Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Downton Abbey baby!

Nobody mentioned this but it's from The Guardian's coverage of the series and now I'm even more glad that I've got rid of my TV.

'Downton Abbey gay kiss cut by Greek state television.'
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    Really? That's so stupid that they cut it. The Greeks of all the countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    I didn't realise that there were Americans in it but why not go the whole hog?

The Offices of Megacrap Entertainments inc.

"Say Mort, I was watching that Limey Downton Abbey on TV last night and its given me a great idea for a movie.
    We could call it Downtown Abbey and set in a ruined church right here in NYC."

"OK, but where's it go from there?"

"Well we could have it as home to some squatters who are really aliens disguised as hippies who are at war with some zombies who want to take over the abbey for themselves."

"Don't forget the vampires Art."

"Well sure, we gotta have vampires. Maybe we could have them hanging in the rafters waiting for whoever wins the war before they attack."

"Yeah but what about the car crashes and explosions. How ya gonna fit those in?"

"Well we could have Sly Stallone play the cop who destroys all the forces of evil."

"What, on his own?"

"No we don't want to exaggerate, so we'll give him a sidekick. How's about that Day Lewis guy?"

"No Art, let's make it a woman. It'll keep the fem critics happy and also grab the girlie audience."

"Yeah you're right Mort and it gives me another great idea. We could get Lady Gaga to play Sly's sidekick."

"But can she act ?"

"Ya gotta be joking Mort? What's acting got to do with it? It's about getting the kids into the theatres and buying the videos."

"Art, that's what I like about the good ol' USA, it's the land where artistic endeavour and big bucks live in complete harmony."
    LOL
    I did not see this until now.
    Well done Emil this is so true haha.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Nobody mentioned this but it's from The Guardian's coverage of the series and now I'm even more glad that I've got rid of my TV.

Lol
    The irony although they should get down here and watch Eastenders. I wonder what they'll make of that. Impose a ban or something stupid.
    It is not about the gay or not if anything it is just about the continuous sloppy fake kisses that I find embarrassing.
    I was just thinking how it must be like to fake kissing someone let alone get into bed with me and fake sex too.
    I know I could not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buh4Bee View Post
    Really? That's so stupid that they cut it. The Greeks of all the countries?
    Lol indeed. Well they are extremely religious the greeks catholics are they?
    I mean in Southern Ireland you are not allowed abortions in this day and age and that is more pressing then a kiss faked by two men.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Blog Entries
    We have similar problems here too with the religious groups trying to dictate what happens in the majority of the country based on a minority belief system. I listen to the American BBC to maintain some kind of clue about what is going on over there, but it's hard to really understand the politics of places so far away.

By the way, I love this show. I am watching through Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    Lol indeed. Well they are extremely religious the greeks catholics are they?
    I mean in Southern Ireland you are not allowed abortions in this day and age and that is more pressing then a kiss faked by two men.
    The Greek religion is Greek Orthodox. although the banning of an homosexual act may have been taken by the TV companyon its own account rather than for religious reasons. In any case it's not something I would have wanted to see. So by not watching the programme I saved myself the trouble of switching it off: that is if I'd had a TV anyway.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Anyway what is Downton Abbey doing in Greece?
    The whole show is such an English setting there is nothing greek about it.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Should the Greeks only watch Greek TV programs?

Yesterday I caught a radio news item that said this year's Academy Award nominations includes a film about Abraham Lincoln. I immediately thought that it was the one about him being a vampire killer but it turned out to be another film. So now that he has become a hot property, will we see Abe destroying zombies, defeating alien space invaders, teaming up with Sly Stallone to save the world from a mad scientist etc etc? And what about the musical potential? Just stick a beard on that Jagger bugger and you've got the perfect Lincoln and two massacres for the price of one, with scenes of civil warfare while the pop group murder the Battle Hymn of the Republic in the background.

Blog Entries
    Spielberg's "Lincoln" is a great movie: "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire hunter" is terrible - almost as bad as "Jesus Christ: Vampire slayer". Watch that one if you want a ridiculous movie.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123