Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: Are you a vegetarian?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I'm hardcore. I refuse to eat anything that comes from any animal in any way.

3 8.33%
  • Yes, but I'll still eat dairy.

10 27.78%
  • Sort of--I won't eat beef or pork, but fish or fowl is okay.

2 5.56%
  • No, but I could do without red meat if I had to.

11 30.56%
  • No. I love meat. Veal rules.

10 27.78%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Are You a Vegetarian?

Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    I had a similar thought when I first became a vegetarian but there is no male with the hens, so there is no chance of life. They lay eggs everyday with no male around so I don't see that as a problem.
    Yup, super market eggs are unfertilized. So, not a fetus...just an egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolte View Post
    Vegetarian yes, vegan no.

I would go vegan, but, I like cheese.

I would eat human cheese too, why not? It makes more sense.
    I'm vegan. I make my own cheese out of cashew nuts, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and some spices. It's better, and healthier, in my opinion, and all you need is a blender.

I'd hasten to add that I surprised myself by enjoying vegan mac n' cheese more than dairy. :P
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. ~Oscar Wilde.

Blog Entries
    I'm not a vegetarian. I really like seafood and I eat chicken at least a few times a week... but I'm not a big meat-eater/lover. I could probably do without meat... or at least be pescatarian or something. But I could never do without dairy or vegetables.
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BookBeauty View Post
    I'm vegan. I make my own cheese out of cashew nuts, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and some spices. It's better, and healthier, in my opinion, and all you need is a blender.
    :P
    you've gotta give me that recipe!!!
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As to Luke's picture, and as an avowed meat lover, that's a bit bloody for my taste. I like y steaks medium--pink in the middle, not bloody.

That's not steak... that's prime rib... medium-rare. As my wife says, it's gotta still be "mooing"!
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't feel I've had a proper meal unless something has died. On the rare occasion that I eat a meal with no meat in it at all, I rather think that something should be killed anyway, just to stop them getting complacent.

Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

I think I've been a vegetarian for seven years now. I'm quite vocal about it too. The biggest gripe I have is people who eat meat every day. Some people even eat meat with every meal. It is totally irresponsible consumerism. But it's like talking to a break wall: otherwise intelligent people seem to cling to their steaks as if it were a child.
    'Anger's my meat; I sup upon myself,
    And so shall starve with feeding.'
    Volumnia in Coriolanus

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Babyguile View Post
    I think I've been a vegetarian for seven years now. I'm quite vocal about it too.
    So you're one of those annoying, soap-box standing, finger waving, ivory tower occupying people who like to lecture those who eat what their bodies were designed to consume? I'm soooooo surprised.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Babyguile View Post
    I think I've been a vegetarian for seven years now. I'm quite vocal about it too. The biggest gripe I have is people who eat meat every day. Some people even eat meat with every meal. It is totally irresponsible consumerism. But it's like talking to a break wall: otherwise intelligent people seem to cling to their steaks as if it were a child.
    I'm a veggie too, but I've found it best not to make an issue of it. There's no point, and there never was. If someone chooses to eat meat, that's their choice, and says nothing about their motivations which might be, for taste, cultural, part of a perceived culture, tradition, lack of an alternative - (Tibet), religious, health, or for their livelihood. Lots of those are very powerful motivators that are not going to change in an internet argument, or in a face to face argument.

The best policy is tolerance. There are plenty of good reasons to be a veggie - including health, and a simplistic morality, (I say simplistic because as a personal choice its fine, but as soon as you contemplate a societywide imposition, then the welfare of animals becomes an issue as there's no need to invest any care into them by the owners).

No-one ever turned an argument like this by soap boxing, but a better policy is cool argument, toleration and example. The onus is on veggies, as some of the typical reactions are to assert carnivorousness, (like posting pictures of meat and saying what they had for lunch). They are basically saying there's no argument, and they are right in a sense, because assertions about vegetarianism challenge a personal habit which is not going to change without a sea change of attitudes about culture, religion, health etc etc in people. What I'm saying is vegetarianism is about something other than what we eat.

Anyway, there are always Veggie groups to promote vegetarian issues at a more global level.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Paul, vegetarianism is a lot more than what we put in our mouth, it's a way of life and it is to a certain degree what we believe in. I was once very vocal about it or tried to get it into conversations somehow but people believe what they want to and I don't think I can change someones mind.

I don'r have meat in the house but my son eats it at school and at his dads house, I hope he will make the decision I made when he grows older but if he doesn't that's his business. I don't teach him about a certain religion either.

I don't want people to lecture me on what they think is right and wrong so I don't do it to them.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Quote Originally Posted by BookBeauty View Post

I'd hasten to add that I surprised myself by enjoying vegan mac n' cheese more than dairy. :P
    You should post the full recipe. I'd love to try it.
    I like poetry,long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

Me too.

I’m somewhat of a reluctant vegetarian. 12 years ago I went into anaphylactic shock about six hours after eating a big ole prime rib. I had hives head to toe, couldn’t breathe, had hot-and-cold sweats. My hair hurt. Turns out it was a result of a tick bite (I’m a hiker). They call it Alpha-Galactose reaction. My body attacks the sugars in red meat as if it were an invasive virus. There’s no cure.

Who cares, I say. Life is better without eating the carcass of something that used to have a face.
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    Fertilized or not, eggs contain goo from some kind of female body. If someone told me they were going to scramble human ambiotic fluid in a pan and try to feed it to me, I would have the same reaction.

Yuk. Go ahead and scratch off Country Scramble from my list.
    Uhhhh...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Eggs are good. I like them very much.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast