Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: how woud you call someone?

  1. #1
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,564

    how woud you call someone?

    who does not believe in any religions or secularism but may or may not have some kind of faith that a higher being is.
    In other words
    what would you call one that is questioning the eixstence of a being?
    and
    another that realises a higher being is but does adhere to any of the religions,cultism, secularism evolutionrism and exitentialism?

    I reveal my answer a bit later on.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Far East (of England)
    Posts
    68
    Someone who just believes in god but has no religious affiliation would be a "Theist".

    But generally I let people pick their own labels and just use whatever they are comfortable with

  3. #3
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai Ent View Post
    Someone who just believes in god but has no religious affiliation would be a "Theist".

    But generally I let people pick their own labels and just use whatever they are comfortable with
    Hi Bonsai thank you for your post.
    I was thinking that a theist would make it the opposite of atheist which I am not sure applies.
    The reason is this
    if it is a theist then there is always that possibilities of them becoming an atheist because the concept is there
    a bit like a poor person might become rich tomorrow and vice versa.
    The word I am looking for has not ins and outs and opposite words, there has got to be something else.
    Thank you for your reply because it made me think.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  4. #4
    Maybe YesNo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near Chicago, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,420
    Blog Entries
    2
    Perhaps "spiritual" would work? I'm not sure what the opposite is except "not spiritual".

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,546
    What you're looking for is 'agnostic theist.' Back when this reader was agnostic, that was where he landed at first. Had a whole journey through agnosticism, actually, pretty much both ends of it.






    J

  6. #6
    BadWoolf JuniperWoolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    4,433
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts View Post
    Back when this reader was agnostic, that was where he landed at first.
    What do you describe yourself as now?
    __________________
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi


  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,546
    Born again fundamentalist.





    J

  8. #8
    Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mountains, SW VA
    Posts
    21,245
    Blog Entries
    133
    I think that terminology is to call someone what they wish to be called. Most Christians I know when asked what they believe will answer with the name of a denomination: Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, etc. An person who doesn't believe in the existence of God term themselves Atheist or Agnostic. Islamic people refer to themselves as Muslims, worshipers of Buddha as Buddhists, of Brahman as Hindus, worshipers of the Earth Goddess as Pagan, Wicca, or perhaps The Old Religion. Voodoo is self-explanatory.

    I would say Believers or Non-Believers would cover all situations. One either believes in a religious definition of God or else they do not.

    Calling someone by a derogatory term is unfair and uncalled for. Best to use what they prefer to be called.

    God bless

    Pen
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

  9. #9
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts View Post
    Born again fundamentalist.





    J
    what does that mean?
    Last edited by cacian; 05-24-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  10. #10
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts View Post
    What you're looking for is 'agnostic theist.' Back when this reader was agnostic, that was where he landed at first. Had a whole journey through agnosticism, actually, pretty much both ends of it.






    J
    Maybe call themselves a person/an individual with different aspiration and nothing to do with religions or practices.
    Just a somoene who prefers to keep god on a private side nothing more or nothing less.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    Hi Bonsai thank you for your post.
    I was thinking that a theist would make it the opposite of atheist which I am not sure applies.
    The reason is this
    if it is a theist then there is always that possibilities of them becoming an atheist because the concept is there
    a bit like a poor person might become rich tomorrow and vice versa.
    The word I am looking for has not ins and outs and opposite words, there has got to be something else.
    Thank you for your reply because it made me think.
    A centipede, because there are no negative ones with -100? If you don like that one, I have others.

  12. #12
    confidentially pleased cacian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,564
    Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    A centipede, because there are no negative ones with -100? If you don like that one, I have others.
    Hey cafolini do go on haha what others have you got?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    I would say Believers or Non-Believers would cover all situations. One either believes in a religious definition of God or else they do not.
    Some would find being called the negation of someone else's spirituality to be pretty derogatory; they may even call it inherent hubris. And the atheists who claim there is no such thing as agnosticism, that's pretty offensive if you're agnostic. We must be inherently intolerant of each other, waiting to swallow whole the next opposite that passes us, sometimes even in the smallest of ways such as word choice in defining the world around us- and it chases us back to our graves.

    This is known as JoH's 'Pacman Theory of the Dogmas.'






    J

  14. #14
    BadWoolf JuniperWoolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The North
    Posts
    4,433
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts View Post
    Born again fundamentalist.
    Good choice.
    __________________
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi


  15. #15
    Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mountains, SW VA
    Posts
    21,245
    Blog Entries
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts View Post
    Some would find being called the negation of someone else's spirituality to be pretty derogatory; they may even call it inherent hubris.

    J
    I certainly did not mean to be derogatory, but I see your point. I guess it's best just to ask them and then use their own self-chosen term
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. You call it nude I call it beauty
    By osho in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2011, 07:04 AM
  2. one last call for angels wing
    By Revolte in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 08:17 PM
  3. what shall I call thee?
    By mazHur in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 03:51 AM
  4. Some Call It Love
    By CdnReader in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •