Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which book have you read the fastest?

which book have you read the fastest?

and why?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    I would have to say The Road by Cormac McCarthy. My sister was down visiting over the weakened and she had just finished reading the book and brought it to lend to me, and it just so happened that the movie was going to be released on the next Friday, so since I had the book I wanted to have it read before seeing the movie, so I got that book read within a week.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Well, I read The Bell Jar in one day not too long ago. I think I read 1984 in a day, too.

During one particularly productive period, I managed to read The Stranger and Notes from Underground on the same day.

I think the one I'm proudest of, though, is Gaddis' The Recognitions clocking in at 950 pages, which I read in exactly two weeks (Down to the hour, oddly).

Registered User Sir Lord Oliver's Avatar
    I read In Search of Lost Time in a day when I was hospitalized.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lord Oliver View Post
    I read In Search of Lost Time in a day when I was hospitalized.
    Now that is impressive. Even if I had all day, with nothing else to do, I do not know if I would be able to pull that off.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Really... doesn't a lot of this come down to the length of the book. There's certainly any number of shorter books that I've read in a single sitting.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    Really... doesn't a lot of this come down to the length of the book. There's certainly any number of shorter books that I've read in a single sitting.
    Exactly...

I'm only able to read "fast" for two reasons: it's a short work, or I can no longer stand the writing, characters, or storyline so I skim my way through just to be done with it.

Do you mean, "Which books could you not put down? Why? For how long?"
    Last edited by hawthorns; 05-28-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hawthorns View Post
    Exactly...
    yes, there's a million of them, but I have to be boring and admit to the classics: Jane Eyre, To Kill A Mockingbird, and Huckleberry Finn. still the books I read the fastest!
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

Quote Originally Posted by hawthorns View Post
    Exactly...

I'm only able to read "fast" for two reasons: it's a short work, or I can no longer stand the writing, characters, or storyline so I skim my way through just to be done with it.

That could be a perfectly way of addressing it yes.
    I agree that reading fast can be due to boredom, but I tend to skim rather then read fast or I skim,skip to get it done and over with.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    Catcher in the Rye, fourteen hours. I had a date the next day with a guy, and I heard it was his favorite book through the grape vine. "No ****, that's your favorite book? Mine too!!! Didn't you just love that one part..."
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    Catcher in the Rye, fourteen hours. I had a date the next day with a guy, and I heard it was his favorite book through the grape vine. "No ****, that's your favorite book? Mine too!!! Didn't you just love that one part..."
    Haha..this is great it reminded me of Sense and Sensibility, Marianne and Willoughby showing off their similar reading interest over a Shakespear's sonnet 116.
    Last edited by cacian; 05-28-2012 at 04:38 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    It does depend on the book of course, I read 'the story of the eye' in about an hour or 70 minuets but it's only100 pages and big letters so in a sense it did take me a long time. But I read 'American Gods' in a week and 'Ilium' in a week but that was because I had to read them for school and only had a week to read them.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Knight's Aide
    Blog Entries
    I was able to polish off the entire K-Pax trilogy in an afternoon of solid reading. Each book is only about 150 or so pages long, but it certainly fulfills the unputdownable category.

Shame about the film though.
    "Mere flim-flam stories, and nothing but shams and lies." - Sancho Panza, in Don Quixote, pt. 1, bk. 3, ch. 11 (1605)

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza View Post
    I was able to polish off the entire K-Pax trilogy in an afternoon of solid reading. Each book is only about 150 or so pages long, but it certainly fulfills the unputdownable category.
    That is impressive I could not do it if I tried.

Shame about the film though.
    why? did you not take to the film?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by Desolation View Post
    During one particularly productive period, I managed to read The Stranger and Notes from Underground on the same day.
    How is that humanly possible?!? I guess it depends on reading habbits. I only read at night and sometimes first thing in the morning so my quickest will be no shorter than a week.

I can't read more than fifty pages in one siting before everything loses clarity and my mind (and body) get restless and wants to do other things.
    Last edited by Babyguile; 05-28-2012 at 07:11 AM.
    'Anger's my meat; I sup upon myself,
    And so shall starve with feeding.'
    Volumnia in Coriolanus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast