Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: getting up in the morning

I almost cry when I think of the horror. I am quite the night owl. When I have no obligations I sleep very very late.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if sleep affects the length of life? I'm thinking about the lifespan limits of animals that have been tested/ measured etc so that they used to think that a mouse or a fly would have so many heartbeats in its life and then expire. I read somethng to that effect somewhere, some time ago. I wonder if it's true for humans?

For example, my wife always goes to bed earlier than me, and consequently sleeps a little longer. Her heart rate will have slowed during sleep, whilst mine will have been raised during debates on litnet. I wonder if that will mean she will live longer?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    I wonder if sleep affects the length of life? I'm thinking about the lifespan limits of animals that have been tested/ measured etc so that they used to think that a mouse or a fly would have so many heartbeats in its life and then expire. I read somethng to that effect somewhere, some time ago. I wonder if it's true for humans?

For example, my wife always goes to bed earlier than me, and consequently sleeps a little longer. Her heart rate will have slowed during sleep, whilst mine will have been raised during debates on litnet. I wonder if that will mean she will live longer?
    sleep long and prosper
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

I hate waking up. It never seems to be easy for me, no matter whether I've slept 4 hours or 14 or anything in between. Staying awake at night is easy, though. If I have to wake up early, it's a struggle keeping my eyes open for the first few hours (at least till noon), but after that it gets easier and I can stay up easily way past midnight. Of course, if I've been sleeping only 4-6 hours a night for several nights, staying up will be much harder. When I'm sleep-deprived enough, I may go to bed at 7pm and sleep 17 hours in a row, if I don't have to wake up earlier. Otherwise I rarely go to bed early.

When I was younger, I used to get up early. During elementary school I woke up half an hour earlier than I had to on purpose so that I could read for 30 minutes before I had to get up. Now I just can't do that...

I've been tired almost constantly for a couple of years now. Then I realised I've been taking antihistamines constantly for the past couple of years. I think there's a connection there... when I have to take double the amount in the spring during the worst pollen season, I need to sleep like half of the day in order to be functional.

I can't give up my antihistamins, though. I had to live without them for a week before allergy tests last autumn, and that week was hell. I was itching everywhere all the time.
    Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing. Her hair was golden as the sun's rays and her soul as clear and blue as her eyes.
    Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

Blog Entries
    Due to my working times starting at 6:00 am, I get up at 4:00 – 4:30. But I like to watch the sun rising and sometimes on weekends, I get up even earlier.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
    To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits
    in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.”

Helen Keller

Blog Entries
    Aww, I think I'm the only litnetter who works nights. I'm always here same time as the litnetters in Europe.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

i used to wake up at 7am in the morning work or no work ... Now i just cant have to sleep back again ...dunno it also depends if ive been working my a** off then night b4.
    Smile to the world and world Smiles Back!

Woe is me etc
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    I was awake for about 72 hours
    You are aware being awake so long can kill you?

I'm either up at 4am fresh as a daisy, or I'm struggling to get out of bed at 11 and feel like hell. Some consistency would be nice, previously the former.

Blog Entries
    for some reason I wake up at 6 every morning now and force myself to try and sleep more but it never works cause I have to get up at seven. But this morning I didn't have work and my son was with his dad so I got up now at nine, and that was just because my dog found out I wasn't really asleep.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    People always tell me that I'll get used to waking up early for work, but I tell you all now that I will NEVER be used to waking up early, and in fact, I will always hate it, and always want to throw my phone against the wall when the alarm rings. Unfortunately, my body has seemed to get used to it, as I cannot sleep in on weekends anymore, and wake up around the same time as I do on week days, regardless of when I go to sleep. But I always feel like I could sleep a few more hours on week days... And I don't even get up that early by most people's standards (I rise at 8 am).

I don't know... I definitely think some people need more sleep than others. I can't function well with less than 8 hours of sleep. And I have this BBC article to back up my hunch:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15999489

Genes matter!

''Experts, who studied more than 10,000 people across Europe, found those with the gene ABCC9 need around 30 minutes more sleep per night than those without the gene.''
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post
    You are aware being awake so long can kill you?
    Being awake for three days can't kill you. Anyway, from lack of sleep you'll go blind and deaf before you're anywhere close to dying. Trust me, if I go blind and deaf, I'll notice and make some swift changes in my immediate behaviour.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123