Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718

Thread: Are Poets Born Not Made?

Quote Originally Posted by stuntpickle View Post
    We've always known what to call Keats: a genius. "Intellectual" is a demotion.
    Hey, look... look at that. I never would have believed it... I think... I'm hesitant to say this, because I'm not sure if I'm misreading... but I think, dare I say... we have reached agreement.

Quick! Go look out your window and check for flying pigs!
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

Dont tell me, I have poits with the word never (but this is infinite, i do not believe it), saying GL troll with a phrase and humorous joking about it as if he was joking about it again. I wasnt even calling him a troll like everyone else... oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntpickle View Post
    I cannot adequately explain how much it means to see you write this. Look, I know you think I "have it in" for you, but what I don't think you understand is that my biggest disagreements on this forum have been with J and StLukes, not you. Agreeing with them isn't a convenient way for me to get at you.
    It was our master plan all long, Stunt

I do not think there is much to say about Keats composition method, which lead to answer how he came to any poetic concept except what Keats speak about, as a natural coming, sponteanous and near to the prophetic visions of Blake than the analytic logical chain of events of Poe's theory of composition. It is settling the difference between what both say.

Now, I am waiting the flirting momment of Miyako when she continue her list of 10 items. Maybe she likes football.

This is really an argument with no clear end. Its answer can only be settled by a point of view. Which by its nature, could never settle any thing. Therefore, if you believe poets are born, that's your answer. If you believe they are made, that too is an answer. But one can never come to a conclusion by two different answers. Cause in theory they may both be correct. We have no way to prove which one.
    Last edited by ShadowsCool; 05-28-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: correction in typing
    shad·ow ing

Correct. After all, I was indeed right in saying that Shadow already answered the question she posed. Tell Morpheus please.

Shadowcool answered it already. "How can one know one from the other? It's such a personal issue."
    "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

--Jonathan Davis

Quote Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
    Dont tell me, I have poits with the word never (but this is infinite, i do not believe it), saying GL troll with a phrase and humorous joking about it as if he was joking about it again. I wasnt even calling him a troll like everyone else... oh well.

It was our master plan all long, Stunt

I do not think there is much to say about Keats composition method, which lead to answer how he came to any poetic concept except what Keats speak about, as a natural coming, sponteanous and near to the prophetic visions of Blake than the analytic logical chain of events of Poe's theory of composition. It is settling the difference between what both say.

Now, I am waiting the flirting momment of Miyako when she continue her list of 10 items. Maybe she likes football.
    One involves a katana. I like wearing my kimono and geisha hair and makeup using a japanese sword as my mirror while my man watches and plays himself-- nice scene in a novel ha?
    "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

--Jonathan Davis

Um, Shadows is a he. I'm not sure sandman cares much for an answer anyway. I think it's the engagement that holds his attention.
    shad·ow ing

{edit}
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCool View Post
    Therefore, if you believe poets are born, that's your answer. If you believe they are made, that too is an answer. But one can never come to a conclusion by two different answers. Cause in theory they may both be correct. We have no way to prove which one.
    My biggest problem with the question to begin with is that it's futile to discuss the terms "born" and "made" if everyone has their own entirely subjective ideas about what they mean. Most here would say I'm all for the "made" poets, but I tried to stress early in this thread that I think there is a continuum, rather than discrete split, between the two. Poetry is, afterall, the art of language in form (and by "form" I don't mean "fixed forms," but all forms, even those of free-verse), and both things have to be learned to some extent. So I think it's a really gray area where the "born" poet stops and the "made" poet begins, or vice versa. Stlukes expressed it nicely earlier in this thread when he talked about how work has to pick up where inspiration stops. Likewise, it seems to me that whatever we are "born" with, the "made" part has to actually be the part that expresses those things.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCool View Post
    Um, Shadows is a he. I'm not sure sandman cares much for an answer anyway. I think it's the engagement that holds his attention.
    I won't deny I enjoy a good, spirited debate, but to have any answer it would be helpful if everyone could agree on what the terminology surrounding the discussion means. That said, too much agreement is like too many fat guys in a hot tub; sure, it's comfortable, but you just end up with some nasty broth.
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 05-29-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: quoting a deleted post
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

~

R e m i n d e r

Please do not personalise your comments.

If you are not ready to accept the fact that your opinions might be questioned by the others, please refrain from posting in public forums.

This thread will now be closed

~
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718