Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Imagist

Why don't you say that to your comrade, Morpheus?

This is where we differ-- I don't take myself or your highness seriously, but it's a different story with literature, where I'm as serious as a predator eyeing for a kill.

When provoked by an intellectual bonsai, I can't do anything but nip him in the bud before he grows a foot and thinks he is an intellectual sequoia.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

--Jonathan Davis

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The poem seems more of a commentary on artistic theory than an actual poem, by which I mean your intent wasn't to write a poem with what you think poetry should do--wich should include, from your own words, miyako, "content composed by images, meanings, narratives"--but to spark a debate on poetic theories. That you immediately pounced when someone commented on the obviousness of your intent by commenting on formalism seems to support me.
    Last edited by Mutatis-Mutandis; 05-10-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miyako73 View Post
    Why don't you say that to your comrade, Morpheus?

This is where we differ-- I don't take myself or your highness seriously, but it's a different story with literature, where I'm as serious as a predator eyeing for a kill.

When provoked by an intellectual bonsai, I can't do anything but nip him in the bud before he grows a foot and thinks he is an intellectual sequoia.
    Morpheus is every bit as much of an intellectual as you are. He has a different opinion. That's all.

And Mutatis-Mutandis is correct.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If you don't like intellectuals, I suggest you leave now and never come back (Smeagol quote!!!).

Blog Entries
    So, yes, there's a poem here lost in the discussion:

The Imagist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not ask what brush or stroke painters use
    Or what kind of paint or colors their palettes have,
    Nor do I ask the length of their canvases;
    ... Formalists are dead.

I read the 'I' of the poem to be the Imagist in the title. Whether this is the same as the writer is not really important to me, since the poem is entitled 'The Imagist' and this Imagist speaks from his/her opinion. Similarly,whether the 'I' of the poem says that 'Formalists are dead' does not necessarily mean that the poet shares this opinion. The Imagist in the poem seems to regard images as of primary importance in a text, since Formalism refers to a perspective where form is of primary importance in a text. This reader does not have to agree with the 'I's opinion, but I do agree with the presented characters right to present it.
    Last edited by Silas Thorne; 05-10-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Bewlay wrote:

Morpheus is every bit as much of an intellectual as you are. He has a different opinion. That's all.

"I am not an intellectual, and I hate obnoxious pseudo-intellectuals."

--Miyako73
    Last edited by miyako73; 05-11-2012 at 12:03 AM.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

--Jonathan Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis View Post
    The poem seems more of a commentary on artistic theory than an actual poem, by which I mean your intent wasn't to write a poem with what you think poetry should do--wich should include, from your own words, miyako, "content composed by images, meanings, narratives"--but to spark a debate on poetic theories. That you immediately pounced when someone commented on the obviousness of your intent by commenting on formalism seems to support me.
    This is how it started... http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=68931

Morpheus' BS critiquing became apparent to me when he related "eye" to "eve" because y, to him, looked like v. That was too much for my simple brain.

--Jonathan Davis

Surely the poem regardless whether the writer is the narrator or not is nonsensical because form is painting is not about paint is used, akin to ink in writing, but actual styles of painting - abstract or classical, for example, which one does consider. But if I've misunderstood this please correct me.
    ''Actual self-awareness is the knowledge that we are all characters in someone elses dream.''

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This is how it started... http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=68931

Morpheus' BS critiquing became apparent to me when he related "eye" to "eve" because y, to him, looked like v. That was too much for my simple brain.
    It doesn't change the reason why you wrote this "poem."

And if it's BS critiquing, ignore it and move on. On top of that, his critique was largely POSITIVE.

I know one thing: I'm not bothering to read the poetry of someone who can't stand someone else's point of view.
    Last edited by Mutatis-Mutandis; 05-11-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Sorry, Mutatis. I'm done with it. I moved on already. There are other people here who are really into poetry than what they want to BS around or show off.

--Jonathan Davis

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    R e m i n d e r

Please do not personalise your comments.

If you are not ready to accept the fact that your opinions might be questioned by the others,

please refrain from posting in public forums.

Posts containing such remarks and off-topic posts will be removed without further notice.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Morpheus' BS critiquing became apparent to me when he related "eye" to "eve" because y, to him, looked like v.
    Yes, I got such BS critiquing skills from Helen Vendler who notes how Shakespeare frequently modulated from one word to another based on their visual proximity rather than any linguistic or semantic closeness. So, apparently, you're saying that I BS as much as our greatest living critic of poetry; that warms the cockles of my heart.

A "y" is a "v" with a tail. There is no "to me" about it.
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

Still, on a chalk plateau Bar22do's Avatar
    What's BS critique? Bar, the foreigner

Quote Originally Posted by Bar22do View Post
    What's BS critique? Bar, the foreigner
    ahem. I'm oddly delighted there's actually a Wikipedia entry for that word...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast