the environment.

It's a bit too easy to get obsessed though, and there really has to be a line drawn. Some people are puritans that throw paint on people and try to 'protect' pets from their owners. By attacking them in airports. I think that's missing the entire point.

The point is to inform people, if they want to learn, and let them make a choice based on the information. I'm an information junkie though, so it's hard for me to imagine why anyone wouldn't want to know about everything.

I'm not a preacher, and never will be. I don't really care enough to do so. I know what I like for me, and what I've decided is healthy isn't going to be the same for other people. I've got a vision of a healthy, sustainable future. Animal protein could be involved... Sure. They're already scientifically growing steaks in jars. :P
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. ~Oscar Wilde.

Blog Entries
    just look at Star Trek, they eat food from replicators and it has all the nutrients and protein you need in whatever form and taste you want. You could eat steak every day and still be vegan up there.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Woe is me etc
    "Yeah I'm a vegetarian. Well I'm not hardcore, you know, well, I eat a lot of meat".

Whoever can tell me (without Google) who said that, gets a shiny English pound.

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post
    "Yeah I'm a vegetarian. Well I'm not hardcore, you know, well, I eat a lot of meat".

I'd love it to be Morrissey.

Woe is me etc
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    I'd love it to be Morrissey.
    It's not, but a very good guess....

www.markbastable.co.uk
    McCartney?

Blog Entries
    I'm all for eggs too. Though I rarely cook with them. Not everyone is the same, though. Different people have different physical needs. And I'm sad now 'cause I dunno where I was going with this.

Ooops, I almost forgot.

HAHHAHAHAHA haaaaa HAHAHHAHA aahhh, haha.
    "We are animals with problems that no other animal has." - Radam J. Starkiller

Blog Entries
    Maybe you wanted to go here but landed in this thread instead.
    Charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.

Be the change you wish to see

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    True true, and plants contain corpse particles.
    Very true. There are measures such as allowed insect parts per amount of rice, pulses etc. I read somewhere that they reckon a veggie eats about a pound of insect parts per year. Well - got to get the protein from somewhere.
    I suppose it'll just be like meat eaters consuming parasites in meat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post

John Cleese?
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    Very true. There are measures such as allowed insect parts per amount of rice, pulses etc. I read somewhere that they reckon a veggie eats about a pound of insect parts per year. Well - got to get the protein from somewhere.
    I suppose it'll just be like meat eaters consuming parasites in meat.
    Yeah, and the soil that plants grow in doesn't just stay soil - it's black because of carbon, most of which comes from decomposed carbon-based life forms. Soil is made of decomposed plants, animals, bugs, &c. (and waste too, of course), that's where the nutrients in nutrient-rich soil comes from, and little pieces of former-corpse aka. soil gets absorbed into the plant. With all of the things that have lived and died over the last 600 million years, everything you eat has, at one point, been a molecule making up a dead animal, and even dead humans. We too turn into dirt and plant/insect faeces (also dirt) when we die. I bet we eat stuff that used to be a part of other humans fairly often, there have been a lot of humans. That's why I don't like picking mushrooms or raspberries from anywhere near graveyards.
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 06-11-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Yeah, and the soil that plants grow in doesn't just stay soil - it's black because of carbon, most of which comes from decomposed carbon-based life forms. Soil is made of decomposed plants, animals, bugs, &c. (and waste too, of course), that's where the nutrients in nutrient-rich soil comes from, and little pieces of former-corpse aka. soil gets absorbed into the plant. With all of the things that have lived and died over the last 600 million years, everything you eat has, at one point, been a molecule making up a dead animal, and even dead humans. We too turn into dirt and plant/insect faeces (also dirt) when we die. I bet we eat stuff that used to be a part of other humans fairly often, there have been a lot of humans. That's why I don't like picking mushrooms or raspberries from anywhere near graveyards.
    Whoa, it's like the Lion King all over again.

You know, when Mufasa is teaching Simba about the circle of life.

''You see Simba, when we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass.. And so, we are all connected, in the great. circle. of life.''
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. ~Oscar Wilde.

Blog Entries
    Aye - life is an imperfect panorama. Interestingly, I was reading Bill Bryson on about houses, and he was talking to a historian who lived in his village. Bill commented on how the church seemed to have sunk, but the historian corrected him ad said it was the effect of a thousand years of bodies in the graveyard plumpng up the soil. Fascinating stuff.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast