Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Most Unfaithful Film Adaptations

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think one thing that is often forgotten is that until the Renaissance, "artists"... painters, sculptors, architects... were all thought of largely as skilled craftsmen. The "visual arts" were not even acknowledged as being among the "liberal arts". A great majority of artists were illiterate or limited with regard to their abilities with regard to reading and as such almost wholly dependent upon the theologians and other educated advisers or consultants with regard to iconography. Artists were also largely limited with regard to an exposure to art beyond the confines of their immediate surroundings. We are speaking of an era before photographic reproductions... or even printed reproductions of art. We are also speaking of an era when travel was difficult, dangerous, and rare.

A number of major artists of the Renaissance including Brunelleschi, DaVinci, Michelangelo, Raphael, Durer, etc... were responsible for beginning the shift from the notion of artist/craftsman to artist as an educated, creative individual (The Renaissance Man). This transition, however, was rather slow. Well into the Baroque era few artists in the north of Europe enjoyed recognition beyond that of master craftsmen.

The real shift takes place with the Dutch Baroque and the shift away from the patronage system toward a capitalist market system. Rather than making art in response to the demands of the wealthy patron, artists created what they wished and attempted to find an audience. Ultimately, this offered no more freedom than the old system. The artist who wished to sell was forced to gear his or her art toward the demands of the buying public. In some ways, the system of patronage offered a greater degree of freedom for the artist who was able to develop a strong relationship with a wealthy patron.

Of course artists have always been free to create whatever they wish... within the limitations of their own financial ability. My studio mate continues to churn out bleak, 14-foot canvases that address the Holocaust by the hundreds... but the audience/buyers are equally free to choose that which they wish to support... and they choose not to buy his paintings. It has probably only been within the last century or so that individuals have had the freedom, the free-time, and the ability to fund their own art as a personal passion (not to say hobby) without the need to make money.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    Well, I think they're all great. I love such an informal accent for Michelangelo. But I digress . . . I don't want this to turn into a Monty Python debate, though I wouldn't be adverse to it.
    Well, talking of unfaithful film adaptations, Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a pretty unfaithful version of every Arthurian legend I've read.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    Well, talking of unfaithful film adaptations, Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a pretty unfaithful version of every Arthurian legend I've read.
    Yeah, but it's sooooooooo much better.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Clash of the Titans = not a whole lot like Euripides' version.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

This isn't the most unfaithful, but since I find it to be one of the most overrated films in existence, I'll mention it - The Shining.

That's like saying Moby Dick is one of the most overrated books in existence.

Nah, but seriously, on a film making level, The Shining is impeccable, and innovative too.

And also an example (imo) of a good choice not to be faithful to the book. But most Kubrick adaptations aren't particularly faithful.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Menard View Post
    That's like saying Moby Dick is one of the most overrated books in existence.

Nah, but seriously, on a film making level, The Shining is impeccable, and innovative too.

And also an example (imo) of a good choice not to be faithful to the book. But most Kubrick adaptations aren't particularly faithful.

I agree about The Shining, but Kubrick was always one of my favorite directors.

However, I'm not sure you could say that about his adaptations... They're not completely faithful (as he takes a lot of creative license), but I generally have found they follow the plot and delve into the characters pretty faithfully... A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Eyes Wide Shut...

I do think it is interesting that almost every single movie Kubrick made was an adaptation (aside from one or two, or the short documentaries he made in his early career)...
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticPassions View Post
    I agree about The Shining, but Kubrick was always one of my favorite directors.

However, I'm not sure you could say that about his adaptations... They're not completely faithful (as he takes a lot of creative license), but I generally have found they follow the plot and delve into the characters pretty faithfully... A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Eyes Wide Shut...

I do think it is interesting that almost every single movie Kubrick made was an adaptation (aside from one or two, or the short documentaries he made in his early career)...

Yes, true enough about the plot and characters, but always with that great Kubrickian touch.

Yeah, it is interesting, a lot like Shakespeare in that regard. Re-working other stories in new and innovative ways, etc.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Calidore View Post
    And all of those were even unfaithful 'faithful' accounts of what reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyy happened. They really believed it too. Unbelievable...

So faithful in fact that Merlin was a grand invention of a Flemish medieval historian.

Yeah, but it's sooooooooo much better.
    Exactly what they thought.

But indeed, it is soooooo much better.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Blog Entries
    There is this Hindi film "Saawariya" (meaning sweetheart) that is a horrible adaptation of Dostoyevsky's short story "White Nights" which I truly loved. And then I saw only the trailer of the Picture of Dorian Gray and I was annoyed at the injustice done to the masterpiece.
    Being taken literally, is like being sent to hell LITERALLY.

“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar

Thumbs down

I Robot tops my list. Basically, the name and the robots is all that remains from Asimov's great novel.

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by dark desire View Post
    There is this Hindi film "Saawariya" (meaning sweetheart) that is a horrible adaptation of Dostoyevsky's short story "White Nights" which I truly loved. And then I saw only the trailer of the Picture of Dorian Gray and I was annoyed at the injustice done to the masterpiece.
    Yep, Dorian Gray was a bit mad. But then, I couldn't finish the novel. Oscar wilde's smug wit was starting to grate on me.

Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    My vote would have to go to The Sound and The Fury. Not only is the casting bizarre, three-quarters of the book are tossed out of the window. We get some incest but it's not quite incest.
    I'm not surprised that 75% of the book was left out, from what I have read on this forum, Faulkner was mind-numbingly prolix and that's why I haven't read him. During the 1960s, Hollywood went big on Southern Gothic and a spate of films followed one another until the genre became a caricature of itself. For my sins I saw a number of them but when I read that one critic described S&F as a fourth carbon copy of Chekhov in Dixie, I decided to give it a miss.
    You're right about bizarre miscasting: what on earth are Margaret Leighton and Françoise Rosay doing in such a film?
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Cool To Have and Have Not ....

Hoagy Carmichael and Walter Brennan plus Humphrey Bogart couldn't save this fiasco of Hemingway's novel.

But Hollywood finally made a Hemingway novel into a decent adaptation with The Sun Also Rises.

Banned
    Every adaptation of Poe I've ever watched.

{EDIT} Also the up-on-its-head adaptation of Stephen King's The Apt Pupil
    Last edited by Summer M; 07-16-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast