allegedly schizophrenic,
    who was beaten to death
    by the police in California?

Was he somebody's brother,
    somebody's son,
    the creation of some blind
    mute god?

Blog Entries
    Not being privy to the exact circumstances here I'm assuming this has been inspired by a news story. These instances are always shocking and often shrouded in disinformation eminating from "official" sources. I'm assuming there is a specific reason you have ommitted "not" from the question that begins the second stanza, and an "or" before the second. These omissions disguise the question, making it's rhetorical element ambiguous, but still implying that the victim was all three. Very subtle, Prince.

Live and be well - H
    Last edited by Hawkman; 05-09-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Not being privy to the exact circumstances here I'm assuming this has been inspired by a news story. These instances are always shocking and often shrouded in disinformation eminating from "official" sources. I'm assuming there is a specific reason you have ommitted "not" from the question that begins the second stanza, and an "or" before the second. These omissions disguise the question, making it's rhetorical element ambiguous, but still implying that the victim was all three. Very subtle, Prince.

Live and be well - H
    This did indeed happen and the man's last few minutes were recorded as he begged for his life, called for his father while the police were crushing his wind-pipe and tasering him.

It hadn't occured to me to use "not" where you suggest it but if it had I'd have rejected it for the hectoring tone it would have introduced. Asking as an innocent question I meant to insinuate could this really have happened to a fellow human being?

Blog Entries
    I agree and the questions are that which we do not wish to face while we shake our heads, tut tut tut and say, isn't it awful? I think the word 'force' would have been a powerful wordplay here because of its link to the police and the brutality of the crime. Either way, your piece holds up a mirror to our concience Prince.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    I saw the video the other day and felt sick afterwards.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, that is these are the questions we must not be afraid to ask ourselves...
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries

Disappointed in California

Who was the man,
    homeless,
    allegedly schizophrenic,
    who was beaten to death
    by the police in California?

Was he somebody's brother,
    somebody's son,
    the creation of some blind
    mute god?
    I found the poem a bit offensive.

Of course he matters to his loved ones. Of course he matters to anyone that shares the belief to love his neighbor as himself. People are outraged as they should be; but this poem speaks sophomorically of the injustice in general IMHO.

Why bring up whether he was the creation of "some blind
    mute god"; or of a benevolent, loving, caring God; or otherwise I don't know - though your poem's slant is rather telling.

Disappointed in this one PrinceMyshkin, a rather awkward hand here (something I rarely think of your poems).

Ta (no tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Absent I maybe but I couldnt let this one go. The offensive accusation seems to subliminaly revolve around you daring to bring a god into the equation. Cant sit by and let that comment pass. Its bollocks. Its a godsquad response under disguise to anything we appparently should not question.

My dog may yet be dyslexic. I doubt that my dog put fossils of dinosaurs to question my belief in dogs, but lassie should be able to write what she wants without comments based upon ridiculous beliefs given credence through our silence.

best wishes
    Jerry #2

For those who believe,
    no explanation is necessary.
    For those who do not,
    none will suffice.

Blog Entries
    @ Jerrybaldy:

Glad I woke you up Jerrybaldy, you've been missed.

I'm not sure if " ridiculous beliefs" is an ad hominem attack on me, or religion in general, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I do value your input and enjoy a lot of your poetry.

My critique was based on the poem.

As to: "The offensive accusation seems to subliminaly (sic) revolve around you daring to bring a god into the equation" - the poem/poet did; I merely asked if it was necessary; seemed rather contentious to me.

For those of faith, of course "some blind mute god" would cause a knee jerk reaction; and those whose thoughts differ will likewise have a similar antipodal gut reaction. The phraseology IMHO was meant to trigger these emotions - and it did. I found the device unnecessary for these reason. This is not proselytizing; and I've never sublimated with anyone to my knowledge - though I do get gassy at times.

The double wammy against God and Country (God, King/Queen, and Country in your neck of the woods) - from my point of view with the afore-mention remarks included - led to "I found the poem a bit offensive"; and that is a rather mild statement IMHO - and one from the heart.

Dyslexic dogs... luv it. Dinosaurs ? Reee-ally ? I believe in dinosaurs/fossils (and dyslexic dogs) and have always been fascinated with them. My learning to read was spurred on by wanting to know what the encyclopedia said about the depictions of the wonderful creatures. My favorite coloring book as a wee lad was one of dinosaurs. I believe in evolution and the evolution of the ideas about dinosaurs ( Feathers !!! Who'd of thunk ? ). I believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly... and more. Go figger. I'm open minded to many things. I'm just your normal everyday imperfect person.

I've always enjoyed your quote: "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice". - attributed to Joseph Dunninger (magician/mentalist), and others I believe. Though the original context may be in question, I have found the saying to be an axiom in many disciplines.

I thank you for allowing me my point of view re: the poem and look forward to your "lassie's" remarks.

Best wishes, hope you are well, and a double dose of tarradiddle to get you through the day.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

That video was disgusting, heart breaking and bone-chilling.

J

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tailor STATELY View Post
    My critique was based on the poem.

As to: "The offensive accusation seems to subliminaly (sic) revolve around you daring to bring a god into the equation" - the poem/poet did; I merely asked if it was necessary; seemed rather contentious to me.

For those of faith, of course "some blind mute god" would cause a knee jerk reaction; and those whose thoughts differ will likewise have a similar antipodal gut reaction. The phraseology IMHO was meant to trigger these emotions - and it did. I found the device unnecessary for these reason.
    But which was more offensive: that I attributed this brital act to "God" as the one ultimately responsible for it, or that "God" permitted it?

Quote Originally Posted by tailor STATELY View Post
    I found the poem a bit offensive.

Of course he matters to his loved ones. Of course he matters to anyone that shares the belief to love his neighbor as himself. People are outraged as they should be; but this poem speaks sophomorically of the injustice in general IMHO.

Why bring up whether he was the creation of "some blind
    mute god"; or of a benevolent, loving, caring God; or otherwise I don't know - though your poem's slant is rather telling.

Disappointed in this one PrinceMyshkin, a rather awkward hand here (something I rarely think of your poems).

Ta (no tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    If this happens to you and you survive, you will question all gods- from Allah to Jehovah. Poetry is the saddest and meanest enterprise. As it can make you cry and sulk, it can also offend and make you angry. This is the kind of poem which won't make an impact without invoking social (family) or existentialist (god) sense.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

--Jonathan Davis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miyako73 View Post
    If this happens to you and you survive, you will question all gods- from Allah to Jehovah. Poetry is the saddest and meanest enterprise. As it can make you cry and sulk, it can also offend and make you angry. This is the kind of poem which won't make an impact without invoking social (family) or existentialist (god) sense.
    Thank you so much for this courageous and in my view intelligent defense. Those who worship "God" for His/Her omnipotence and compassion ought to have the courage and the respect to take Him/Her to task.
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world." Gandhi

Blog Entries
    Of course if you have faith, you will be faced with reconcilling how something like this could happen without losing all that you believe in.
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Blog Entries
    Always glad to be provocative and always wanted to be quoted complete with a (sic) if I can now get a STET I will die happy. Hell I have always liked you Tailor. But you did................. with hold your tarradiddle from Prince and Dog aside this cannot be allowed to pass, not getting a tarradiddle is a far bigger issue. In the spirit of otherwise perfectly ridiculous people crashing antlers over old books I cannot let this lie unless you give my would be friend a tarra or a diddle or idealy a full tarradiddle.

Yours hoping.
    JB

For those who believe,
    no explanation is necessary.
    For those who do not,
    none will suffice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast