Thread: literology or list of literary concepts/words

Exclamation literology or list of literary concepts/words

You do not understand and needs clarifying.
    It could be anyhting from a word, expression, book or painting anything related to literature!!

my first word is:

''MEME''in English I still do not know what it means, I have looked it up and read it a thousands time I still do not get it.
    I think my hitch is that I understood/tand it first in French, which means'' the same'' and so having to catch it again in English has not been possible.

what about you?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Knight's Aide
    Blog Entries
    My understanding of the word "meme" is basically the way people, whether knowingly or not, copy behaviour of other people around them, a form of adapting to one's environment as found in evolution. There is also a more modern definition that applies to media that is exchanged between internet users, with viral videos being the obvious example.
    "Mere flim-flam stories, and nothing but shams and lies." - Sancho Panza, in Don Quixote, pt. 1, bk. 3, ch. 11 (1605)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just put "meme" into a Google Images search (American Google that is), and you'll get it. It's the best way to understand.

As for me, no matter how many times someone explains it to me, I don't get the difference between anthropomorphism and personification. They seem like the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    As for me, no matter how many times someone explains it to me, I don't get the difference between anthropomorphism and personification. They seem like the exact same thing.
    The way I understand it is that anthropomorphism is more active (Disney animals talking and behaving in humanlike fashion) while personification is more descriptive ("The storm clouds hovered mischievously over the city, awaiting the most inconvenient time to strike.").
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    The way I understand it is that anthropomorphism is more active (Disney animals talking and behaving in humanlike fashion) while personification is more descriptive ("The storm clouds hovered mischievously over the city, awaiting the most inconvenient time to strike.").
    Well, that's definitely the clearest and most helpful explanation I've ever heard/read. I actually get it! The difference makes sense. Thanks, Calidore.

Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    Does anthropomorphism only apply to animal description and nothing else right or does that apply other group of subjects such as plants and humans?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza View Post
    My understanding of the word "meme" is basically the way people, whether knowingly or not, copy behaviour of other people around them, a form of adapting to one's environment as found in evolution. There is also a more modern definition that applies to media that is exchanged between internet users, with viral videos being the obvious example.
    Thank you Sancho, so basically it is a type of mimicing only behavioural.
    Last edited by cacian; 05-23-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Anadeplosis, epanalepsis. Lets play with some real words, not these simple ideas like Meme or anthropomorphism that they teach you in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    Does anthropomorphism only apply to animal description and nothing else right or does that apply other group of subjects such as plants and humans?
    I think it might apply to plants but it doesn't apply to humans.

I think memes are cultural ideas that are spread like a virus. Richard Dawkins uses the word to talk about religion, I think.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    Anadeplosis, epanalepsis. Lets play with some real words, not these simple ideas like Meme or anthropomorphism that they teach you in high school.
    If by real words you mean vague words used to further obscure concepts and ideas, rather than elucidate, created by superfluous people who create them to create an insular and overly technical atmosphere whereby all who are not versed in the superfluities feel excluded and thus the people who created such overtly useless and technical language secure a place of privilege not because of intelligence or usefulness but simply by making what they do so abstract and detached that they are the only ones who can do it - yea sure.

In Wordsworth's prelude, book 5 and 6 he talks about his cambridge days. He says he spent his entire time missing lectures and reading things of his own choice rather than what he needed to do for lectures, and in general he ends up flunking out of university for this very reason. Many 19th and 20th century writers were exactly the same. And I totally understand why, literary education has become entirely devoid of literature.

I literature is like passing an hour with the girl you are in love with, and in university they turn it into dissecting her corpse on a steel table and looking at all the organs and taking them out, and then they take out the heart and tell you it is not important whether you love her or not, it is far more important to know the size of her arteries and veins. Because love is bull****, and it is all about anatomy.

And I speak as a second year oxford man. Who is meant to be receiving the finest education in the world...

P.S I went totally off-topic there, but I needed to get that little mind fart out into the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    I believe it applies to anything non-human--plants, animals, cars, toys, etc.--acting humanlike.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Here is another quote I picked up, please free to elucidate or comment.

'the spectrum sings'
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    Then play with them, smart guy. Maybe you can throw in some Chinese script, too--you gotta stay above us mere mortals, after all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander III View Post
    If by real words you mean vague words used to further obscure concepts and ideas, rather than elucidate, created by superfluous people who create them to create an insular and overly technical atmosphere whereby all who are not versed in the superfluities feel excluded and thus the people who created such overtly useless and technical language secure a place of privilege not because of intelligence or usefulness but simply by making what they do so abstract and detached that they are the only ones who can do it - yea sure.
    Alex, you just made up for every post you've made that's rankled me. That was awesome.

Knight's Aide
    Blog Entries
    Isn't there a game on the general chat forum that uses anadeplosis? (ie using the last word of one sentence as the first of the next) If not then maybe there should be.
    "Mere flim-flam stories, and nothing but shams and lies." - Sancho Panza, in Don Quixote, pt. 1, bk. 3, ch. 11 (1605)

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza View Post
    Isn't there a game on the general chat forum that uses anadeplosis? (ie using the last word of one sentence as the first of the next) If not then maybe there should be.
    Be that as it may, I also get confused with literary terms :P