Thread: If you were to die after reading one book...

Blog Entries

If you were to die after reading one book...

If you were to die after reading one book - just one book, which book will it be?

And don't come up with, I will read the book slowly so that I won't die etc etc because nobody cares about your death. What I am interested in is the book that you choose.

I think I should give my answer after a few replies.

Blog Entries
    Really not sure of your criteria here. Is the book so good that you will die of happiness? Is it so bad you will die under torture of reading? Is it so difficult that it will take you until your death to finish it? Is it so depressing you want to kill yourself? You see how many ways your question can be taken.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll go with the Yongle Dadian.

In the early 1400s, a group of 3,000 scholars in the country of China came together to create this information-packed Yongle Dadian. The work was written during a powerful time in Chinese history called the Yongle Period. At this time China was ruled by Emperor Chengzu of the Ming Dynasty. He is sometimes called the Yongle Emperor. The encyclopedia has 11,095 volumes and nearly 23,000 chapters!
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have a funny answer (at least I'd think it's funny), but I don't want to get banned, being on the edge and all, so I'll just give my usual favorite book answer: Moby Dick.

Blog Entries
    You know, I'd want to read a whole stack of comics. Whizzer & Chips, Beano and The Dandy. Why the hell would I go out of this world in adult classic style when I could die in childhood classic style? I'd laugh a helluva lot more - that's for sure!
    Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised - American Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Desolation View Post
    In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust.
    I second that.

or The Bible

I can't decide.

Blog Entries
    It would have to be something by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, because something about the thought of dying while or after reading one of the Russians, seems a sort of ironic perfection and he is my favorite of the Russians.

If I had to choose a specific book, it would be a tough call between Notes From Underground or Crime and Punishment.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Harper Lee's, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Last edited by cafolini; 05-08-2012 at 09:59 PM.

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Faced with the prospect of certain death, there is no chance of my wasting time reading.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    Really not sure of your criteria here. Is the book so good that you will die of happiness? Is it so bad you will die under torture of reading? Is it so difficult that it will take you until your death to finish it? Is it so depressing you want to kill yourself? You see how many ways your question can be taken.
    This is a very idiosyncratic question. You perceive it the way you want to perceive it. I have mentioned the only perception I did not want. Apart from that, perceive the question as you deem fit and answer.

I am enjoying reading the posts here. My choice would be The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner. The introduction to the book has really intrigued me about the book.

Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    I have a funny answer (at least I'd think it's funny), but I don't want to get banned, being on the edge and all, so I'll just give my usual favorite book answer: Moby Dick.
    Give us the funny answer. Get banned if you have to. Make sure you convey it right.

War and Peace

"I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think that they will sing to me." - T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

The Book of Ruth . Reckon I could finish it in time. But actually I'd probably prefer being read to.
    Ah Mutatis-Mutandis. Whither art he? Those were the days of passionate and intense disagreements. We need a few more like him/ her/it /we / thee/ thou/ them / themselves / thyself ... (Pronouns man. RESPECT) Now that's the kind of thing'll get you banned -mod

Islands in the Stream - Hemingway.
    "Some things in life need solitude to thrive. Will only flourish in seclusion and loneliness, without affection hushing and lulling them to sleep.
    The pursuit of dreams is such a thing."

Tom Fitch - Intersection Diaries