View Poll Results: "My Name is Red" : Final Verdict

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend.

    0 0%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

    0 0%
  • *** Average.

    1 16.67%
  • **** It is a good book.

    2 33.33%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

    3 50.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58

Thread: May / Nobel Winners Reading: My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

  1. #16
    tea-timing book queen bouquin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,586
    There's this -
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s54tn

    Haven't listened to it yet, will do so after reading book
    "The years nowadays don't pass the way the old ones used to."
    - ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

  2. #17
    Beyond the world aliengirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Blue Planet
    Posts
    2,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    The only drawback with reading this was my own lack of knowledge of Turkish culture. I did get the strong impression that I wa missing a lot of the cultural references. It's still an amazing book.
    In fact Pamuk uses a lot of old Persian stories and also draws from Sufism. The relationship between the master painter and his disciples parallels the relation between a Peer (Sufi teacher) and his Murid (disciple). Pamuk uses Turkish version of Persian names which makes recognizing the names somewhat difficult. Nevertheless My Name is Red is a marvelous read.
    I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. ~ William Blake

    Captivity is consciousness,
    So's liberty. ~ Emily Dickinson

  3. #18
    TobeFrank Paulclem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Coventry, West Midlands
    Posts
    6,045
    Blog Entries
    35
    Thanks Aliengirl.

    That link to the interview looks good too.

  4. #19
    The Poetic Warrior Dark Muse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Within the winds
    Posts
    8,114
    Blog Entries
    927
    I really enjoyed the three different stories each told by Butterfly, Stork and Olive, in answer to Black's questions about what makes a greater illustrator. I particularly enjoyed, in the story about blindness and memory, the idea about painting the horse, and even if you look at the horse first, you are still drawing the horse of your memory and not the horse you see.

    I think the stories within the story gives if an almost fairy tale like feeling particularly with the reoccurring theme of the story of Shirin and Husrev. There are points when the book does remind me of Arabian Nights.

    I wonder is there any significance in the fact that there were three questions asked of three individuals whom each responded by telling three different stories?

    And on a different subject, I wonder why Esther gave Black's letter to Hasan?

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

  5. #20
    In the fog Charles Darnay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    trapped in a prologue.
    Posts
    2,378
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    I really enjoyed the three different stories each told by Butterfly, Stork and Olive, in answer to Black's questions about what makes a greater illustrator. I particularly enjoyed, in the story about blindness and memory, the idea about painting the horse, and even if you look at the horse first, you are still drawing the horse of your memory and not the horse you see.

    I think the stories within the story gives if an almost fairy tale like feeling particularly with the reoccurring theme of the story of Shirin and Husrev. There are points when the book does remind me of Arabian Nights.

    I wonder is there any significance in the fact that there were three questions asked of three individuals whom each responded by telling three different stories?

    And on a different subject, I wonder why Esther gave Black's letter to Hasan?
    I also enjoyed the stories - I particularly liked Stork's stories.

    I think the grouping of 3s does give it a fairy tale like quality, which may be the point. I am not familiar enough with Islam to know if 3 is as significant a number as it is elsewhere.

    I am still trying to figure Esther out. I have not read far enough to solidify my judgement, but based on where I am right now there is a bit of that "Renaissance idea of the Jew" like you find in Merchant of Venice - that is, Jews only care about money. Esther seems to deliver the letter to Hassan for monetary profit (even though she denies it) - but she also regrets doing it after.

    That being said, it seems like all "Infidels" are corrupted by money (the Venetians and Franks) - and even some of the miniaturists. Esther seems to fit it with the theme that money is a truly destructive force in this world.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

  6. #21
    The Poetic Warrior Dark Muse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Within the winds
    Posts
    8,114
    Blog Entries
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    I am still trying to figure Esther out. I have not read far enough to solidify my judgement, but based on where I am right now there is a bit of that "Renaissance idea of the Jew" like you find in Merchant of Venice - that is, Jews only care about money. Esther seems to deliver the letter to Hassan for monetary profit (even though she denies it) - but she also regrets doing it after.

    That being said, it seems like all "Infidels" are corrupted by money (the Venetians and Franks) - and even some of the miniaturists. Esther seems to fit it with the theme that money is a truly destructive force in this world.
    Perhaps it is all just for the money in spite of her cliams to otherwise.

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

  7. #22
    J'etudie le francais Drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by bouquin View Post
    There's this -
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s54tn

    Haven't listened to it yet, will do so after reading book
    It is amazing to hear the author talking about the book. I was a little surprised to learn his idea of the Islamic culture as community-based in contrast with the individualistic Western culture. I always thought Turkey as in-between the Western and Asian cultures.

    I just started reading the first few chapters and I like the surprising change of narrators and exotic fairy tales.

  8. #23
    Beyond the world aliengirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Blue Planet
    Posts
    2,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    Thanks Aliengirl.

    That link to the interview looks good too.

    Welcome Paulclem.

    I'll check out that interview bouquin. I regret I can't join reading this wonderful novel with all of you. But I'd drop by to see what others think of it.
    I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. ~ William Blake

    Captivity is consciousness,
    So's liberty. ~ Emily Dickinson

  9. #24
    tea-timing book queen bouquin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,586
    Master Osman and the whole lot of artists ,they're all actually extremely conceited, aren't they? The author very effectively brings home this point.
    "The years nowadays don't pass the way the old ones used to."
    - ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

  10. #25
    The Poetic Warrior Dark Muse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Within the winds
    Posts
    8,114
    Blog Entries
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by bouquin View Post
    Master Osman and the whole lot of artists ,they're all actually extremely conceited, aren't they? The author very effectively brings home this point.
    I was quite amused by all their petty bickering's, and jealousies of each other, and constantly worrying about who was the most skilled, or who had the greatest favor of the master. It does rather contrast with the ideas of humility which are presented within the allegorical stories which are told.

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

  11. #26
    tea-timing book queen bouquin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,586
    Don't you just wish that the book came with the illustrations described in it?
    "The years nowadays don't pass the way the old ones used to."
    - ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

  12. #27
    The Poetic Warrior Dark Muse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Within the winds
    Posts
    8,114
    Blog Entries
    927
    I am finding Shekure to be quite irksome, I cannot grasp just what the heck it is she wants, and maybe she herself does not know. But she seems to be playing some game with Black, and I have no conception of just what her feelings may or may not be for him. And as much as she says she despises Hasan she seems to still be keeping her options open with him. She seems to want to get married, and not want to get married.

    When her father gives her his blessing to marry Black she refuses wanting to do so, and says she would not marry against her father's will, than lies about her correspondence wit him. First she declares herself to be a married woman still, but a couple sentences later asserts her assurance that her husband is dead.

    Is she just hoping what some better prospect will come along then she current suiters, but wants to keep her options open so she will have someone to fall back on if she dose not get a better offer?

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

  13. #28
    tea-timing book queen bouquin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,586
    Shekure sure is erratic and fickle, and there's something sly about her at the same time. In chapters 48 & 53 she's at the peak of her powers.
    Last edited by bouquin; 05-13-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    "The years nowadays don't pass the way the old ones used to."
    - ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

  14. #29
    In the fog Charles Darnay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    trapped in a prologue.
    Posts
    2,378
    Blog Entries
    7
    I'm enjoying how everyone seems to be cast in an "impure" light. There is not one human pov character that is not flawed in one way or another. Even Elegant who we ought to sympathize with because he starts off dead, we begin to see his death as a good thing.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

  15. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,046
    Blog Entries
    16
    I haven't read any posts here because I don't like risking spoilers, but I'm a hundred pages in and I have one word to describe the book so far: brilliant.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The new life by Orhan Pamuk
    By vheissu in forum Write a Book Review
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 08:16 AM
  2. Harry Potter and the Half-Baked Plot
    By The Atheist in forum General Literature
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 08:12 AM
  3. Things that spoil the joy of reading
    By blazeofglory in forum General Literature
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 04:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •