Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Symbolism in the Scarlet Letter

  1. #1
    Justin Williamson
    Guest

    Symbolism

    Steph i disagree with the first part of your review with out the symbolism and the "Junk" it would not have had the staying power that it has all i got to say is think about this how many recent authors can you name that have got the staying power like Hawthorne and others

  2. #2
    ken
    Guest

    symbols

    that was kinda bad. no offense. instead u should do it like:<br><br> chapter one- the rosebush symbolizes hester's beauty and life coming out of the weeds-the puritans. <br><br>like that....its sooooo much easier. <br><br>ok. get it right

  3. #3
    Typheny
    Guest

    No Subject

    Where Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Emily Bronte? No female author is included in the "great authors and novels" highschool students are forced to read. I for one found Hawthorne long-winded and pompous. I will give him the credit that he at least had enough sense to criticize the "iron men" and thier so called discipline. I would also like to note that the Reverned Dimmsdale is the epitome of male existence...even in those times men were pusilanimous jerks who were to concerned about their own well being to take responsibility for their actions. <br><br>The only reason Hawthorne even got credited to a "great" author is because he had connections. His best college buddy was Franklin Pierce aka President Pierce. <br>

  4. #4
    Stephanie
    Guest

    Symbolism in the Scarlet Letter

    The Scarlet Letter is a little slow but if you get through all the "junk" and all the symblism it's a great book. The main theme of the book is sin and guilt. The theme of sin in guilt is the predominant theme in The Scarlet Letter. Hester Prynne is the main symbol of sin in the puritan society. She is marked by the “A”, for adulteress, to represent her wrongdoing to the townspeople. Moreover, Pearl is an even greater symbol of sin: she is the physical reminder of Hester’s sin. Some townspeople think of her as the devil child. The townspeople, at one point want to take away Pearl. They say that either way they would be doing good. Either they would take away Pear, the devil child, from Hester or they would take Pearl away from Hester, the sinner. Chillingworth also has sinful background. In the book, Hester and Dimmesdale even believe that he has the greater sin for deceiving Hester to marry him and then misleading the town of his background. Dimmesdale, however, committed the act of adultery with Hester and never came forward until the end. The character names even imply sin and guilt. Chillingworth’s name gives the impression of his cold heart. Dimmesdale’s name reminds the reader of dim, dark or weak. Prynne rhymes with sin showing her role in the book. And Pearl’s name “suggests a biblical symbolism device, ‘pearl of great price’ which means salvation.” Also in the Scarlet Letter, there are three scaffold scenes which all represent sin. The first scaffold scene is when Hester Prynne is accused of being an Adulteress. She has sinned. The scaffold scene represents committing a sin. The second scaffold scene is when Dimmesdale sits upon the scaffold during the night. He thinks of the sin that he has committed by not standing on the scaffold seven years ago when Hester was accused. The thoughts are so overbearing that he screams. The second scaffold scene represents public sin. The third and final scaffold scene is when Dimmesdale stands on the scaffold and he calls for Hester and Pearl. He then reveals his sin and dies. The final scaffold scene represents revealing sin and repenting sin. The scaffold scenes are the main structures of the book and give the books its theme of sin and guilt.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1

    Help please !!!!!

    i want you to answer these questions

    from the scarlet letter Chapter one 1

    1- this chapter begins abruptly with a forceful descriptive sentence. Explain why this sentence is a good beginning to the novel ?



    2 - what does the word " utopia " mean ? and why it used here ?


    3- explain the references to the cemetery and the jail ?

    4 - what is the " black flower of civilized society" ? why does hawthorne describe it this way ?

    5 - what does the rosebush symbolize ? why it described as " wild " ( not from a garden ) ?

    6- why is a flower from the wild rose bush a " sweet moral blossom " ?

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5

    Luk Dude

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Williamson
    Steph i disagree with the first part of your review with out the symbolism and the "Junk" it would not have had the staying power that it has all i got to say is think about this how many recent authors can you name that have got the staying power like Hawthorne and others
    all u gotta do is go to pinkmonkey.com and u can find a special part just talking about the symbolism w/everything in the book!!! lata a girl

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by sara ls4 View Post
    i want you to answer these questions

    from the scarlet letter Chapter one 1

    1- this chapter begins abruptly with a forceful descriptive sentence. Explain why this sentence is a good beginning to the novel ?



    2 - what does the word " utopia " mean ? and why it used here ?
    used where?


    3- explain the references to the cemetery and the jail ?
    those were two things the puritans purposly set land aside for. a cemetery and a jail.

    4 - what is the " black flower of civilized society" ? why does hawthorne describe it this way ?

    5 - what does the rosebush symbolize ? why it described as " wild " ( not from a garden ) ?
    the rosebush was sprung up from the footprints of a woman earlier. not sure of her name at the moment. sorry. and it symbolizes pearl in a way. and she was pretty wild. =)

    6- why is a flower from the wild rose bush a " sweet moral blossom " ?
    uhm i answered the ones i was pretty sure about. the others i'm kinda shakey on. i don't wanna give you the wrong answers!=)


    and if anyone else finds anything i said wrong. please correct it. but from my notes from school..it SHOULD be right.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sara ls4 View Post
    i want you to answer these questions

    from the scarlet letter Chapter one 1

    1- this chapter begins abruptly with a forceful descriptive sentence. Explain why this sentence is a good beginning to the novel ?
    It grabs your attention and directs you to focus on certain topics.


    2 - what does the word " utopia " mean ? and why it used here ?
    Utopia- a perfect society. Because the Puritans wish the New World to be perfect (see 3)

    3- explain the references to the cemetery and the jail ?
    It is describing how the colonies were not perfect and there was evil adn wrongdoing there as well

    4 - what is the " black flower of civilized society" ? why does hawthorne describe it this way ?


    5 - what does the rosebush symbolize ? why it described as " wild " ( not from a garden ) ?
    it is wild because it grew on its own from the tears

    6- why is a flower from the wild rose bush a " sweet moral blossom " ?
    it shows taht good things can come from bad occurences
    Does this help any? We answered questions almost identical for my honors english class. I wrote what I remembered.

  9. #9
    world's biggest chris
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2

    symbols of The scarlet letter

    Quote Originally Posted by wshill View Post
    uhm i answered the ones i was pretty sure about. the others i'm kinda shakey on. i don't wanna give you the wrong answers!=)


    and if anyone else finds anything i said wrong. please correct it. but from my notes from school..it SHOULD be right.
    Could you tell me where I can find a discussion of the symbols used in the book.

  10. #10
    world's biggest chris
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2

    Cool symbols of The scarlet letter

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    The Scarlet Letter is a little slow but if you get through all the "junk" and all the symblism it's a great book. The main theme of the book is sin and guilt. The theme of sin in guilt is the predominant theme in The Scarlet Letter. Hester Prynne is the main symbol of sin in the puritan society. She is marked by the “A”, for adulteress, to represent her wrongdoing to the townspeople. Moreover, Pearl is an even greater symbol of sin: she is the physical reminder of Hester’s sin. Some townspeople think of her as the devil child. The townspeople, at one point want to take away Pearl. They say that either way they would be doing good. Either they would take away Pear, the devil child, from Hester or they would take Pearl away from Hester, the sinner. Chillingworth also has sinful background. In the book, Hester and Dimmesdale even believe that he has the greater sin for deceiving Hester to marry him and then misleading the town of his background. Dimmesdale, however, committed the act of adultery with Hester and never came forward until the end. The character names even imply sin and guilt. Chillingworth’s name gives the impression of his cold heart. Dimmesdale’s name reminds the reader of dim, dark or weak. Prynne rhymes with sin showing her role in the book. And Pearl’s name “suggests a biblical symbolism device, ‘pearl of great price’ which means salvation.” Also in the Scarlet Letter, there are three scaffold scenes which all represent sin. The first scaffold scene is when Hester Prynne is accused of being an Adulteress. She has sinned. The scaffold scene represents committing a sin. The second scaffold scene is when Dimmesdale sits upon the scaffold during the night. He thinks of the sin that he has committed by not standing on the scaffold seven years ago when Hester was accused. The thoughts are so overbearing that he screams. The second scaffold scene represents public sin. The third and final scaffold scene is when Dimmesdale stands on the scaffold and he calls for Hester and Pearl. He then reveals his sin and dies. The final scaffold scene represents revealing sin and repenting sin. The scaffold scenes are the main structures of the book and give the books its theme of sin and guilt.
    Where can I find more on this topic?

  11. #11
    You and me skasian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    423
    All that is covered in sparknotes - themes, motifs and symbols.. Check out www.sparknotes.com and search for the scarlet letter.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1

    Post Themes of the Scarlet Letter

    Hi, Im a newcomer Im looking at how the sin of concealment was greater then the sin of adultery. Can anyone help me???

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1

    symbolism

    hi i have a little project i have to do and it is due next Thursday and what i have to do is creat an alphebet of words from the book scarlet letter and tell what the word has in relation to the book or what it symbolize and the letters that i need are S-Z Can any one help me i fso could u send it to my email if not it is ok thanks
    [email] [email protected]

  14. #14

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Multan(Pakistan)
    Posts
    6

    very nice..

    hello....guys very nice and keep it up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hawthorn and the Scarlet Letter
    By Unregistered in forum The Scarlet Letter
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 12:15 AM
  2. HELLPPP MEEE!!!!! scarlet letter
    By jess0028 in forum The Scarlet Letter
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 11:30 AM
  3. The Scarlet Letter
    By Ryan in forum The Scarlet Letter
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 07:07 PM
  4. Scarlet Letter Essay: Pearl
    By kay kay in forum The Scarlet Letter
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 07:07 PM
  5. homework: scarlet letter
    By imthefoolonthehill in forum General Literature
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 12:22 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •